My beer soap experiment

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I did 3 batches of beer soap yesterday. 1st subbed the water with beer and left unscented, next same deal with the beer and scented with 3% lemongrass EO, 3rd subbed water with 1/2 beer and 1/2 almond milk and used 3% Orange Cinnamon FO. All had the same amount and type of oils. All superfatted at 5%. All put in the same box covered with 3 heavy towels overnight. The one with the lemongrass EO zapped me. The other 2 did not. The one with the FO had a heavy ash on the surface. I really don't notice a strong beer scent to the unscented circle. So there it is.

Beer Soap 003.JPG

Beer Soap 001.JPG

I think they look great!

Since you used the same base recipe, maybe the lemongrass one just isn't fully saponified yet? I've read posts from some that said they still had zap after a few days with a particular batch.

Lilahblossom said:
Nice light color on those bars. My beer soap always turns darker.

And I am a bit confused about the color of the beer soap. I understand the almond milk/beer soap being light, but not the other 2 batches. That beer was dark. I guess it wasn't dark enough. And I was sure that this soap was going to gel, but they partial gelled. I don't think I like a nongelled beer soap.

TeriDk said:
What does beer bring to soap?
The sugars in the beer make more bubbles...and some think the amino acids and poly phenols in the hops make it more conditioning for the skin.

2lilboots said:
And I am a bit confused about the color of the beer soap. I understand the almond milk/beer soap being light, but not the other 2 batches. That beer was dark. I guess it wasn't dark enough. And I was sure that this soap was going to gel, but they partial gelled. I don't think I like a nongelled beer soap.

I have a few different types of beer soaps and get different colors with each, even before adding EOs or additives. My honey ale soap is a very light tan, my pumpkin ale soap is a dark gold, my black lager is a dark tan/camel color, my oatmeal stout is light brown, and my vanilla porter is a light tan. I gel all my soaps.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32790&p=290998&hilit=Beer#p290998

I haven't used milk with my beer soaps, so not sure how that would affect it, but if they gelled, I almost think they would turn darker from the sugar in the milk and the beer. I'm surprised yours came out so light even ungelled. They look nice and creamy though. You definitely have a knack for making soap look like something I wanna eat :lol: the last picture reminded me of Divinity that my aunt makes for Christmas :wink:

That is funny A&A's I was thinking that it looks alot like my sister's peanut butter fudge. I wrapped everything up to make it gel, but it wasn't enough. Never thought that the beer soap wouldn't gel, especially the one with the almond milk. My lye/beer solution was only 90 degrees F after I had mixed it up. I had only frozen the beer to slushy stage and added the lye really slow. I didn't put it in an ice bath in the sink either. I think it is because this was only 20 oz batches and the molds were small. And I blame the zapping batch on the EO since I am scared of using them and this was the first time I even tried an EO as compared to all my batches with FO's......LOL!

Thanks A&A. So, do you use cheap beer or a good seasonal microbrew?

I would like to use a local home brewer but right now, I go to the liquor store and browse. Sometimes they will have a few bottles left of a particular microbrew and put them on clearance. I went a few days after Thanksgiving and picked up 12 different brews for about $15. They probably think I'm a cheap non-preferential alcoholic with all the different "clearance" beers I buy. I do love a good clearance sale (but I don't love beer). :lol:

2lilboots, you soap looks lovely! It is surprising to me also that it is so light in color. You just did a great job preventing the sugars from burning.

I was browsing looking for ideas on how to scent my first ever beer soap. This is going to be this afternoon, I am excited! I am using a brown ale, I cooked it to reduce the liquid and get rid of the carbonation and alcohol. I have it in the refrigerator. From your post it sound like I should freeze it. I will go and fill my ice cube tray now.

I love the idea of lemongrass for a scent. Exploring others as well, even considering an EO/FO blend.

The sugars in the beer make more bubbles...and some think the amino acids and poly phenols in the hops make it more conditioning for the skin.

I know there are some who belive that the amino acids are good but I have always thought that any acids (low ph) loose the war with the lye (high ph) when the two are mixed directly together and the finished product being our soap has a ph above netural. Anyone else have thoughts on this??

Bruce

Back