Most and Least Favorite Ingredient /Oil/Butter/Additive ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  • lard, almond oil - because I get that wonderful feeling of soap
  • kaolin clay - for "kaolin creme"
  • silk - I really can tell the difference and like that luxurious feel
  • brambleberry Black Tea FO - I just like it in each and every blend
  • sugar, beer - for the bubbles in soap. In life I prefer sugar to beer hehe.

I also admit that I LOVE to watch the trace happening - do you have it too? :)

Dislikes:
  • avocado oil - I don't see any difference, I dislike it lowering down conditioning value on soapcalc when I sub olive oil with it partially (which probably does not mean anything, but I get irritated ;)) and it went rancid in the bottle twice. uch.
  • eggs - I tried it once and the results were terrible - I couldn't whisk it anyhow, it left speckles and the stink after some time... Well, I am not sure using egg whites and yolks together is a good idea - is it?

My favourite additives so far have been coconut milk, honey and herbal teas.

I've used aloe vera juice and ocean water which are currently untested. Due to the hype, I really want to use silk and clays.

My personal least favourite have been almond milk and activated charcoal both I found drying. I think AC has its uses (acne/oiliness) but even for just colouring the soap I find it too drying.

I also love avocado oil, there is something special about avocado oil <3

CO, PKO flakes, Lard, Pecan oil, (I'm in TX, to which Pecans are native, so it has lots of label appeal), sunflower, sometimes lanolin, beeswax, honey. Sometimes powdered goats' milk powdered coconut milk, or powdered buttermilk in different recipes. Oatmeal for oatmeal & honey bars. The wax and honey are my "niche" since I am a beekeeper by trade.

In my experience, the fancier oils are much better left to balms, salves, and lotions. Although I do make a lard and grapeseed oil acne bar for my daughters. I have not tried silk yet, although I want to, as well as a salt bar.

I *do* make a seasonal bar in autumn with a bit of pumpkin oil and puree that seems especially rich, but I am in agreement that fruits/vegetables are more for label appeal. IMHO, if you want to use fruit, or yogurt, or even honey, make a MASK of them while they are fresh, then rinse off after 20 minutes.

A lot of people -- me included -- really want fancy soap to do fancy things. But at the end of the day, it's just soap. It cleans. :mrgreen:

~HL~

Ooh...ever make a "honey butter pecan soap"? Sounds delicious!

But seriously - other than using a Texas product - what do you like about pecan oil in soap? Curious and wondering if I should try it.

I can't be without:
- almond oil, avocado oil, shea butter.
- kaolin clay, TD, rainbow of micas in my soap colouring stash :)
- certain FOs such as NG aussie bamboo grass, J&J bedtime type FO, BB Kumquat
- bergamot EO (I discovered it works really nicely in GLS)
- tallow and lard (when I make it work and when it doesn't give me DOS)

Used to like but no so much now:
- coconut milk

Disliked and wouldn't try again:
- silk - made my soaps slimy
- GM - soap smelled like cheese, gelled, non gelled, it was the same, can't do it
- salt bars - can't see the hype, and with all the CO in them, they left my skin really dry

I love to use:

Avocado oil, any butter, and most importantly SL. The only thing I don't add SL to are salt bars since they're bubbly and hard enough on their own. I also like using beer, wine and aloe juice. I add honey or sugar when I think about it but not when I want a very white batter. I use coconut milk in a few of my recipes and I like the creamy lather (plus no baby vomit smell, yay!)

I don't love to use:

SF over 3% (except in salt bars) and castor oil (too sticky feeling for me). I'm also not crazy about trying mammal milk of any kind. I'm probably the HUGE oddball out but I also don't use lard or tallow. I have way too many vegetarians and non-pork eaters (due to religious beliefs) in my life.

Things I'd like to try:

Silk sounds very interesting and for some weird reason I've never used beeswax. I have about 5 lbs on hand that I use for lotion bars so should give it a go but it's such a pain to clean up! I've also never used PKO or babassu so I think those should go on my list to try.

I don't use fancy ingredients except my love of silk. My favorite bar though is a salt bar. I use beer and GM sometimes in particular recipes. I prefer simple. Even for family.

