My orphan oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allane

Reaction score
I am on a mission to use underutilized oils to make soap and i am doing quiet well. I have however come across an oil called oil of inoy kernel or pogo eleosa. Information about it is very scarce but there was an entry in a 1906 article that the saponification value is 304 and iodine number is 89.75.

This is the recipe i am coming up with

Coconut oil 1000 grams
Oil of inoy 70 grams

My question then is how do i calculate the lye necessary for this soap if i want to superfat at 10 %. By the way, the oil is solid at room temperature and has a high oleic acid content and even almost smell like olive oil.

I will be grateful for any help. Thanks.

Allane

Is the SAP number some alternative scale? I'm only familiar with the weight ratio scale where your sap number is amount of lye to your oils. Can somebody explain?

Last edited:
I'm certainly no expert but on googling: the SAP value of any oil is the amount in mg of potassium hydroxide (KOH) needed to saponify 1g of that oil.

All oils have their own value which is why it's super important to run every recipe through a lye calculator.

For bar soap we use sodium hydroxide (NaOH) and my reading states the SAP values relate to KOH so need to be converted for NaOH by dividing the SAP value by 1.403.

Personally I would never try to work these out myself, I would always use a calculator.

Obviously in this case though Allane needs to know the SAP as the oil in question isn't listed in the calculator.

What I would do is try to find a oil that has the same or nearly the same SAP value and use it in a calc to find your lye amounts.
Thanks Obsidian. I will use the values of canola oil because i had read somewhere that it has very close SAP values I just cant remember where i read that.. I will therefore go ahead and make the soap on monday and keep my fingers crossed to see the kind of soap i get.

Allane

Latest posts

Back