Never Without Sugar Again!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi. what does salt do to your soap? when do i add the salt?
im trying to make laundry soaps for business. i want to achieve abundant suds. pls help. thanks

babyanne168 said:
hi. what does salt do to your soap? when do i add the salt?
im trying to make laundry soaps for business. i want to achieve abundant suds. pls help. thanks

It is generally believed that salt makes your soap harder, sooner and sugar adds bubbles. I use honey instead of sugar and I also use castor oil in every batch for even more bubbles.

ETA: My laundry soap works great but I don't worry about abundant suds for that... just for my bath soaps.

HI! Another newbie question! Can I add 1 oz or or tsp ppo to my water then add lye then add as usual to my oils? I cook my oils and am talking about CP ... If I'm doing HP can I do the same? Or do you not recommend salt and sugar in the soap?

Thanks so much! BTW made 3 more batches this weekend of CP (20 oz of oils) and really am having fun! I will post pics in my other thread with photos of my first HP and CP batch. I think all is on track! And like you all mentioned ... Yes I'm an addict!!!
THANK YOU!!!
Anna
www.AnnaPereira.com

loveit_latherit said:
HI! Another newbie question! Can I add 1 oz or or tsp ppo to my water then add lye then add as usual to my oils? I cook my oils and am talking about CP ... If I'm doing HP can I do the same? Or do you not recommend salt and sugar in the soap?

Thanks so much! BTW made 3 more batches this weekend of CP (20 oz of oils) and really am having fun! I will post pics in my other thread with photos of my first HP and CP batch. I think all is on track! And like you all mentioned ... Yes I'm an addict!!!
THANK YOU!!!
Anna
www.AnnaPereira.com

I have only ever made one salt log, but I ALWAYS add sugar. I have not done HP in years, but used sugar in every HP batch too.

Dissolve the sugar completely in the water before adding the lye, then continue as you would normally.

MagiaDellaLuna said:
loveit_latherit said:

THANK YOU!!!
Anna
www.AnnaPereira.com

I have only ever made one salt log, but I ALWAYS add sugar. I have not done HP in years, but used sugar in every HP batch too.

Dissolve the sugar completely in the water before adding the lye, then continue as you would normally.

thanks much for your help. :) such a wonderful website..

anyways, how much sugar should be added? thank you

I use both sugar and salt in each batch:

salt: about 1 tsp sea salt to the liquid. adds hardness to the bars.

sugar: I make up a sugar syrup that I always have on hand, which consists of 2:1 sugar to water, boil hard, let cool, pour into bottle to save for future batches
I slightly reduce the amount of liquid at the beginning to compensate for the sugar syrup.

At trace, I add 1 Tbsp ppo of the syrup. I soap cool in order to compensate for the extra heat sugar adds.

Latest posts

Back