Thanks for this. I always struggle with recommendations for luxury ingredients. I don't sell and typically make tiny batches to allow me as much experimentation as possible. As such, cost is not a major consideration. That being said, I still question the legitimacy of using luxury oils in soap. I have always chosen to skimp on a cleanser in brand name skin care routines under the assumption that a wash off product simply cannot offer much benefit. That's what masks, lotions, and serums are for! My perspective is in formulating a recipe is a little different than most. I don't necessarily focus on what I want the soap to accomplish, so much as what I do not want: too exfoliating, too drying, too waxy, too tacky, etc (or want in it). Likewise, my DIYing is as more about omitting ingredients that I wish to avoid and controlling the process.

The extras I have to purchase from overseas:

Cocoa butter, Sheabutter, Apricot, Avocado (use it in my lipbalms all the time, but now I am trying it in my soaps too!), Castor, fragrance/essential oils, and some colored soapstable mica`s (nurture soap)

Last thing I wanted to test is the Tetrasodium EDTA. Last month I ordered that, along with Sodium Lactate.
Looking forward to trying these in soap!

I like your perspective and appreciate knowing what items are precious enough to pay overseas shipping for.

Pecan oil, (I'm in TX, to which Pecans are native, so it has lots of label appeal)

I do not sell, so label appeal is not a consideration. That being said, I drive by Berdoll's every now and again. It would be easy to grab some fresh, local, pecan oil if you feel that it adds something special to your soap. For those of you unfamiliar with the place, Berdoll's is a gift shop for a local pecan farm. They have four different types of pecans that you can sample and sell a variety of pecan-centric butters, candies, oils, and condiments as well. Their most entertaining features are the bathroom plastered with everyone's pet squirrel photos (including mine:mrgreen:) and the vending machine outside that dispenses full-sized pecan pies 24-7 (in case you simply cannot shake a 3:00am craving).

Must Haves:
...Castor. The Tammy Wynette of oils. Stands by her man and makes everything better/bubblier (I'm choosing to ignore the domestic abuse in my metaphor)...

Heck NO
Hemp. Too expensive, too short of shelf life. Leaves a hempy smell. No thanks.
...Cow's Milk in any form. Smells like baby vomit. To me. Other people cannot smell it, but I shouldn't feel queasy after making anything.

While my soap doesn't always behave, I hope that I can trust it not to leave any permanent damage (although the lye burn post is a bit terrifying). I am a little disappointed about the hemp oil as I just received some in a shipment and stashed it in the fridge. Maybe I'll pair it with a full 1oz ppo hippie-ish FO...or just cook with it. Interestingly enough, you are not the only one to comment on the smell of cow's milk/cream. I do not have a sensitive nose myself, but have a few people on my Christmas wish list who do and will avoid it just in case.

I'm a huge fan of salt bars, they are what I reach for in the shower 90% of the time.
...I need to get some EDTA, I would use it in every batch.

Salt bars are next on my list. I am up to three recipes to try: IrishLass', shunt2011's, and SoapMaker Man's. I am hoping to hone my preferences based on those test batches.

My least favourite ingredient: palm oil. I can't seem to find the refined, sustainable palm oil in a reliable way where I am, only the unrefined or unsustainable. I don't like the feel of it anyway. I also don't like overly fake FOs, I prefer nature similar ones or blends that could be made from plants.

I actually choose to avoid palm oil because I fear that "sustainably-sourced" options are just green-washed ones. I found this article to be thought provoking: http://www.ran.org/_rspo_can_t_be_t...ternational_coalition_of_civil_society_groups. It's nice to know that I may not be missing out on much. As for FOs, I do not appreciate synthetic or artificial notes, but often opt for the things that I could not possibly replicate with an EO...like champagne.

