Need help conquering labels

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Printing labels can be a challenge. Every printer works differently. I also use onlinelabels.com, and if I remember correctly, you can download a template of any of their labels before you buy them to see if you can get them to work with your printer. They also have their own software that allows you to design your labels. I haven't used that, but I know many people do. Good luck to you, I know what a headache it can be!

Couple things I check with my labels. Is the printer software/driver set to fit the border to the paper or any other type of fitting/scaling? Or does your printer do borderless and is that on? Is your document 8.5x11? Mine is set to no scaling, no borderless printing and I ignore all warning that the image will not fit on the printer. I print out of Illustrator or Photoshop depending upon label though. Never tried to do it through anything else.

I have an HP printer HP4860. It handles most things though the feeder wheels slip a lot. Are your labels off uniformly, side to side or top to bottom?

I've never been much good at labels. Wouldn't even try if round ones were needed. I'd probably print info on one sided sticky paper and then use a round craft punch for punching out info.

I use Gimp and it holds truer than Avery or Word in my experience, and you can make any sort of guides you want for whatever labels you want, and it's east to make changes to content once those are set. Plus it's like Photoshop in that you can really do any kind of 2D thing, you just have to figure out how.

Oh and tell the printer settings to ignore margins, and print the full page. Hey might want to check that in whatever you're using, would be an easy fix.

Are your labels off uniformly, side to side or top to bottom?

No, each one seems to be off in a different direction and it makes no sense at all.

The only luck I'm having is manually adjusting the printer settings for each label and printing one label at a time. It's annoying as heck but at least I'm getting somewhere.

This would not be a solution if I had to print a lot of labels.

Just a suggestion but at the rate you are wasting ink it will probably save you in the long run. I take my label to the library and have them do them. It is 15c for black and white and 50c for color but if all labels don't print correctly they don't charge you. Also, because they can't charge you if it is not all right, those people at my library are printing pro's. They may mess up one page but fix it quick. All I do is make the label look like I want it to and they take care of the rest. Also here office max and Office Depot do printing relatively cheap! Hope this helps!

Thanks Carty .. I'm in a small town and I doubt they offer that service but I'll ask anyway, it's a really good idea. As for having Office Max or anyone else print them .. I don't think I'm printing enough to justify it, especially when I have to change the name and ingredients every so often.

I'm really just mucking around for my own fun, not producing tons of labels for market sales.

No, each one seems to be off in a different direction and it makes no sense at all.

The only luck I'm having is manually adjusting the printer settings for each label and printing one label at a time. It's annoying as heck but at least I'm getting somewhere.

This would not be a solution if I had to print a lot of labels.

Have you tried cleaning your printer feed rolls? They could be slipping. It might help to stack a few sheets of something else underneath your labels in the feeder tray too. That seems to keep things a little tighter for me.

I use the oval labels and am having the worst time trying to get them centered. I had an HP inkjet and had to get a new printer and now have a Dell Laserjet. I can get them fairly close but every time I make a change I have to re-set the stupid thing up. I think making labels is the worst part of my business. I print on regular paper and then when I think it's close I put the label in. I still have a lot of waste and it's really frustrating.

I second what neeners said. Paper punches come in different sizes and can be found at michaels.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I started buying full sheet labels from Online Labels and use a 2" hole punch for my round labels. Much easier than trying to align them. They don't cut through the waterproof labels that I use on my sugar scrubs and body butters though so I changed all those over to square so I could just cut them out.

Nobody has mentioned Microsoft Publisher yet- I use it for all of my labels, and I find it very user-friendly. It might be worth checking your computer- it comes as part of the basic Microsoft package a lot of the time.

My HP (before I killed it) didn't like to print straight either. I have an Epson now, but it still isn't perfect.
I usually keep a tad extra room on my labels to account for any crookedness. I think it's how the paper feeds in. So frustrating though

I started buying full sheet labels from Online Labels and use a 2" hole punch for my round labels. Much easier than trying to align them. They don't cut through the waterproof labels that I use on my sugar scrubs and body butters though so I changed all those over to square so I could just cut them out.

I too completely gave up on the Avery site. :x I print most of my labels using print shop deluxe and love it...most of the time. Round ones do give me some grief so I also just started buying full sheet labels and using a large punch. I have a pretty large collection of them in different shapes and sizes. I buy them at Michael's when I can get a 40% off coupon. Fiskars are my favourite brand.

I was having major problems getting my labels to line up using the Avery site and then I realized that the label PDFs were opening in some sort of viewer that was not Adobe. Once I clicked the button in the viewer to download them and open them in a different viewer (Adobe), they lined up perfectly. Printing from the default viewer was throwing them off.

I was having major problems getting my labels to line up using the Avery site and then I realized that the label PDFs were opening in some sort of viewer that was not Adobe. Once I clicked the button in the viewer to download them and open them in a different viewer (Adobe), they lined up perfectly. Printing from the default viewer was throwing them off.

When I tried downloading them and printing them from Adobe all my font was changed .. the font only stays the same for me when I print right from the Avery site.

I'm using Gasoline Alley (love that font). Is there a way for me to load that font to my computer so I could print from Adobe?

I just googled Gasoline Alley font and found quite a few hits. Pretty font! You can download it from one of the font sites and load it on your computer. I'd run it through a virus checker before opening it just to make sure it doesn't have any nasty friends along for the ride.

I had that problem. Called Avery and they said I couldn't use Firefox. Switched to Google Chrome
and it worked great.

Back