Need Help Fine Tuning

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmlove1218

Reaction score
I reformulated my basic recipe to include my favorite oils and I really like the results. However, I'm afraid that it's a little to "soft" and won't last long in the shower. It currently seems to stay a little "slimy" like a high OO recipe. I don't mind it, but I'd like my soap to last and not melt away.

New Recipe:

SAO - 5%
Avocado - 5%
Castor - 5%
Coconut - 20%
Olive - 60%
Sunflower - 5%

I'm planning to add 1T ppo of salt next time I make it to see if that firms it up enough. However, if that doesn't work well enough, I'm thinking of replacing 10% OO with mango butter. Any thoughts?

TIA!

I don't have any palm or tallow, but I do have lard. I may play around with it in the recipe as well, but at the moment I was trying to make a vegetable oil recipe.

I agree with adding palm/lard to make it a longer lasting bar. I too would up the avocado. I love avocado in my soap. It may also just require a longer cure like castile does.

Another alternative to palm/lard/tallow is cocoa butter. It adds a fair amount of stearic and palmitic acids, which is what your recipe needs to be hard AND long lasting.

Back