My Hot Process Start to Finish---Pics and Long

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amanda131

Reaction score
Ok, I tried again and took pics. I used Tess' recipe of
60% Olive
12%Co
12%PK
7%Castor
9%Shea

I did a one Pound batch and added one TBL of sugar to my water, Took out two TBL of water and added Two TBL of pumpkin Puree at Trace. I wanted it extra Orange so I added Color after the cook. You will see in the pics. Brace youselves.....I took A LOT of pictures!

Here are my oils melting. I let them melt completley. They were almost done here.

DSCN1000.jpg

Here the lye is getting mixed in and getting to trace

DSCN1001.jpg

Here is Trace, it's hard to see because it's pretty "frothy" but it was there, I swear.....
DSCN1002.jpg

Now for the pumpkin.....mixed it all the way thru
DSCN1003.jpg

stages of the cook.......
DSCN1004.jpg

At this point, I stired it......
DSCN1005.jpg

After a few checks, No Zap, add 1 TBS FO
DSCN1006.jpg

Adding the color, it looks reder than I wanted, I'm hoping it gets oranger! But see how it's got white chunks now??
DSCN1007.jpg

Here it is in the mold. See the Chunks??
DSCN1008.jpg

Here's a close up of a chunk. Do you think I"m scraping the sides?(sorry this one is a littly blurry)
DSCN1011.jpg

I just don't understand the chunks. I can only figure I"m scraping the sides, but it's so hard not to! I feel like i'm wasting soap! Any ideas? Or do you agree? Do you see me doing anything wrong? Sorry this is so long I just want to know I'm doing it right! This just may not be my process! I just really like the faster cure time! Thanks everyone!

I'd say the chunks are pieces of dried soap from the side. That happens to me on occasion too and they definitely won't take the color. You could scoop it out for some other project down the line.

You'd think you were an ole pro:)

As for the sides getting hard because they're cooling, I keep scraping and mixing in the cooled "chunks" into the warm soap while I'm getting the soap to cool down enough to add my fo or eo. This seems to melt down the chunks well for me.
I use one mold, not individual ones but as I'm adding the soap to my mold I fill the bottom with the very warm soap and then I scrape the sides and put that in the mold and then quickly add the rest of the warm soap on top, tap the mold on the counter a few times and then I use wax paper on top to smooth and keep the heat in. This works to get all the "chunks" melted and when I cut I have nice smooth soap, not a "chunk" in site:)

Wow Thanks!! I know I should use a regular mold but I REALLY want these cute pumpkins!!!! I know I can make this work. Maybe I just need to stir more often to keep the sides clean and then I wouldn't have the dry soap on the edges......or should I just let the edges go and move on with my life..........

While the soap is cooking I stir every now and then and make sure I scrap the sides well.
I'd also try adding my colorant before it's done cooking and then you shouldn't have the white chunk problem.

Please post a pic when you can, I want to see the finished product, the molds are too cute!

thanks, amanda! i was wondering about the HP procedure. i, too, want to see the finished product! :)

also, i personally like the white chunks, as it makes it more rustic :)

I can't wait to see them come out of the mold!

Amanda,

If you are doing only one color then you can add that at trace. That should help eliminate white chunks...however if you are using oxides or ultramarines to color, the color may migrate away from the soap that is touching the side of the crockpot because of the heat.
I know most people say don't stir during the cook, but I always do every several minutes or so to scrape the soap away from the sides of the crockpot. This helped from getting that dry layer of soap chunks from forming around the sides of the crockpot, and thus less white chunks in the soap.

I used a Pumpkin Pie FO

DSCN1012.jpg

I'm just not happy with these, They are cute and all, just not smooth like I would like.....

DSCN1014.jpg

Here is a close up of the "chunks" it just annoys me......

Latest posts

Back