'Must try' techniques?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Reaction score
I'll be off work for all of next week and I'm sure I'll be spending at least some of that time soaping!

I'm planning on trying a pull-through for the first time, and also experimenting with eggs in soap now that the girls are laying again and we're already getting a backlog.

I'd love to hear everyone's ideas for their favourite techniques - the things that really put a spring in their soaping step, I'm willing to try anything, lol!
(Although being based in the West of Ireland I'm somewhat limited in access to supplies, but what I lack in ingredients I make up for in enthusiasm 😆)

Some day I'd love to give HTHP a try. Literally dancing on the volcano! It is about as dangerous as it sounds to provoke what regular CP/CPOP/HP soapers would call a catastrophic failure. Unfortunately, neither I'm exactly low on soap, nor have I many people to help me with using up the yield of such a soap batter party. AFAIK, the HTHP soap volcano technique scales badly down to small batches well below the kilogram range.

Ooh that does sound exciting! I just did a quick search and found a 15 minute castile recipe that adds clove oil to speed up trace even more beyond the high temperature processes 😮

FWIW, I do HTHP — and it is not as scary as it sounds! The volcanoes are not uncontrolled, and are more properly called “expansions.”

Carefully monitoring the temps of your oil and lye solution is the key to avoiding true volcanoes. My only bad experience was when I didn’t follow that direction! Fortunately I was able to stir it down and didn’t lose the entire batch over the side of the pot. But believe me, I have never made that mistake again!

Yes, one can use clove, nutmeg, or other EOs containing eugenol to speed up trace. Tossing a few shreds of finished soap into the batter will accomplish the same; that is my preference since those EOs tend to irritate my skin. Although the few drops used are probably too minimal to cause any problems, I avoid the possibility whenever there is an alternative.

@ResolvableOwl I’ve never tried a small batch; sorry I cannot give any helpful tips there. But with your scientific approach to soaping, I’m sure you would do well with this technique! I also have an excess of soap and make frequent donations to homeless shelters. They are delighted to receive soap, and I am delighted to make more! Win-win:D

I really like the Ione Swirl. It's not that difficult and you get great results.

I also really like the alternating wall pour with mica lines in between. It is super easy but looks fancy. It looks like this: 2 more soaps, alternating wall pours

Did you do the February challenge, circle Taiwan? Really super cool!

And every Christmas, I continue to practice the reverse secret feather technique.

Wow, a whole week to soap! Lucky you!

I also really like the alternating wall pour with mica lines in between. It is super easy but looks fancy. It looks like this: 2 more soaps, alternating wall pours
Those are lovely! I really like that 'deceptively simple' style :D

You make a good point too, I should really go back over the challenge archives and pick out some nice techniques... I had my eye on the rimmed concept a while back.

I've just eaten a tin of Pringles so I can try the pull through, guess I could suffer through some more if I have to! Lol

I haven't tried it yet, but if you are willing to suffer through more Pringles, there is also the lollipop swirl (I Dream in Soap on YouTube has a tutorial). I absolutely LOVE the Taiwan Circling Swirl. I like making things way harder than necessary and as complicated as possible, so I'm watching this thread for more ideas on how to do that. 😁
Some day, I should try the Wood Pour with a batter that is actually suited to it.

I like making things way harder than necessary and as complicated as possible
I knew I was in good company around here! 😆

Edit: I searched the lollipop swirl technique and I don't even know what to say about this amazing eggs and bacon soap...
1615584503325.png

Last edited:
The Circling Taiwan Swirl makes a beautiful soap. If you have a mold with dividers it is much easier but you seem very handy and artistic and I’m sure you could make some yourself! We just had a challenge for it last month (but you probably know that, lol)

Attachments

• EA19CF02-5D70-473B-B8A4-F66981524C01.jpeg
    EA19CF02-5D70-473B-B8A4-F66981524C01.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 27
Layered soaps are a good way to practice using accelerating FOs to your best advantage. Ombre soaps are a good way to practice math. Swirled line pours, including the peacock swirl, make really pretty soaps in a slab mold (or fill the loaf mold half full). There was a challenge for that technique in late summer or fall of 2019, I think. Mini drop swirls are a popular design and are also fun to make.

I haven't tried it yet, but if you are willing to suffer through more Pringles, there is also the lollipop swirl (I Dream in Soap on YouTube has a tutorial). I absolutely LOVE the Taiwan Circling Swirl. I like making things way harder than necessary and as complicated as possible, so I'm watching this thread for more ideas on how to do that. 😁
Some day, I should try the Wood Pour with a batter that is actually suited to it.
@Cheeky Goat you have a YT channel right? If that wood grain video is yours... 😁 😁 😁

The Circling Taiwan Swirl makes a beautiful soap. If you have a mold with dividers it is much easier but you seem very handy and artistic and I’m sure you could make some yourself! We just had a challenge for it last month (but you probably know that, lol)
Are those your soaps? They're aMAzing!

