My very first CP soap EVER!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmqmama

Reaction score
It's pretty light right now, taking into account the vanilla will darken.

I did a "rootbeer float" swirl.... Hopefully. I won't know if I'm a sucky swirler or not for a couple of days. Haha

I guess I should have asked here first before I threw everything in a pot. :) Here's what I used. I'm hoping I used enough palm and coconut for it to not be super soft. It started with the recipe on soapqueen, then being the rebel I am, I switched a little. :)

2oz each Sweet Almond, Avocado, Castor, Hempseed and Wheatgerm.
4oz Shea Butter
8oz each Palm and Coconut
16oz Olive
6.62oz Lye to 18.9oz water - superfatting is still greek to me.

I used the soap calc on saffireblue - hopefully it does me well.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1381197097.445364.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

:thumbup: Nice one!

It's a bit overly complicated though. You really don't need all those ingredients.
I'd go back to something fairly basic;
20-25% coconut
20% palm
5-8% castor
47-55% olive

You could pick one of those more luxurious oils/butters and add 5-10 % instead of the olive oil. That way, you learn what feel each 'extra' gives and what suits you best.

Wheatgerm and hemp oil are prone to rancidicy. You can use smaller quantities of fresh hemp (you could add vit E as soon as you open the bottle), but I would definitely ditch the wheat germ to avoid DOS.

Also, you used more than full water.

I will try that one after work today. I got the brambleberry soap app last night and it looks like I used almost 4oz too much water. Lol Thank goodness Christmas is stil 2 months away

I snuck the end off the mold, and it's not looking too "swirly" yet. Seems like I can probably unmold it tonight.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1381236145.515926.jpg

Looks great!

I bought some wheat germ oil by mistake early in my soaping career. But used in small % in combination with more stable oils, I found that it didn't DOS (I also live in a dry climate). I liked what it brought to the soap but haven't used it since.

I still haven't made a layered soap like that and I need too, it looks really nice. To get swirls with layers like that, you need to do a up and down hanger type swirl. There are a lot of videos on youtube that show the technique.

It's lovely! I wish my first one had turned out half as good :razz:
Next time, you could bring it to a lighter trace and pour the color you want to swirl in from a bit more hight.

It's lovely! I wish my first one had turned out half as good :razz:
Next time, you could bring it to a lighter trace and pour the color you want to swirl in from a bit more hight.

I am going to do that tonight and re-try the strawberry. The smell is amazing.

Very nice! Your soaps look like a root beer float, and your soap is an especially nice first soap. You can get a more exact amount for the water with this soapcalc: http://www.soapcalc.net/calc/soapcalcwp.asp
If you have superfat questions, you are in the right place, also the right place for questions about how to use this soap calculator, it was a little more challenging for me to learn, but you will love it, once you learn it. I usually soap at 6%, and you will get many ideas on superfat here as well.
http://www.soapcalc.net/calc/soapcalcwp.asp

That looks so much like a root beer float! and that's your 1st cp batch??!!! Great job!

congratulations on your first batch, mine didnt turn out near that nice! and i havent ventured into using colors yet. I have been making soaps for four years now!! ha ha. it looks really good, and like the others, i now want a root beer..... :)

Latest posts

Back