Natural colorant in HP series: Red Sandalwood

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawni

Reaction score
So, I figured since I have several from my dad to try, and some found locally, I'll start myself a series if that's OK with you guys :)

First one up, red sandalwood powder. In my research from the very reputable YouTube, and it's partner Google, most powders I've seen border on orange-ish, but they turn to different shades of lovely maroon-ish to "purple red" to pinkish.

My powder, which came from a very high end market (stall) in Karachi, Pakistan, from a dealer my dad called "the old man" as if he wasn't one himself, was more of a red wine color and not very fine. I wish I had taken a pic of it in the water coz it did look like a nice, dark wine. Next time...

Moving on.. Earlier yesterday (yep, it's 3am here), my soap cooked in about 10mins when I wasn't expecting it to, so I hurriedly dumped some powder (let's assume for example that wasn't my plan to begin with) onto the cooked soap. Oh yes, I HP btw. In my research I read that in CP that's how some got their color and figured, why not?

Utter fail. In terms of color only mind you, the soap is quite nice to use and looks fairly decent, just not sandalwood-y. For those who missed it in the other thread, here ya go. I dare you to find a trace of sandalwood in there lol
_20190124_180312.JPG
For several hours later, that lil bag of powder kept taunting me, and although I am normally not very confrontational, I decided to scorch that piece of.. emm.. wood.. with my lye. I soaked about 1.5tsps of powder in my water (which is still the faux seawater, popularized by @Zany_in_CO) for a couple of hours, strained it and then added my lye. Scorch it did not, but it was like turning water into wine. Color only again, I'm no miracle worker.

I proceeded to soap as normal. I forgot to take a pic at trace (more like I did not intend to because I didn't plan on a narration like this) but here's one about 3mins into the cook. Not very wine-y anymore but I'm not one to whine about my problems. Ehem..
_20190125_030651.JPG
And here's how the batter looked about 12mins into the cook, when I was again almost cursing sandalwood powder to hell n back. Why go through all the trouble and get that color, when I can get that easily enough with.. Oh, I don't know.. Umm.. Yeah.
_20190125_030839.JPG
As soon as those sides turned up the rest followed soon after. All in all this cook took me 20mins from trace to end. Took me longer to measure oils and get my additives ready. Coz yknow, when you already have a beautiful colored soap you just have to add more. Anyway, here it is cooked.
_20190125_030916.JPG
I sent a pic to my dad saying I tried the powder he gave me and still he says "oh you made fruit jam?" Hmmm.. You'd think someone younger might get it but nooooo.. I sent a pic to my SO, with the same message and he says "date paste? where'd you get the dates?" Men... Always thinking of food.

You guys still there? I'm almost done.

I am not particularly fond of plain soaps, I like contrast and I like anything with black in them. Including your souls bwahaha.. Ehem.. So I decided to add in some charcoal, and in the hopes of getting even more contrast with a lighter color, I added in dead sea mud mixed with titanium dioxide. Unfortunately, I didn't make it light enough. Another unfortunate things was, my lovely red soap isn't majorly red anymore.

I've been saying it, the universe is out to catch me by my back pockets and drag me back to the dark side (non-soaping side) and simply refuses to give me one perfect soap. Maybe coz I'm not a winer. So here's a pic of another set of stone soaps. I quite like it actually. Now that I know how to get the color I can always repeat if I wanted a red soap so this will have to do for now. I think it'll get lighter though.
_20190125_024814.JPG
Thus ends this rather long tale, of Dawni and the Sandalwood. A tale of courage, perseverance..... And soap :)

Narration greatly inspired by @Dennis.. And my slow cooker. Coz I had nothing but her, other than the dogs n cats, and my 18month old to talk to all day. And not for this long. Thank you for any who have made it til the end.

Last edited:
Wow.. those are some beautiful soap stones you got there! They look like red Marble:D I actually really like the color you got from mixing the sandalwool with the lye water. Can I ask what your usage rate was?
Also congrats on succesfully swirling naturally colored HP!:thumbs:
Now I'm getting curious what you'll do with the other color powders!

