Molds found on amazon -any good?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kniquy

Reaction score
I am just beginning to gather equipment to start soaping. When looking for molds I have seen some on Amazon - one in a wooden box with a silicone insert/mold. They also include cutters (not sure how good a quality they are). Any thoughts? For $15.99 it seems like a good deal, but is it really? Are there any particular features I should consider with the mold? I did see another one which has a cover on it. I'm thinking a cover might be a nice feature, but not sure how necessary it is. I think from the many videos i have watched when you fill the mold there might not be much if any space on top for a cover to fit.
81dospgHJtL._SX425_.jpg

They worked well for me and I still occasionally use them for small batches. For me, the downside is the shape. They make a large(ish) square bar or a small rectangle bar - depending on how far you fill them.

Iv got 3 of these molds and never had a ptoblem with them hendejm has a point but for beginning they are great and iv found its easier to save a batch with naughty fo with this kinda mold rather than small individual molds with more details. iv not got any lids with mine but i am when i have time going to make myself some. At the moment i wrap the mold in bubble wrap then use about 3-4 towels to promote gelling. also iv got the same kind of straight cutter as shown there and only thing i would say is clean it after each cut.

If your just starting off have a look at soap queen tons of great starter info and videos

Last edited by a moderator:
If your just starting off have a look at soap queen tons of great starter info and videos
My daughter and I have spent hours watching her! We love her and she makes it look easy, but i know there is so much to learn and experiment with soaping. We even watched some body scrub and lip balm. Endless possibilities!

Iv printed off a bunch of the pages from the soap queen site and when i get an hour will be looking through it and highlighting the most important stuff. Iv watched a few of the soaping 101 but also youtube just in general think ill watch more soaping 101 videos with penelope above having recommended it. I spent about 3-4 hours watching youtube to get new ideas for doing swirls and patterns but also got some of the best advice via this forum and one my best soaps was done using a method a member here suggested i tried i thought she knows better than me so ill give it a shot.

Iv made some lip balms have a look at wellnessmama for a good lip balm recipe she has tons of great advice and recipes. Not had many negative feedback about the lip balms i made using her recipe and only negat8ve feedback was that they were a bit hard but the recipe i used was intended for tubes not the little tins ect

Best advice i can give is watch videos search search and search some more and try stay simple and dont do big batches until your happy with the recipes im still researching 4-5 months after starting making lye based soap.

I love mine. As for the size, as others have said, it's a great size for beginners.
For me, I have a "little hands" line that I make kids soaps for and these are the perfect size for those. I will also sometimes make super fancy soaps in this mold that I know people are only going to use as displays and they sell very well in either application.

I have 3 of these molds and love them. Make sure and put some talc powder inside the wood mold for easy release. Makes 10 1" bars. The crinkle cut looks the best.

They worked well for me and I still occasionally use them for small batches. For me, the downside is the shape. They make a large(ish) square bar or a small rectangle bar - depending on how far you fill them.

Ditto. I prefer the wider bar formed with my homemade, pine 1x4 molds. There is nothing wrong with the molds from Amazon - I have two and will still use them from time to time. It's just a personal preference as far as shape goes.

I have 3 of these molds and love them. Make sure and put some talc powder inside the wood mold for easy release. Makes 10 1" bars. The crinkle cut looks the best.

Iv never used talc with mine and only once had an issue trying to get them out and that was the mold out the box not soap out the silicone mold think that was more my fault too. Never seen it be suggested to use talc either :) i have been known to be wrong though.

@Dennis any chance you could send me a photo of your homemade wooden mold please iv been looking into making my own but what you said has just confused me what is a 1x4 mold? 1inch by 4inch? So are they individual molds?

@Dennis any chance you could send me a photo of your homemade wooden mold please iv been looking into making my own but what you said has just confused me what is a 1x4 mold? 1inch by 4inch? So are they individual molds?

Not Dennis but...
Here is the link to the post about making my timber molds for nurture silicone liners. Soap bar size is a personal preference thing. Nurture has many different widths and heights. There are lots of molds out there. Cut up a few bars of soap until you get the perfect size for you then find one that suits you and your family.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/making-timber-molds.64078/

Iv never used talc with mine and only once had an issue trying to get them out and that was the mold out the box not soap out the silicone mold think that was more my fault too. Never seen it be suggested to use talc either :) i have been known to be wrong though.

1 inch x 4 inch pine board, nominal size. Actual size is 3/4 inch x 3 1/2 inches. I'll post a pic.

Last edited:
Iv watched a few of the soaping 101 but also youtube just in general think ill watch more soaping 101 videos with penelope above having recommended it. I spent about 3-4 hours watching youtube to get new ideas for doing swirls and patterns but also got some of the best advice via this forum and one my best soaps was done using a method a member here suggested i tried i thought she knows better than me so ill give it a shot.

Iv made some lip balms have a look at wellnessmama for a good lip balm recipe she has tons of great advice and recipes. Not had many negative feedback about the lip balms i made using her recipe and only negat8ve feedback was that they were a bit hard but the recipe i used was intended for tubes not the little tins ect

I would agree with the Soaping101 recommendation but with one exception... don't attempt her glycerine liquid soap until you really know what you are doing. No where in our research did my Mother and I come across anyone saying liquid soap was more difficult than bar soap and that the glycerine method liquid soap in particular should only be undertaken by those with soap making experience. Soaping101 made it all look so easy and Mum and I were not aware of the potential dangers so guess what .... we made that soap as our first foray into soap making. How we did not burn the house down is beyond understanding. Needless to say, I still make liquid soap but I use a different method now.

For an absolutely brilliant lipbalm recipe try the vanilla spice vegan lip balm from Humblebee and Me. It is hands down the absolute best lipbalm recipe I have come across.

For entertainment and inspiration try the Royalty Soaps channel https://www.youtube.com/user/RoyaltySoaps and Pink Dahlia https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5ayJ3Wj8ocOjUNYj9Z1R3w on YouTube

Latest posts

Back