My Mailing Tube Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GGMA0317

Reaction score
I know the color isn't very exciting lol but I make my soap for people with sensitive skin. So I don't use colorants or fragrances. I do use E/O's and certain oils that provide color. This is a OO soap with a blend of patchouli and oak moss.
I've used mailing tubes to make round soap for 15 years with no complications.

These tubes are made of PET so storing lye or a lye solution will cause them to warp over time. I ALWAYS use a liner but I've never had damage to my tubes from exposure to raw soap. There was a thread with instructions but it has been deleted. If anyone is interested in using these, I get them from Uline. If anyone is interested in instructions, feel free to message me.
Thanks and Happy Soaping

I forgot to mention that this 3X18 mold makes a 47 oz batch. I like the look of this oatmeal and lavender soap. I will be making more soon.

Attachments

• 20200419_102651.jpg
    20200419_102651.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 20200420_111433.jpg
    20200420_111433.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 20200420_105133.jpg
    20200420_105133.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200419_102137.jpg
    20200419_102137.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 20200423_144101.jpg
    20200423_144101.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 29
I like to circle shape. It adds variety. I have a Pringle’s container in the closet waiting to be used. Maybe I’ll make my whipped soap in it. You inspire me!

Thanks! I use Freezer paper. This tube is 3X18 and it fits perfectly inside. You can tape the paper together before inserting or allow it to overlap. I didn't tape this batch but I usually do.

Thanks! I used a Pringle can and it half exploded lol it was a bit messy. I was so disappointed because I really wanted round soap. So I ended up experimenting with other stuff until I found these. There is a member that uses silicone baking mats to line her PVC and it gives a nice texture to the edges. I haven't tried it but I'll be looking into something similar.

so pi times the diameter?
3 X 3.14 for the circumference X the length.
I have ordered soapcrafters 3" silicon mold, it hasn't arrived yet. everyone says getting the soap out is a bit tricky, one video had them putting a little water in, which seems slippery. it will be another adventure! I want round soap and will line with freezer paper if I need to. Also, that seems better than banging on it as was shown in another video. Thanks for the tip.🙂

Another thing that works really well are the cardboard cores from rolls of paper. I work (well, did work) in a print shop and we always have extras of these laying around. The ones we have are 3" by 3' in length and can be cut down to size with a hack saw. They insulate well; I had one batch almost overheat. You just have to figure out a way to seal it at one end.

Your soap is lovely, @GGMA0317. I love a clean, simple looking soap.

20200402_103531.jpg

so pi times the diameter?
3 X 3.14 for the circumference X the length.
I have ordered soapcrafters 3" silicon mold, it hasn't arrived yet. everyone says getting the soap out is a bit tricky, one video had them putting a little water in, which seems slippery. it will be another adventure! I want round soap and will line with freezer paper if I need to. Also, that seems better than banging on it as was shown in another video. Thanks for the tip.🙂
No, it's pi multiplied by the radius squared, then multiply that by the mold height. Here's a video from Soaping 101 that shows:

I'm thinking the mailing tube caps should fit those. They are sturdy but flexible. I sometimes struggle to get them on the tubes. But I'd try it lol I did see cardboard tubes at Uline but I thought the plastic would hold up longer. I soap at room temp for every mold regardless of the material. Once when I soaped a bit warmer, I had a cracked top where the soap rose a bit in the middle. It reminded me of the alien movie. I have photos and I'll post when I find them.
Thanks!😊

Last edited:
Your soaps are beautiful! I love round soap and currently use lined pvc. I’ve also used Pringle’s cans.

Thanks😊 I hope it helps someone. I tried the Pringle and PVC as molds but they didn't work for me. Pringle cans scare me 😄

No, it's pi multiplied by the radius squared, then multiply that by the mold height. Here's a video from Soaping 101 that shows:

Thanks, but not the volume of the tube, I just have trouble wrapping my head around how to cut the paper liner. The inside of a circle throws me! duh. I think the volume is already decided, and I have mastered that calculation recently, thanks to this group.

Take the tube and place it on the freezer paper. Roll and wrap the paper around the tube. Cut it with a bit of overlap and drop it in the tube. You can also tape it at the point where it meets. Is that what you were looking for. I never measured it as I've done it so many times I just eyeball it.

Thanks, but not the volume of the tube, I just have trouble wrapping my head around how to cut the paper liner. The inside of a circle throws me! duh. I think the volume is already decided, and I have mastered that calculation recently, thanks to this group.
OOOHHH! My mistake. For the paper, do what @GGMA0317 suggests. Much easier that way!

Correction and FYI- These tubes are made of PETG and the caps are made of Vinyl.
PETG has a melting point of 500F.

I thought I'd update this info in case someone needed to know or was confused. And because I just ordered different sizes I thought I'd have Uline verify the material of the tubes because it is no longer listed on the site. Only the caps are.
Ok, that's about it.
Happy Soapday! 😄

everyone says getting the soap out is a bit tricky,
The main thing to remember is to leave a little head room at the top when filling. Don't fill all the way up. Stop about 1/4 " - 1/2" from the top and the soap will be a lot easier to remove.
You can also stick it in the freezer for an hour. Wait 5 minutes. Then run a little warm water on the outside of the mold and the soap slips out. :thumbs:

I don't have issues with removing the soap from this mold. I push it through. I don't fill to the rim either but not because it makes pushing it through any easier. I've only used the freezer trick when I was trying like hell to remove soap from pvc. Thankful I've never had to do that with these.

Latest posts

Back