My Docs Advice re - lye burns.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relle

Administrator & Bunny Fanatic
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apart from the fact I feel like I have been sandblasted on the face with liquid nitrogen today from my skin cancer check, I asked the dermatologist while I was there about my lye burns I gave myself in January.

Her advice to me was to wash,wash,wash with water(that still won't do too much to stop the burn).I told her I used fresh aloe plant on them and apparently she didn't like that idea either,so said the only thing she would recommend would be burn cream from the chemist.

So looks like I will go and get some next time I'm in there just to have on hand in case of accidents and get this - SHE DOESN'T WANT ME TO USE MY OWN SOAP. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Relle.

Silly doctor. Just ignore her. :lol: One of the best things for burns (after you flush with water etc) is neat Lavender oil. I touched a soldering iron once to see if it was hot (it was) and after running my finger under cold running water for a long time, I just put lavender on it and it didn't even blister and healed really fast. :wink:

About my soap? I have some dry patches of skin on my body (dermatitis) and she wants me to use Sunlight soap as its mild.

I told her I've been using my own soap for about a month and found that my skin didn't dry out as much as if I used a commercial one. I think she was worried about how much lye I was using in it. Told her I was trying different SF % and she didn't want anything that produced a lot of lather.

Think I'll just use my own soap.

Relle.

Jenny, I've had a couple of burns with soldering irons too when I was doing leadlighting. So, lavender oil it is then and I bet you smelled nice too. :lol:

Dagmar, I always have a large bottle of vinegar. Suppose to be good for cleaning, but hey who wants to clean. :shock: Its nice on your fish and chips though. :lol:

Relle.

Relle9 said:
About my soap? I have some dry patches of skin on my body (dermatitis) and she wants me to use Sunlight soap as its mild.

I told her I've been using my own soap for about a month and found that my skin didn't dry out as much as if I used a commercial one. I think she was worried about how much lye I was using in it. Told her I was trying different SF % and she didn't want anything that produced a lot of lather.

Relle.

I think we tend to overdo the washing with our beautiful soap. I know that I was overdoing the handwashing and ended up with nasty rash. I moisturise more often now if I'm testing soaps a lot.

Relle, maybe just wash the smelly bits with soap and leave the areas with dry patches alone for the time being. I know it's difficult not to play with your bubbles though. :lol:

Just wash the smelly bits....hehe.. thats funny Bubbles.

Sunlight soap she says!! Wow. Sunlight would have to be harsher than handmade soap. Surely. Amazing how misinformed people can be.
Or maybe I'm just handmade soap brainwashed..... literally... pun intented....rofl.

Relle9 said:

Relle.

Sorry a bit of topic, but sunlight soap - I was thinking about that today, reminds me of my mum, she always used it, and as kids we washed our hair with it, made it really shiny. Does anyone know what its made of? Is it 100% olive oil?

Found this in a google search.
Without actually going into the supermarket to see for myself cant be certain its fact.

As copy & pasted:
ingredients listed on the packet of Sunlight soap are:
Sodium tallowate, water, sodium cocoate, and/or sodium palm kernelate,
glycerin, fragrance, sodium chloride, titanium dioxide, etidronic acid,
tetrasodium EDTA.

I always thought sunlight soap was for the laundry :?:

For lye burns I totally agree with the doctor. The first thing is rinse rinse rinse tins than rinse.

Bad burns are tremendously susceptible to infection, and so skip your aloe. And to irritation so (IMO) skip your EO (do you even know it is truly lavender EO? For sure? and that it's the correct grade/purity?).

You couldn't pay me to put vinegar on it. Acid + base = HEAT! Plus vinegar will sting like ****! I probably posted my vinegar/lye burn story here some time. Neutralizing sounds nice in theory but it can tuen a first degree burn I to a second and do even more damage to a second or third degree burn.

For heat burns the same pretty much applies, except don't apply anything until the burn has totally cooled. Say... 24 hours.

So Sunlight soap is made with lard, cocoa butter, palm kernel oil, glycerine, fragrance, salt, titanium dioxide, and a couple additives to help it lather better. If you search tetrasodium EDTA on Google, you'll find some environmental concerns and possible health issues.

We also need to keep in mind that doctors, whatever kind we go to, are usually trained in one specific discipline of medicine. Conventional doctors believe in Western medicine, holistic doctors will tell you not to use prescriptions. If a doctor was schooled in every form of medicine, he/she would never make it out of college! I have the advantage of having a fairly holistic doctor who will suggest certain herbs instead of the prescriptions that he gets a pharmaceutical kickback from. But nobody knows everything. We tend to take doctors' advice as gospel, often without taking into account that they may only be trained in one form of medicine and/or may be going on opinion.

I've never tried Sunlight soap, but if you find that your soap has the best results for your skin, then use your soap. She probably isn't familiar with the benefits of natural soaps.

I converted my doctor to handmade soaps by giving her some. She now buys from me and recommends me to patients as well as friends.

Our local Dr is an olive grower so is a huge fan of castile soap & even gives it to his patients to use.
There's a true convert if I ever saw one.

American Valkyrie said:
So Sunlight soap is made with lard, cocoa butter, palm kernel oil, glycerine, fragrance, salt, titanium dioxide, and a couple additives to help it lather better.

I think sodium cocoate is from coconut oil, rather than cocoa butter.

I have also started developing dry patches... (I don't think it's from using my own soap.) But I have done the same as Bubbles Galore suggested and I don't wash all over and especially avoid dry spots... and moisturize night and day. This has helped!

Never ever use vinegar on lye burns. It creates an exothermic reaction, which creates more heat. Lots and lots of water instead.

American Valkyrie said:
So Sunlight soap is made with lard, cocoa butter, palm kernel oil, glycerine, fragrance, salt, titanium dioxide, and a couple additives to help it lather better.

Ahh thanks for the interpretation I read nattynoos and had no idea what all those ingredients were :oops:

Sunlight soap was originally made for laundry I think, we used it for delicate handwashing, but its really mild and is often used as soap and shampoo.

hmmmm glycerine soap. Ive only ever made CP soap, I just did a quick google and its just made with a melt and poor base right? looks pretty easy. maybe I'll convert for a while lol Would be nice to try and make some for mum.

I don't take what doctors say as gospel, never have. My dry skin patches are not from my soap as I've had it a few months before using my own. She said that as we age we develop dry areas and to moisturize with sorbalene. I thought Sunlight was only for the laundry, but a friend told me today that there is one for personal use as well.

Ah well, will just have to use my soap for the smelly bits :oops: and I'm not going to give her any of my soap, she charges like a wounded bull. Fancy me paying someone $170 to burn my skin on purpose. :shock:

I think I will convert the GP onto my soap instead.

Relle.

Back