Thank you! And you're welcome, @SaltedFig and @zanzalawi! Glad you enjoyed that hehe
Wow.. those are some beautiful soap stones you got there! They look like red Marble:D I actually really like the color you got from mixing the sandalwool with the lye water. Can I ask what your usage rate was?
Also congrats on succesfully swirling naturally colored HP!:thumbs:
Now I'm getting curious what you'll do with the other color powders!
Thanks, sweets! I used 1.5tsp for what was supposed to be 2lbs but I miscalculated and I ended up with batter short by about 100g. My lye was 1.9:1 faux seawater with a pinch of extra salt, just coz lol

I'm glad that worked after the initial fail. I still have to see how to add it to only part of the batter, instead of reverse engineering with darkeners and lighteners.

I'm excited too! I'm gonna try the ratanjot next I think.

So, I figured since I have several from my dad to try, and some found locally, I'll start myself a series if that's OK with you guys :)

First one up, red sandalwood powder. In my research from the very reputable YouTube, and it's partner Google, most powders I've seen border on orange-ish, but they turn to different shades of lovely maroon-ish to "purple red" to pinkish.

My powder, which came from a very high end market (stall) in Karachi, Pakistan, from a dealer my dad called "the old man" as if he wasn't one himself, was more of a red wine color and not very fine. I wish I had taken a pic of it in the water coz it did look like a nice, dark wine. Next time...

Moving on.. Earlier yesterday (yep, it's 3am here), my soap cooked in about 10mins when I wasn't expecting it to, so I hurriedly dumped some powder (let's assume for example that wasn't my plan to begin with) onto the cooked soap. Oh yes, I HP btw. In my research I read that in CP that's how some got their color and figured, why not?

Utter fail. In terms of color only mind you, the soap is quite nice to use and looks fairly decent, just not sandalwood-y. For those who missed it in the other thread, here ya go. I dare you to find a trace of sandalwood in there lol
View attachment 35416
For several hours later, that lil bag of powder kept taunting me, and although I am normally not very confrontational, I decided to scorch that piece of.. emm.. wood.. with my lye. I soaked about 1.5tsps of powder in my water (which is still the faux seawater, popularized by @Zany_in_CO) for a couple of hours, strained it and then added my lye. Scorch it did not, but it was like turning water into wine. Color only again, I'm no miracle worker.

I proceeded to soap as normal. I forgot to take a pic at trace (more like I did not intend to because I didn't plan on a narration like this) but here's one about 3mins into the cook. Not very wine-y anymore but I'm not one to whine about my problems. Ehem..
View attachment 35417
And here's how the batter looked about 12mins into the cook, when I was again almost cursing sandalwood powder to hell n back. Why go through all the trouble and get that color, when I can get that easily enough with.. Oh, I don't know.. Umm.. Yeah.
View attachment 35418
As soon as those sides turned up the rest followed soon after. All in all this cook took me 20mins from trace to end. Took me longer to measure oils and get my additives ready. Coz yknow, when you already have a beautiful colored soap you just have to add more. Anyway, here it is cooked.
View attachment 35419
I sent a pic to my dad saying I tried the powder he gave me and still he says "oh you made fruit jam?" Hmmm.. You'd think someone younger might get it but nooooo.. I sent a pic to my SO, with the same message and he says "date paste? where'd you get the dates?" Men... Always thinking of food.

I am not particularly fond of plain soaps, I like contrast and I like anything with black in them. Including your souls bwahaha.. Ehem.. So I decided to add in some charcoal, and in the hopes of getting even more contrast with a lighter color, I added in dead sea mud mixed with titanium dioxide. Unfortunately, I didn't make it light enough. Another unfortunate things was, my lovely red soap isn't majorly red anymore.

I've been saying it, the universe is out to catch me by my back pockets and drag me back to the dark side (non-soaping side) and simply refuses to give me one perfect soap. Maybe coz I'm not a winer. So here's a pic of another set of stone soaps. I quite like it actually. Now that I know how to get the color I can always repeat if I wanted a red soap so this will have to do for now. I think it'll get lighter though.
View attachment 35420
Thus ends this rather long tale, of Dawni and the Sandalwood. A tale of courage, perseverance..... And soap :)

Narration greatly inspired by @Dennis.. And my slow cooker. Coz I had nothing but her, other than the dogs n cats, and my 18month old to talk to all day. And not for this long. Thank you for any who have made it til the end.
That second try produced a lovely wine colour Dawni ☺

View attachment 35416

View attachment 35417
View attachment 35418
View attachment 35419

View attachment 35420

it looks good enough to eat :) (sorry I couldn't help myself). whining has nothing to do with it--total whiner here and not having much luck haha. not giving up though!!! as I doubt you will either

View attachment 35416

View attachment 35417
View attachment 35418
View attachment 35419

View attachment 35420

These are so incredibly gorgeous!

