Need super fine clay (especially French green kind) OT?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maythorn

Reaction score
I'm determined to make a soap with this clay but I've decided that the FG clay I get at the whole foods market just isn't very fine and I get too many specks even if I sift it. I have a coffee grinder but I don't know if it would fix the problem since coffee doesn't have to be that fine.

I saw that Oregon Trails has green clay(my favorite supplier so far). That co. carries a great selection with ones I've never seen before. I've used white and red before and not had specks but I don't know about all the other ones around. Always I sifted, though. I just think it's a good idea.

I buy from Symphony Scents and am going to use Soapsupplies.net (love low shipping costs, yay!) but neither has any clays.

A coffee grinder and a hairthin flour sieve did a good job for me.

I reqally like the color of the light green so I'll try the coffee grinder and just keep shifting the clay around til the blades get all of it and then sift and see if it's a lot better. I wonder why it's just been the green kind that's so rough. Thanks Fragola.

I have a steel strainer that has very tiny holes and things you're sifting will "back up" if they are too coarse. Might even be a good idea to do the clay twice or so.

Thank you for the link to Mountain Rose, Hazel. :D

maybe you can try to dilute the clay in more water before adding to traced soap, with green clay I put some water, then add the clay to the water, and I don't care if it's runny, only makes it easier to mix with soap

FreeRabbit said:
maybe you can try to dilute the clay in more water before adding to traced soap, with green clay I put some water, then add the clay to the water, and I don't care if it's runny, only makes it easier to mix with soap

I always do this. But in oil, most of the time and it just hasn't helpod the green kind.

Back