MP Base Ingredients

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsPine09

Reaction score
As far as bases go, are there any ingredients that I should definitely stay away from? I know the craft store bases aren't good, I just wasn't sure if there are any online suppliers that sell bases similar to the ones found in craft stores. Or if there are any bases that are either drying or don't produce enough lather.

I've looked up a bunch of different non-SFIC bases and have found the following ingredients to be very common: Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Stearic Acid, Lauric Acid, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, DMDM Hydantoin, Sodium Laurate, Triethanolamine, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sorbitol, Germall Plus, titanium dioxide, helianthus annus, elaeis guineensis, cocoa nucifera, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Goats Milk Powder, Goats Milk, Water/Purified Water, Sodium Stearate, Coconut Oil, sodium myristate, sodium cocoate.

Are any of these ingredients just down right nasty and should be avoided? I'm not looking for the au natural ingredient list that SFIC offers, I just want a quality soap base that won't leave my skin feeling gross or dry. I've tried looking up some of these ingredients, but all I end up finding is that a certain ingredient is used to produce bubbles/lather, but it doesn't say if its bad or not. I know the names sound scary/intimidating because its their scientific name, so maybe in reality these ingredients aren't as bad as they sound?

The best way to find out more about each ingredient is to Google it. For example, titanium dioxide is a mineral and it whitens clear M&P bases. Cocoa nucifera is coconut oil and it's found in most bases.
Also, pay attention to the order of the ingredients. You'll want to see glycerin located very close to the beginning!
I've used both SFIC and Stephenson and like them equally. Note that there are many varieties of them. If concerned about ingredients, the Stephenson makes a natural SLS-free type of base.

hi there,

I believe that Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is one to be avoided and I make sure it's not in the soap base I use, but a lot of the information is debatable and you'll find many opinions on the subjects but there are lots of products that promote themselves on being SLS free. What lisamaglia said is good advise, put the name of the ingredient in Google and maybe follow the word by 'side effects' and that will bring up loads of other info on the ingredient. For example I just found this about Titanium Dioxide http://innerearthsoaps.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... -safe.html and here is some info on Sodium Lauryl Sulfate http://www.truthinaging.com/ingredient- ... be-avoided
Hope this is of some help to you.

I recommend not only googling the ingredients, but searching for those ingredients on this site http://personalcaretruth.com as well.
Personal Care Truth is a wonderful site that helps debunk a lot of the myths that are out there.

Latest posts

Back