I did have a sort of attempt at it but I didn't have a mould, or dividers, or an appropriate recipe... 🤭

Layered soaps are a good way to practice using accelerating FOs to your best advantage.

Oh, interesting! I do like a spicy fragrance but they all seem to be accelerating... And some elegant layers would be a good project to practice technique with.

This looks like a fun thing to try with a small batch: April SMF Soap Challenge, Hanger Swirl Petra Style

I'd never even heard of gear ties before today, but now I have some coming in the post...

A friend at work also wants me to make a green 'Kryptonite' version of the crystal soap for Paddy's Day, and I'm trying to figure out how to combine the accelerating FO/layers project with something Easter-y 🤔 I was intending to try it with spicy scents, but maybe floral would be the way to go? I've just discovered that a pharmacy near me sells a decent range of EO so that expands my horizons a bit without having to order and hope.

The Petra style hanger swirl makes a really pretty soap. I've had it in the back of my mind to revisit this one - thanks for the reminder.

For layers using accelerating FO in an Easter theme - maybe just colored pastel layers - straight or angled (tilted). Or choose one of the colors and try it as an ombre. I can link some pictures or videos if you need them, but they are pretty easy to find on Instagram or YouTube. If you want to play with soap dough more, little flowers or egg shapes in or on the soap might be nice.

If you want to play with soap dough more, little flowers or egg shapes in or on the soap might be nice.
Great minds, look what I just finished making! I'm still not sure what the soap will be, but these will be on top!
16157558527046167030187825527387.jpg

I've actually just been admiring your entry in SMF January 2017 Challenge Entry Thread- Gradient Layer and trying to figure out how on earth you got the lines so straight, so if you have any tips you could share I'd love to hear them. My best guess right now is to separate out and colour the oils in advance, then just add the appropriate amount of lye as I need each layer, so that there's time to set up in between. Could also be my first foray into master batching.
Am I remotely close? 🤭

I love your butterflies and thank you for the nice comment. I was able to find my notes, although I'm not a very good note taker and was even worse back then. I've done layers both ways - using a slow moving recipe and a slightly accelerating FO mixed just before pouring and making mini batches.

I am reasonably sure that I made mini batches in this case - mixed my lye solution, and melted and mixed the oils but didn't combine them. I would have figured out the total weight of each, divided by the number of layers and mixed each layer after the previous one was poured. Also stirring in the FO just before pouring. Although I did note using 8th & Ocean from Nurture Soap and I haven't used it in a looong time. I have seen plenty of people that report no acceleration and I truly can't remember. I would think I'd have chosen an FO that does slightly accelerate though.

You might have to rewarm your oils after a couple of layers have been poured. I place a cover (wood or cardboard) over my mold between layers. I think I got lucky with the straight layers - mine are often kind of slanty, even though I try to get everything level before I start pouring. My batter is very fluid when pouring the new layer.

It might help to watch your first layer to see how long it takes to set up enough to support the next layer. Then you will know if you need to wait before starting to mix the next layer or if you can just wipe out your container and stick blender and start mixing again right away. Pour over the back of a spatula to help avoid breaking through the previous layer.

That's about all I can think of :) Good luck!

I was able to find my notes...
Oh thank you so much for digging your notes out!

What you say makes total sense, this plan is rapidly moving up my to-soap list! I'm lucky enough that I found a set of very tall and thin lye-safe jugs that can immerse my stick blender with a small amount of batter, so I'll probably use those in order to avoid having to clean up halfway through :)

I'll need to figure out which of the scents I can get will accelerate now. I'm not massively a floral person so most of them I've never bought. (Apart from lavender, of which I have tons, but that's always behaved well)

Oh thank you so much for digging your notes out!

What you say makes total sense, this plan is rapidly moving up my to-soap list! I'm lucky enough that I found a set of very tall and thin lye-safe jugs that can immerse my stick blender with a small amount of batter, so I'll probably use those in order to avoid having to clean up halfway through :)

I'll need to figure out which of the scents I can get will accelerate now. I'm not massively a floral person so most of them I've never bought. (Apart from lavender, of which I have tons, but that's always behaved well)
You don't need to have an accelerating FO. It just helps the batter set faster. You wouldn't want one that moves super fast either. Rain or ocean FOs can also move things along if you have one of those. Otherwise, just time how long it takes your layer to set up - it shouldn't be too long as the layers will likely be pretty thin. If you happen to have any clove EO, I have used A COUPLE OF DROPS of that stirred into the batter to help as well.

Latest posts

Back