Neutralize a Fragrance Oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GiggleGoat

Reaction score
I have a soap with a fragrance oil that is starting to make me want to vomit every time I walk into my workshop. Is there any way to neutralize the scent with rebatching? I've combined scents through rebatching, but I NEED to get rid of this smell and I don't want to waste a 10 pound batch.

many times, a fragrance will dissipate with heat. I would rebatch it and cook it... cook it real good! :lol:

but you might also want to get a second opinion before you do. The soaps I hate the smell of the most sell the best!

Good idea about the rebatching. My wife, who likes floral scents even thought it was disgusting. I'll rebatch it outside so I don't ruin the house. Thanks for the suggestion.

I know that activated charcoal helps adsorb odour. If you have not rebatched already you could try putting charcoal in a small pouch/pouches and cook soap with it and remove it before pouring.

rebatch is a lot of work. If its still in a loaf or the mold, you could oven process it. That would cook some fragrance off. find the flashpoint of the fragrance and and set the oven to that temp, if its a reasonable temp for oven process. I'd try the easiest option before I did a rebatch... i hate grating soap.

Thanks for the tips. I love the support here. Yes, rebatching is a pain in the butt. I bought a grater for my hobart and it does the job in seconds. Chef turned soap maker has its advantages.

Back