It was fun to go back and read that link, makemineirish! I saw my old post on page 3, and I gotta say- my list has grown a little since then, lol. A few of the following are not just for soap, but also for some of the B&B stuff I make:
...The #1 FO I would hate to ever be without is Daystar's 'Salty Sailor' (Daystar's 'Paradise' follows as a close second). My family would come at me with torches and pitchforks, I think. lol
IrishLass :smile:

Thanks for chiming in. I have appreciated many of your previous posts and expected this topic to be something that was brought up ad nauseum. I was incredibly surprised to find otherwise. Do you use the meadowseed foam oil and kokum butter in your soap or reserve those for body butters/lotions? I have both, but was not necessarily planning to offer them as a sacrifice to the lye monster.

I am always game for FO suggestions and search the fragrance forum for any reviews of potential purchases (as well as the Fragrance Review Chart and Soap Scent Review Board)!

I forgot to add my least favorites of the things I have used that I never want to use again:
-Cow milk or cream. My nose is always able to pick up on the butyric acid from them. All the soaps I've ever made with either of them turned out smelling like spoiled/sour milk to me. Oddly enough, though, the soaps I've made with bovine buttermilk powder did not do that to me.

-Kiwi seeds. I used them in a batch once, and once was enough...or rather, once was way too much! In a word, "Mommy!"

-Calendula petals- they sure made my soap look pretty, but I sure didn't appreciate the flotsam and jetsam running down my drain. lol

-Unrefined shea- can't stand the smell.

There might be more, but those are the 3 that stand out like sore thumbs to me right now.

Here are some things that I've tried a time or 2 that were okay, but really aren't all that worth it to me to want to try again:

-Egg yolks- the soap came out well enough (at least nothing adverse to report), but nothing extraordinary to write home about.
-Coffee as liquid- not horrible, but just too 'meh' for me.

Here are the things I have no desire to try:

-Hemp oil- I got an unscented hemp soap in a swap once and my nose just couldn't stand the smell of it.
-Soy oil- GMO Doss monster.

IrishLass :smile:

I appreciate the workaround offered for cow milk as a buttermilk soap was on my list until I read several posters' aversions to the smell. Using powdered is an easy fix.

My opinion of calendula petals (and most botanicals) is similar. Besides, I do not want to have to clean anything, including the tub, AFTER my bath. My bath time is sacred and an indulgent reward for my gritty day...not a precursor to more drudgery.

I ordered some unrefined, yellow shea and have been trying to ascertain whether or not I inadvertently acquired the kpangnan butter that I ended up looking for this week. I think that I am going to be forced to order the "real" stuff for comparison to figure it out.

Egg yolks were on my list to try, but it does not seem like anyone here has found the effort worthwhile.

Yours is the second vote against the hemp oil that I just put in my fridge last week. I am now debating as to whether I want to try it in smaller amounts with a complimentary FO or utilize it otherwise (frantically scribbling notes). I admit that I have not even opened the bottle to smell it yet and appreciate being forewarned.:think:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/http://www.soapmakingforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

"Yours is the second vote against the hemp oil that I just put in my fridge last week. I am now debating as to whether I want to try it in smaller amounts with a complimentary FO or utilize it otherwise (frantically scribbling notes). I admit that I have not even opened the bottle to smell it yet and appreciate being forewarned."

Here's another hemp oil vote: I actually like it! I don't use it often due to cost but I have a "hippie line" I use it in and I think it enhances the scents I use. The people I make those scents for are true Woodstock throwbacks that make routine trips to Colorado for special purchases.... JK, I think.... I'm not really sure about it though.... Anyway, certain people love it and I really like the feel of it in soap. So here's a vote on the "I like it" side!

Currently using: Olive oil, Rice Bran Oil, Coconut oil, Lard, Palm Oil, Mango Butter, Castor oil. Sometimes use Avocado oil, apricot kernel oil, or sweet almond.

I have other oils and butters on hand, but the ones listed above are that I'm currently working with. Next soap I'm thinking of trying some aloe juice since I have some of hand.

Additives: Kaolin, colloidal oats, cream, sodium lactate, tussash silk.

and the vending machine outside that dispenses full-sized pecan pies 24-7 (in case you simply cannot shake a 3:00am craving).

