Most and Least Favorite Ingredient /Oil/Butter/Additive ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  • lard, almond oil - because I get that wonderful feeling of soap
  • kaolin clay - for "kaolin creme"
  • silk - I really can tell the difference and like that luxurious feel
  • brambleberry Black Tea FO - I just like it in each and every blend
  • sugar, beer - for the bubbles in soap. In life I prefer sugar to beer hehe.

I also admit that I LOVE to watch the trace happening - do you have it too? :)

Dislikes:
  • avocado oil - I don't see any difference, I dislike it lowering down conditioning value on soapcalc when I sub olive oil with it partially (which probably does not mean anything, but I get irritated) and it went rancid in the bottle twice. uch.
  • eggs - I tried it once and the results were terrible - I couldn't whisk it anyhow, it left speckles and the stink after some time... Well, I am not sure using egg whites and yolks together is a good idea - is it?

Thank you so much for this. I went back and found your original post on "kaolin creme". It is exceedingly helpful, interesting, and makes the cut to try out. I like the idea of reducing TD in my recipes as I have a relative who is sensitive to it. While it should not be a concern in a wash-off application, I like to err on the side of caution and understand that some use kaolin to assist in the longevity of their fragrance. I'm in!

Here's another hemp oil vote: I actually like it! I don't use it often due to cost but I have a "hippie line" I use it in and I think it enhances the scents I use. The people I make those scents for are true Woodstock throwbacks that make routine trips to Colorado for special purchases.... JK, I think.... I'm not really sure about it though.... Anyway, certain people love it and I really like the feel of it in soap. So here's a vote on the "I like it" side!

Thanks for presenting an alternate viewpoint. I live in Austin and have some genuine beatniks on my Christmas list as well as one...herb aficionado (my attempt at a non-judgemental designation). While I do not care for "hippie" fragrances myself, I certainly know people who do.

I'm loving this thread and now I really want to move to a place that has a pecan pie vending machine.. But to the topic at hand:
...I have yet to find an oil/butter I don't like in the right percentage.
Edit to add - I really like oat milk and coconut milk too.

Thanks for the thread props! The vending machine is an interesting novelty, but not really exciting to me as pecan pie is pretty low on my dessert hierarchy. I did feel like an idiot to realize that there are various kinds of pecans and that they taste discernibly different.

I think that your qualifier, "the right percentage", is key. I often comment that there are few foods that I genuinely dislike. An initial aversion usually just means that some experimentation is in my future. Cruciferous vegetables are repugnant to me if you boil them, as my mother did when I was growing up. I thought that I simply did not eat "green". On the contrary, I adore all of them roasted. Likewise, fragrances or wine live and die on the proportions. I am one of the few that was disappointed Jo Malone's Lime Mandarin and Basil was not mandarin-centric.

Coconut milk was already a favorite, but oatmeal is being added to the list of "new things to try" immediately. Thanks!

Camel milk is just luscious. It is actually the only milk I really feel makes a difference.

I am now intrigued by camel milk, but am uncertain of my capability in acquiring it. If I manage to to bribe a hobby farm into letting me try, I will need photographic proof of my death-defiance as I...
shimmy in an attempt to avoid being drop-kicked...
while perched precariously on a ladder...
molesting an unsuspecting camel...
as her not-so-small calf takes umbrage...
forcing me to crab-walk and dodge butyric acid scented grass loogies...
in retaliation of my Bogarting his food supply.

Maybe the resulting viral video will pay for my medical and/or therapy bills:think: Nevertheless, I'm game and googling local hobby farms now:lol:

I am Cajun. We use everything but the squeal. But then, we inter-married with the native Americans and learned much from them.

I think folks need to understand that no pigs are raised to make lard. Lard is a by-product of the pork (meat) industry, and would be dumped in landfills if not used otherwise.

"Everything but the squeal"...I LOVE the verbiage and approve of the sentiment. I limit meat in my diet and avoid pork (as yummy as it is) largely because I disagree with the manner in which it is farmed. I did avoid animal fats when I first dipped a toe into soaping. However, my aversion had to do with comedogenic concerns that have since been largely allayed.

I appreciate all of you for taking the time to be so generous with your information. I am always excited by the prospect of something novel, but worry that I am too easily distracted by "shiny trinkets". I hate wasted effort (wasted anything really) and would rather not include superfluous or impotent ingredients...my ridiculous expenditures on fragrance and colorants to the contrary
icon_rolleyes.gif

http://www.soapmakingforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

I use Metiista Aloe Vera powder when I make my soap instead of aloe juice. I switched a month ago and, it has made a noticable difference. My soap last longer and it is way more effective.

omg dixie you're too funny ((funky old milk smell))

I'm a newbie, but I really like oatmeal in my soaps, and faintly scented. OUCH jojoba IS way too pricey. I found evoo for $1.99 mL .8%acidity - cha ching really nice stuff (at an independant dollar store) 8 bottles works out to be about a gallon for $16 dollars. Can't walk away from that. I get rice bran oil from the local feed & tack - haaay (pun) they have 99% alcohol at a reasonable price - you know if you're ok with a gallon of the stuff.

I have goat milk cubes in the freezer for tomorrow's adventures in soaping. probably with a good amount of castor oil. I just picked up a bottle of grape seed oil and want to experiment with that sometime this weekend also. mmuuwwahhhahahahaaa

Suz

Last edited:
Back