my first body lotion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

islandbeauty

Reaction score
hi all, just wanted to share with you that i made my first body lotion and it came out great, smells real good too...before i made it i really thought that it would come out too thick or watery, but it did not...i'm really enjoying all this crafting from mmu, soaps and lotions....it's a geat way for me to know what goes into the products i make, being that i have verry sensitive skin. No more store bought makeup, soaps or lotions and creams for me...yay!! :D

that's GREAT!
since I too have sensitive skin, I'm curious what preservative you decided on.

Kitn said:
Good for you , doesn't it feel great to make your own great skin products .

Kitn
yep, it sure does....better to know what you put in it....gotta go and order more supplies to make other stuff, lol....i'm addicted to ordering supplies for what i make... :lol:

That's wonderful! I've had issues with store bought lotions forever. I'm always itchy - and I'm sure making my own stuff would solve a lot of my issues.

Happy creating!

i'd like to find a good recipe. haven't looked to see if there are any here, or not. can you recommend a good forum?

i like the BBW body creams, because they're nice and thick and moisturizing, but i don't like that 15.25 minutes later you're still rubbing, trying to get your hands dry.

almost bought some of WSP's goat's milk and bee's wax body butter base, because after 2 minutes it's supposed to feel dry. got tons of good reviews.

was yours hard to make? sounds tre' cool!!

CibariaSoapSupply said:
That's wonderful! I've had issues with store bought lotions forever. I'm always itchy - and I'm sure making my own stuff would solve a lot of my issues.

Happy creating!
thanks, store bought lotion never worked for me they were either too greasy, did not moisturize enough or made me itchy. so far the lotion that i made is working well...my husband even likes it...

Saltysteele said:
i'd like to find a good recipe. haven't looked to see if there are any here, or not. can you recommend a good forum?

i like the BBW body creams, because they're nice and thick and moisturizing, but i don't like that 15.25 minutes later you're still rubbing, trying to get your hands dry.

almost bought some of WSP's goat's milk and bee's wax body butter base, because after 2 minutes it's supposed to feel dry. got tons of good reviews.

was yours hard to make? sounds tre' cool!!
actually it was not hard to make, i thought that it would be and was afraid that i would mess it up, but it was easy and alot of fun....as far as forums this is about the only one that i go to and don't find the other forums helpful as i find soapmaking forum...i was just going through youtube and found one but used the oils and butter that i wanted....this is what i used to make my lotion....oil phase: 3oz shea butter, 2oz jojoba oil, 1oz coconut oil, 1/2 tsp vitamin E oil, 1.5 oz polowax NF water phase: 1tablespoon glycerine, 1tsp preservastive i used 1/2tsp. cosmocil CQ and 1/2 tsp optiphen and 16 oz distilled water, but i used orange essential water instead. you heat up all your ingredients that are in the oil phase, make sure the polowax and butter is completely melted...combine your water and glycerine together then carefully pour your heated oils into the water phase, use a stick blender to mix it all together as you pour your oils for a few seconds then add your preservatives then continue to blend until you see it thicken up a little...i just blended mine for a few minutes, then i just poured it into containers and let it sit at room temperature for about an hour, it should thicken up but not too much, mine turned out almost souffle-like and was happy with the results and so was my hubby...oh if you want you can fragrance too, all i used was 1/2 tsp. of fragrance oil as i don't like it too strong...Note: you don't have to use optiphen it was just a preference that i used it with cosmocil CQ...hope it works out for you if you decide to make it....let me know how it turns out... :)

sounds great!

any tips on buying the shea butter? i've read it really varies from supplier to supplier and from grade to grade

Saltysteele said:
sounds great!

any tips on buying the shea butter? i've read it really varies from supplier to supplier and from grade to grade
www.organic-creations.com i get my supplies through this site...been trying to post this earlier but could not post, then tried pming you, but didn't work either, mango butter would be good too, i have tried this butter and is really nice...hth :)

yes, it does!

thank you, very much!

wish i had the stuff to make it right now!! lol (i have little patience - imagine me looking at my soap every day until it's ready) :)

Saltysteele said:
yes, it does!

thank you, very much!

wish i had the stuff to make it right now!! lol (i have little patience - imagine me looking at my soap every day until it's ready) :)
you are most welcome, i know what you mean, i'm pretty much the same way... :)

Salty: Ive only made a couple so far myself,but the sites I found useful,for explainations,& simple formulas are mms,snowdrift farm,Aussie Soap Supplies. And do a youtube search,there's some great stuff on there! I don't have the link,but glorybee has a series of youtube vids on bodybutter,bathbombs,all kinds of stuff. Seeking this stuff out is half the fun! :)

I've been tweaking mine for about a year and my mom is one of my main testers. I was painting her house all weekend while she was out of town and I kept using "her" (read: my) lotions so my hands wouldn't die. Well, because I give her more lotion than she can use she's got quite a backlog so I got to revisit a bunch of my first efforts... WOW, have they changed!

It was very interesting!

Latest posts

Back