Wow! Really? How cool is that!? I wish there was a chocolate cream pie vending machine nearby me right now. :p

Do you use the meadowseed foam oil and kokum butter in your soap or reserve those for body butters/lotions? I have both, but was not necessarily planning to offer them as a sacrifice to the lye monster.

I've never soaped with the meadowfoam (and wouldn't ever dream of doing so- it's too precious to me), but I do soap the kokum in one of my soap formulas (just my hubby's shave soap/croap). Mostly, though, I use them for B&B, such as my lip balms, lotions and my body butter. When my mom was still alive, my body butter made with 70% kokum and 30% meadowfoam seed oil was the only thing that was able to heal up the diabetic skin ulcers on her legs.

IrishLass :)

I'm sure I've missed a couple of others and silk does sound interesting. Especially watching it get eaten by the lye ( I know I'm sick and it's okay).

It's so much fun. And I really shouldn't say this, but there is almost a basmati rice smell that comes off it when it dissolves. Now, I'm not leaning my head over trying to breath lye fumes, but I can get a waft of it even with my oven fan on and standing well back. It makes me hungry.

How weird is that?

Likes, For Soap, Olive Oil, Lard, Coconut Oil, Castor & Shea. SL, Sugar, TD,White Kaolin Clay, Tussah Silk. For scrubs Fractionated Coconut Oil, love it.

Dislikes: Milk, I don't like the smell, Kelp, it may be good for your skin, but it stinks. botanicals, just don't like them all over the shower

For Fragrances I guess if there was one that I wouldn't want to give up, it would be Oatmeal Milk and Honey from The Soapdish
Close second would be WSP's Sun & Sand

I think I am going to have to try EDTA (hopefully I spelled that right) as I have a dug well

Hmmm, the top of my list for can't live without is cocoa butter. I add it as a superfat after hot process cook and it has been the one to stand out the most for me. I like my shea butter soaps, but if I couldn't find shea I wouldn't be heartbroken. As for additives, honey. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I love my honey added soaps, and I love corn meal or fine ground oats for exfoliation.

Coconut milk is a favorite of my daughters. She also likes my "little bit of salt" soaps that I add some salt, but no where as much as a full on salt soap. I think everyone should try a salt soap, they are truly unique and make up your mind for yourself.

I would say my least favorite is clay. I read over and over to use it to anchor scents and I'm just not seeing a difference in my soaps, but my tried and true recipes are very different with clay, and except for French green and Rose Kaolin my skin does NOT like clay. I like a small amount of goat milk, but the whole goat milk soaps are not my favorite.

All the butters, HO Sunflower and Safflower, apricot kernel, sweet almond, olive, Pumpkin seed
Lard, Palm kernel flakes, coconut, love all the milks, simple syrup on and on
I don't like using activated charcoal, I get it everywhere.
Honorable mention... Anything Stainless Steel or Tupperware, but it has to be secondhand. I love the thrift stores for soaping finds.

I'm loving this thread and now I really want to move to a place that has a pecan pie vending machine.. But to the topic at hand:

For my soaps: Lard. I love lard. I like olive oil at about 20 - 30% only, avocado, almond, and sunflower in 10-15%. I like cocoa butter and shea butter in small percentages (under 15% of any butters per batch). I do like rice bran in a pinch and unless it's a salt bar or superfatted coconut bar I keep my coconut to no more than 10-15%. I have good luck with palm for my veggie friends if I keep it at 30% or less.

I have yet to find an oil/butter I don't like in the right percentage.

Edit to add - I really like oat milk and coconut milk too.

Coconut and olive are my main gals. Some sunflower, castor, and avocado float around. I'm liking shea butter so far. Recently obsessed with milk, and plan on my next salt bar having coconut milk. LOVE salt bars. Love love love.

I recently asked a butcher for some bovine suet (cow kidney fat) to render tallow for a tallow bar. I figured I'd try it, and eventually I'll try lard, but the idea skeeves me out. We'll find out if I love them or hate them later.

I won't use palm, combination environmental wariness, and it's not consistently available where I shop, so I don't bother.

I'm new to soaping so there is so much I haven't tried yet, and as this is just a hobby and I have to watch my output too, it's very pick and choosey as to what comes next. I have 3 or 4 batches to make next so I'm about to roll out several pounds of soap to be given away...

