Need a bit of feedback?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahmarah

Reaction score
This was my first experimental palm free recipe. I tried my hand at an OMH bar and I used it today after 6 weeks. The lather was tough to work up but nice when I did. Maybe a touch draggy. When I got out of the shower I felt a bit too squeaky clean. I hate that feeling! I’m sure it may need to cure longer but I’m wondering if this recipe is worth salvaging?
Yesterday I used a thin end piece of a different loaf made a few days after with the same recipe and the only difference was it had jojoba beads for exfoliation. That bar, though very thin, was great—maybe because the beads made it lather easier? Idk. I’ll take any feedback 😊
E74BDD7A-3016-4B50-A3E6-CF396855AA96.jpeg

Cure it longer. If the other bar of the same recipe is nicer, then time is all it probably needs.

High amounts of butters can make soap lather poorly and cause it to be draggy. I find cocoa butter to be worse for both then just shea.

The squeaky feeling could also be from the butters. If you just recently started using handmade soap, you'll notice the squeak more. After.some time, you won't notice as much or not at all.

Personally I would alter the recipe a bit. Reduce the cocoa to 10%, the shea to 20%, increase the coconut to 20% and add any difference to the OO or avocado.

Cure it longer. If the other bar of the same recipe is nicer, then time is all it probably needs.

High amounts of butters can make soap lather poorly and cause it to be draggy. I find cocoa butter to be worse for both then just shea.

The squeaky feeling could also be from the butters. If you just recently started using handmade soap, you'll notice the squeak more. After.some time, you won't notice as much or not at all.

Personally I would alter the recipe a bit. Reduce the cocoa to 10%, the shea to 20%, increase the coconut to 20% and add any difference to the OO or avocado.

Thank you, I’ll give that a go. 😊

The squeeky feeling could also be caused by hard water, especially if you're not using any chelating agent.
Thank you, that didn’t even occur to me. I have some Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate that I was working up the nerve to test drive in soap. I’m a little fuzzy on how exactly to incorporate it—I assume it would be the same as EDTA but I haven’t used a chelator before.

Latest posts

Back