Mold Size??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IpourYouDrink

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I am about to embark on making my first batch, and I was wondering if there is a quick formula to determine what size mold I need for a given batch size?

I decided to keep it simple for my first time, so I am going with a 48oz beer soap recipe, and I havent been able to determine what size mold I need.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

there is a formula in the stickys that helps to figure out how much oil a mold would hold, so I would assume you could reverse it to find what you are looking for....also, my suggesstion would be to make a smaller batch than 48 oz for your first time...In the beginning I did 1 lb batches, so if I messed it up I wouldnt waste oils, and a 1 lb batch is good to experiment with!

This is the formula people use to figure out how much a mold will hold:

Length x width x height x .55 = approximate soap in ounces

If you want to figure out approximately how much oils your mold will hold, you'd substitute the .55 for .38

The size of a log (loaf) mold that would hold 48 oz:
10in Long x 3.5in Wide x 2.75in High (This is the inside of the mold)

For a slab mold that would hold 48 oz:
10.5 inches long x 7.75 inches wide x 1.25 inches deep. (This is the inside of the mold)

What I did was first make my recipe based on percentages. The using the lye calculator at Summer Bee Meadow, I resized the batch to fit the mold of my choice. Simple.

dirrdee said:
.also, my suggesstion would be to make a smaller batch than 48 oz for your first time...In the beginning I did 1 lb batches, so if I messed it up I wouldnt waste oils, and a 1 lb batch is good to experiment with!

Me too! A quart size milk container makes a great 1lb size mold!

dirrdee said:
.also, my suggesstion would be to make a smaller batch than 48 oz for your first time...In the beginning I did 1 lb batches, so if I messed it up I wouldnt waste oils, and a 1 lb batch is good to experiment with!

Me too! A quart size milk container makes a great 1lb size mold!

Back