Last edited:
For me, it's lard. Lard is king. Every initial batch I made, even if it came out less than perfect elicited positive reviews from my testers. And I love it.
I just started making tallow soap from some farm raised deer. I won't know how well it soaps for 2 months yet BUT....the feel of the soap right now is incredible,very silky. I did add some silk to the batch but I do that with most batches, I can't believe that is the reason for this incredible texture.
I feel strongly about animal fats along the lines of the native Americans; it only does the animal justice by using as much of the animal as possible. Wish I could find the words that would fit on a label to convey that message.
Can't say I'm a fan of palm oil, not because of the habitat destruction, I equate it almost like a cheap filler like soybean oil. I've always been curious how many oil palms it takes to produce a bucket of palm oil. I sense its a drop in the bucket when compared to it's usage in so many products throughout the world. So many commercially produced soaps use palm products, whether the fruit or the kernel as primary ingredients in their soaps. An unusual percentage of the soaps I've checked out at discount shops like Marshall's etc. are all the same formula; the first 2 ingredients are palm products, in spite of some over the top packaging , scents, etc. I simply view them as inexpensively produced soap, all driven by profit margin.

For Soap my favorites and cannot run out of are Avocado, Tallow, Palm oil, Lard, PKO, Coconut oil, Sunflower (mid or high Oleic), Castor, Stearic Acid, Hemp and Neem oils. I actually have more dos problems with lard than hemp. My very least favorite is Olive Oil, it always feels sticky in soap to me, although I do use it in small percentages.

For additives I like Whole Egg powder, gives the same feel as silk in my opinion. Activated Charcoal is my standby for coloring black and de-tox soaps. You can make non-drying charcoal soaps, even without high superfat. As for milks, powders are what I prefer, but Camel milk is just luscious. It is actually the only milk I really feel makes a difference. Goat's milk I use because customers want it, I do use the powder. Kelp powder for certain soaps. Avocado puree is a must, that I keep frozen in the freezer, Citric Acid, Pumpkin Puree, fresh or canned, papaya puree, Baby Carrots, Baby Cereal and BHT for adding into soaps containing lard.

For Lotions and Balms: Avocado Butter, Tucuma Butter, Coco Butter, Local Beeswax, and Raw Shea, although I cannot use lotions with Shea due to allergies, Meadowfoam Seed Oil, and Watermelon Seed oil is fast becoming a favorite. Evening Primrose and Camellia and Black Currant oils are my other favorites.

Dragon's Blood, Plumeria, Hardwood Musk, Werewolf, Salty Air, Orange Creamsicle, Pink Sugar, BRV are must have on the shelf FO's. Cedarwood, Rosemary, Litsea, Lemongrass, Patchouli, Black Pepper, Gingergrass, Wintergreen and Peppermint EO's are must haves on the shelf. Of course Lavender EO, although not my favorite, is also a must.

I love using the "basic" 4 oils
*Olive oil
*Coconut oil
*Palm
*Castor
I include 5% castor in almost all of my recipes. I have been reading Kevin Dunn's book, Scientific Soapmaking, and really like the recipe he calls "Delight" and he considers it a really nice balanced soap=
39%OO, 28%CO, 28%Palm, 5%Castor.

My favorite additives that I would not want to be without:
Oatmeal, pink Kaolin clay, french green clay, gray and white Kaolin clay, finely ground chamomile petals.

I don't use FO'S. ... and my staple EO'S are:
Lavender, lemongrass, pink grapefruit, orange 15x, peppermint, & Spearmint

I like to use poppy seeds and coffee for exfoliating.

This is a great thread. Lots of good suggestions and feedback!

I feel strongly about animal fats along the lines of the native Americans; it only does the animal justice by using as much of the animal as possible.

I am Cajun. We use everything but the squeal. But then, we inter-married with the native Americans and learned much from them.

I think folks need to understand that no pigs are raised to make lard. Lard is a by-product of the pork (meat) industry, and would be dumped in landfills if not used otherwise.

Latest posts

Back