My first soap with mica

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abby

Reaction score
Got so disappointed with pink soap it gelled even when i put it in the freezer for 45mins then kept in the fridge. When infound out it was gelling i put it back to the freezer overnight but still turned brown. No trace of pink at all.

It’s coconut oil soap with 20% superfat.

Attachments

• DB33E515-3F96-472F-8B87-1B423772A6C5.jpeg
    DB33E515-3F96-472F-8B87-1B423772A6C5.jpeg
    43 KB · Views: 78
  • BD6AA64D-7EAA-4246-8202-6C0450D76E62.jpeg
    BD6AA64D-7EAA-4246-8202-6C0450D76E62.jpeg
    25.3 KB · Views: 81
  • C8C90984-C3B8-45B7-88D8-F37F08CDE254.jpeg
    C8C90984-C3B8-45B7-88D8-F37F08CDE254.jpeg
    32.3 KB · Views: 66
I have never gelled my soaps, not sure why that happened. Hopefully someone else can tell. But sometimes mica can morph in color 24 hours later.

It probably still good though. Just check the ph, and let it cure.

Did you fragrance? A strong vanilla can overcome a light hand with mica

Gelling isn't what made it turn color. If it was, the soap in the cavity mold would still be pink.
Where did you get the mica? It also looks like your soap got really hot, did you use additives?

To address the gelling (I know it’s not your actual concern right now), did you take a temp before combing everything? Coconut oil does like to get hot on you. If your soap gelled in the freezer it is something to consider for future batches

Gelling isn't what made it turn color. If it was, the soap in the cavity mold would still be pink.
Where did you get the mica? It also looks like your soap got really hot, did you use additives?
Hi. I use small amount of coconut milk(canned). I just remember. It became orangy-yellowish, not brown

To address the gelling (I know it’s not your actual concern right now), did you take a temp before combing everything? Coconut oil does like to get hot on you. If your soap gelled in the freezer it is something to consider for future batches
No i didnt. I just used my sense of feeling by touching the glass

It's likely your mica isn't high PH stable and morphed since you didn't use any fragrance.
Is there a way to know which mica to use?

Attachments

• BEC41F25-B404-4EA5-9E27-A7704CEF9905.jpeg
    BEC41F25-B404-4EA5-9E27-A7704CEF9905.jpeg
    35.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited by a moderator:
No i didnt. I just used my sense of feeling by touching the glass

I'm not sure where you're located but a reputable company that sells soapmaking supplies would be the place to go. If you are in the states, places like Mad Micas, Nurture Soap Supplies, TKB Trading etc.....

The milk may be the culprit, as anything with sugars will turn the soap brown, although I’ve made coconut oil soap replacing the water 100% with coconut milk and it was really white. It started to get hot on me though and cracked a little on top...

I've used full milk replacement and never got brown soap, creamy light beige yes. Even with full gel (I gel all my soaps) It doesn't look like it overheated at all. Still think it's the colorant she used.

I'm not sure where you're located but a reputable company that sells soapmaking supplies would be the place to go. If you are in the states, places like Mad Micas, Nurture Soap Supplies, TKB Trading etc.....
Im in UAE ☹️ We dont have those here

I've used full milk replacement and never got brown soap, creamy light beige yes. Even with full gel (I gel all my soaps) It doesn't look like it overheated at all. Still think it's the colorant she used.
Hi. Yes i think its the colorant, its not even beige just yellowish orangy. It’s pretty though but still not pink

The milk may be the culprit, as anything with sugars will turn the soap brown, although I’ve made coconut oil soap replacing the water 100% with coconut milk and it was really white. It started to get hot on me though and cracked a little on top...
Maybe it’s the colorant i bought online. I hope it will not spoil though because of coconut milk.

Attachments

• 1520FA44-133E-46B7-A1B1-4E9DA02DF100.jpeg
    1520FA44-133E-46B7-A1B1-4E9DA02DF100.jpeg
    25.5 KB · Views: 25
It won't spoil, coconut milk is a good additive. When you buy micas, make sure it says for use in cold process or ph stable.

It won't spoil, coconut milk is a good additive. When you buy micas, make sure it says for use in cold process or ph stable.
Thanks for this info. I will check next time

Hi. I contacted the seller, it is a stable mica (10-60 microns). i guess i have to make a new one and see... thanks for the info. Will keep that in mind next time i buy

You can mix up a little lye solution and add the mica to that, see if the color changes. Did the seller say it stable or PH stable? I'm thinking there is a difference and I can't figure out what the micron size has to do with it.

I'm thinking the seller isn't being clear on what it's stable for. Try as obsidian recommends. I don't think micron size has anything to do with it either. It's either High PH stable for CP/HP soap or it's meant for MP or B&B. Is it at least skin safe?

You can mix up a little lye solution and add the mica to that, see if the color changes. Did the seller say it stable or PH stable? I'm thinking there is a difference and I can't figure out what the micron size has to do with it.
Hi, they sent the mica guidelines and it shows CP stable.

I'm thinking the seller isn't being clear on what it's stable for. Try as obsidian recommends. I don't think micron size has anything to do with it either. It's either High PH stable for CP/HP soap or it's meant for MP or B&B. Is it at least skin safe?
Hi. This is getting complicated. Lol.

Particle Size 10-60 μm = pearl luster with medium hiding power

Yes will try mixing with lye. So if it changes color meaning not ph stable correct?

Micron size matters if you are going to use it in leave on products (see link below), and also when you mix micas together to create your own custom colors. I don't remember exactly how much of a difference in micron size impacts color mixtures, but it was mentioned in a workshop I attended last year. I think the gist was the closer is micron size two or more micas are, the better they will blend together when mixing custom colors.

https://nurturesoap.com/blogs/soap-making-rules/size-matters-micron-size-and-mica

Also, here is another link about micas use in soap. It is recommended to do small test batches when using new-to-you products in your recipes, even colorants.

Latest posts

Back