Janelle

@Dawni, if you do decide to try it out for it's skin benefits (face mask), please post photo's ...
(We won't laugh [much] if you turn red)
giggle.gif

Back to your wonderful soap - could you post photo's after the cure and of the lather too (please :))?
(It would be really helpful to see how the colour changes over time and how much of the colour affects the lather.)

Thank you @Callie, @Marilyn Norgart and @JanelleTrebuna :)

@Dawni, if you do decide to try it out for it's skin benefits (face mask), please post photo's ...
(We won't laugh [much] if you turn red) View attachment 35444
Back to your wonderful soap - could you post photo's after the cure and of the lather too (please :))?
(It would be really helpful to see how the colour changes over time and how much of the colour affects the lather.)
Sure.. If the baby sleeps early tonight I'll have my teenager paint my face red and take pics. I'm sure he'll enjoy that lol

I have a pic today and it has visibly muted in color. Not sure if your screens show it but in person the red isn't as intense anymore. It's still red red, but the contrast has turned low compared to the other day.
_20190126_134715.JPG
I'll update here after two weeks and then again a month. Let's see how light it goes. And how it lathers at both dates.

Thank you @Callie, @Marilyn Norgart and @JanelleTrebuna :)

Sure.. If the baby sleeps early tonight I'll have my teenager paint my face red and take pics. I'm sure he'll enjoy that lol

I have a pic today and it has visibly muted in color. Not sure if your screens show it but in person the red isn't as intense anymore. It's still red red, but the contrast has turned low compared to the other day.
View attachment 35457
I'll update here after two weeks and then again a month. Let's see how light it goes. And how it lathers at both dates.
I still really like that colouring. The shape of the soap looks nice as well.

Thanks you guys! I like the color too, still red enough for me. Would complain if it lightens up to pink though lol but I doubt it would.

No credit to me for the shape. I used one of those giant ice cube molds.. Then I realized I wanted to see what the inside looks like.. And also realized the cubes are too giant for our hands. So I cut each in half hehe that's the bottom of the mold with that nice beveled edge.

...Thus ends this rather long tale, of Dawni and the Sandalwood. A tale of courage, perseverance..... And soap :) ... Thank you for any who have made it til the end.
Well done. Entertaining read. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to your next episode. :nodding:

My powder, which came from a very high end market (stall) in Karachi, Pakistan, from a dealer my dad called "the old man" as if he wasn't one himself,
Thank you for any who have made it til the end.
"You guys still there? I'm almost done."
:lol: Are you kidding, @Dawni??!?!! I wouldn't miss this for The World!! :D
View attachment 35420

The result of your soap adventure is simply Gorgeous, Dawni!! I Looovvee them!! I want I want ich will!! Your story was an absolute RIOT, inspired by @Dennis or 'howsumever', it was a Great piece of writing, so entertaining dear!!

ETA: Even the color now is beautiful. I think they are going to stay gorgeous, hon. Live with it! :D

Last edited:
Your soap is beautiful!

(...so, I don't even make HP soap, but I read your whole write-up because it was so cute & funny & entertaining. You've got skills, girl! ;))

Thank you @KiwiMoose and @Cellador :D

So here's an update, at almost exactly 2wks. Calling @SaltedFig lol

A pic with flash, in complete darkness haha
_20190209_234920.JPG
A pic under white light, no flash
_20190209_235917.JPG
A pic of the soap just wet, haven't lathered it up
_20190209_235219.JPG
A pic of the initial lather when I rubbed it between my hands
_20190209_235134.JPG
A pic of lather after a few seconds of rubbing my hands
_20190209_235154.JPG
Not sure if "rub" is the word I want lol
The soap is still red, but to me noticeably muted than in the previous pics. The wet soap shows signs of slime, but very slight, not like true Castile slime I would say. Lathers up fairly quick and my hands feel great after. Also, lather isn't white but it's not red either.

Lastly, now you guys have seen where I cure my soap hehehe

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back