Need ideas..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeadowHillFarmCT

Reaction score
I am going to a craft fair on Sept. 11th. My soap will only be 5 months old by that time.

Any suggestions on what I can make and bring with me to the fair. I'd like to incorporate my goats milk.

I really don't want to back out of the fair because it is supporting a local dance studio's trip to Germany in the fall.

lip balms, and if it's not too hot then solid lotions.
scrub if you have one that you like.

melt and pour soap

Five months is plenty of time to have your soap be ready.
And then add in other items as you see fit. Good luck at the fair!!

Soaplady22 said:
Five months is plenty of time to have your soap be ready.

no, not really. her circumstances are such that she would benefit from more time.

Baby hairbows are all the rage here. Do you sew? Paint?

Maybe if you could list some things you might have on hand or things that you can do we could give more suggestions.

carebear said:
lip balms, and if it's not too hot then solid lotions.
scrub if you have one that you like.

melt and pour soap

I agree with these suggestions! When I attend fairs and markets I always stop at the booths that have all the fun bath/body products

Thank you all for the ideas.... I do just about every craft :)

How about sugar cubes? That is made with M&P so it shouldn't need the learning curve/time to test...

I disagree that you don't need time to test if you are doing easier to make products like sugar scrub cubes....its important to get the recipe right and not just copy someones off the internet.(they might have done it wrong) It takes time to practice making even things like this....and if you are using a preservative then how much and if you don't make sure you are labelling and letting your customers know that if they get any water inside the container that it will spoil. I know a lot of people think that just because its a craft fair that they don't have to go through all the steps involved in running a business in a store or other means but you are as much as risk for issues. Also your customers are also if its not properly made.....and they still can sue the pants off you...

I believe it takes more that a year to know that your product is good enough to sell.....

I in no way want to discourage you selling your soap, its very lovely already..... but there are so many things that have to be worked out before you do. Like getting insurance, Licence, and here in Canada you have to send in your recipes for each product to Health Canada and get it approved. Also labelling can be a big headache and makes such a big difference in actually getting people to buy it. To make it worth it you would want to sell your soap over 5 bucks a bar and as a consumer to pay that much it better look nice. I soaped for almost two before I got into that path and its just this year that I have started selling at my local Farmers market. And it has cost me alot already to get this far. I have made some money but I have put hours and hours and hours developing my packaging and getting my setup together and thats not counting all the hundreds of hours on making it all. And all the hours before that practicing. And the first fall I was so tempted to do the same thing when my neighbor knew someone at a craft fair and they thought of me. But I bit my lip and said no and I am really glad I did because I have learned so much since then.
Its such a good thing that I enjoy it all....even staying up late after my son has gone to bed and drinking LOTS of coffee.

Just think when you are behind your table ready to sell your soap you will be that much more confident and the customer will notice and want it....its so much about selling yourself at Fairs and Markets that if your not confident about what you are selling then how will your customer feel about buying...
I hope I didn't discourage you too much just food for thought....

I don't know what fairs are like where you are, but here there are very few that have labelling or packaging, and it's kinda expected esp in small town fairs. Some just put a printed out list of ingredients in the bag when you purchase...

The pics of your soap look fantastic. I am sure if you put that much effort into some basic b and b products you would be able to make something.
Having a basic understanding of oils, fragrances and EO from soap making is a bonus.

What about bath bombs?
Lip balms but you might need extra ingredients such as flavours and colours.
Those bath saches or tea bag things are cool
Bath melts
Whipped shea butter
lotion bars.
Bath salts
Scented draw sachets
Wheat bags

Just not sure if you could make any of these with goats milk...powder maybe :)

I think you have enough time to trial some things. Search the internet and then adapt it, just do small batches. If you love it, then others will too.

Bath bombs are definitely a good idea. If you happen to have POWDERED goat's milk, you could make some with goat's milk. Bath bombs seem to be all the rage these days, and pretty easy to make.

misslavey said:
Bath bombs are definitely a good idea. If you happen to have POWDERED goat's milk, you could make some with goat's milk. Bath bombs seem to be all the rage these days, and pretty easy to make.

gah, I cannot make a stable bath bomb to save my life. and when I do get good ones, packaging them to hold up to the humidity is an issue for me. but there are some who manage. part of me hates those people ;)

carebear said:
misslavey said:

gah, I cannot make a stable bath bomb to save my life. and when I do get good ones, packaging them to hold up to the humidity is an issue for me. but there are some who manage. part of me hates those people ;)
Oh this is seriously me too. I cannot make a bath bomb to save my life.

carebear said:
misslavey said:

Yup, I also harbor a bit of ill feelings towards those people. Living in the south makes it very hard to keep bath bombs from activating regardless of the packaging. :?

You could make body spray or roll-on perfume. There are many options for formulating those types of things and there are also bases available. If you are willing to go the pre-made base way, try http://www.essentialsbycatalina.com/ She has some very nice pre-made bases and packaging. My oldest daughter is a die-hard bath gel user, so I've been thinking of ordering her unscented base for that. I've heard very good things about it.

More soap...lol. No seriously. I only take soap and sell pllllenty of it. Try doing up some packs maybe. Like six soap bundles. 1/2 cut slices in mixed pack stacks. A 3 unscented bundle or something. I find these work well for me and if they don't sell at the end of the day you've only wasted a little bit of packaging. Some people want a gift style thing or simply don't want to bother chosing.

What about a milk bath mix or something, in the tea bag thingies that Busy was talking about.

carebear said:
misslavey said:

Me too! I think it's too humid where I am.

I'm also doing a craft fair that weekend! I'm making bath salts. I'm trying to come up with other stuff too.

Latest posts

Back