Never Without Sugar Again!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MorpheusPA

Reaction score
I've been playing with sugar as an additive. Although the bars aren't fully ready for use yet and won't be for some time, I don't think I'll ever skip it in the future.

So far, I'm noticing that the soap seems to harden a bit faster. It's also easier to unmold, and doesn't leave the bits and pieces behind in the molds quite as much. Cutting is easier and cleaner, requiring less cleanup later.

My ones without sugar are fine, but definitely for home or good friend use only. I wouldn't give them as a gift with some of the flaws. The ones with look pretty professional, definitely good enough for gifting.

Does anybody know a down-side of using sugar I'm not seeing? Lacking that, I'm buying stock in Domino...

LOL stock in Dominos. I have not used it but many swear by it for added lather. Good luck. I have used salt and like those results.

I'll be standing by...how do you use the sugar? How do you calculate how much? I'm always up for more lather - naturally!

I use a tablespoon ppo. Whether you hp or cp will dictate when you need to dissolve it in your water before you add lye, or just during the cook.

All I know is that it is worth its weight in gold.

Bukawww said:
I'll be standing by...how do you use the sugar? How do you calculate how much? I'm always up for more lather - naturally!

+1 to Galvatron. :D

I add 1 tsp per pound of oil to the lye water and dissolve it before I add the lye. That way I'm sure of a fully dissolved solution of the stuff. Only once has the lye water carmelized a bit, and that was more aesthetic than anything else. A bit of titanium dioxide took care of that.

I'm thinking of doing a small experiment with 2 tsp per pound oils in a very small batch. If it does something unexpected, no big deal.

Points to you for as well!

The 2 tablespoon ppo is for my hotpress, it work perfectly in my soap but I would be cautious to use that much in cold press is you are already having success with 1 tsp. 2 tsp ought to be good.

I've never used honey but I have used chocolate (sweentened, white chocolate and baker's dark chocolate) and the soap reacted exactly as my sugar or sodium lactacte batches so I wouldn't be surprised if honey had a smiliar effect. Except in cp I have read that honey often overheats.

I used my first batch made with honey (milk oats and honey) and it is by far my favourite. A realy nice soft lather. Just wondering if it works differently than sugar.

Sugars: More than just a sweet treat, sugar can improve health of your skin. Exfoliation is the key to glowing, healthy skin.

Honey: Absorbs impurities from the pores on the skin, making it an ideal cleansing agent
honey also offers incredible antiseptic, antioxidant and cleansing properties for our body and health,
hot beauty and skin care tips for ladies, and amazing healing properties as a head-to-toe remedy, from eye conjunctivitis to athlete foot.
Its powerful healing attributes have long been used thousands of years ago and known to promote healing for cuts, cure ailments and diseases,
and correct health disorders for generations after generations. The renowned honey, perhaps the tastiest natural medicine, is commonly cited in many discussions on health benefits of honey.
Honey not only fights infection and aids tissue healing but also helps reduce inflammation and scarring.

sweet treats for your skin

Many years ago, my Dad used to put honey on burns and cuts. Everyone, including me, :oops: thought he was crazy, but subsequent research has proved him right!

I'd like to add sugar to my next batch. In the Molasses thread, someone said sugar makes the batch gel hot. Does that mean it is prone to overheating? Is there anything else I need to know about using sugar?

I added 1 tsp ppo in my last batch and had instant perfect bubbles in my clean up. I do believe I have become a follower :D

My OMH soap is the most splendid soap I have made to date as well...yum!

Newb question again - when using sugar in CP, do you have to worry about the bacteria issues you deal with in a sugar scrub?

Is it any less stable or would it decrease the longevity of the soap?

Bukawww said:
Newb question again - when using sugar in CP, do you have to worry about the bacteria issues you deal with in a sugar scrub?

Is it any less stable or would it decrease the longevity of the soap?

I have never had any issues with sugar in the soap and it seems to make a harder, longer lasting bar too. I never soap without it.

HI All
after reading this thread i added sugar to the next batch of saops and those have become perfectly hard. they will take sometime to cure but i already like what i am seeing. i think it will be great to try honey too. i am planning to make a milk_honey_oats bar next. any tips for this? something that i absolutely need to do to get this formula working?

Apurwa.

apurwa said:
HI All
after reading this thread i added sugar to the next batch of saops and those have become perfectly hard. they will take sometime to cure but i already like what i am seeing. i think it will be great to try honey too. i am planning to make a milk_honey_oats bar next. any tips for this? something that i absolutely need to do to get this formula working?

Apurwa.

I have only made Milk,Silk,Honey with powdered milk added to the oils. The honey is dissolved in the cold water before adding the lye and there is ALWAYS a volcano when the lye is first added, so perhaps if you are using liquid milk you will have to be careful about overheating and burning the milk.

If you are using slushy milk, reserve some of the liquid amount to substitute for water, then dissolve the honey thoroughly in the water and add it to the lye/milk solution once it has cooled a little.

I add a diluted honey solution to every batch. I used to use sugar but like working with honey better... plus I like the label appeal. I'm not sure about hardness but I believe both help to increase bubbly lather. It will also heat up the batch if the lye is already present which can accelerate trace a bit. I tend to soap cool or room temp so this is usually the boost I need to get to trace without having to break out the SB.

For hardness I also add a little salt to almost every batch.

Latest posts

Back