Moisture in Lotion containers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snbpatterson

Reaction score
I just started to make lotion last week. I was lucky enough to get great recipes right from the start that made great medium thickness lotion. Here is what I used:

32g shea
12g jojoba
30g apricot kernel oil
12g glycerin
24g E wax
18g steric acid
350 g water

2 g Vit E
4.4g Germaben
FO

So all went well with product except when I open the lid, there is some condensation on the lid and a little on the sides. I used very small containers because I divided up the batch to try out different FO. I let it completely cool before I put it in the containers. Some were out overnight before I put them in the containers. I worry because I know that water can grow mold and bacteria and of course I don't want that. Any ideas on what went wrong? I mixed everything up well with my stick blender and all that.

Also side note, is regular bottled drinking water ok to use instead of distilled? I used distilled but it would be nice to not have to buy a seperate water when I have drinking water on hand. And one final question, how long is distilled water ok to use after it's been open? I could only find gallon jugs of it but I only used less than half that day and I wasn't sure if it is still good after being opened.

Thanks so much!

My first thought on the condensation was it was warm when you put the lids on. That would definitely cause condensation. As for the water issue. Plain tap water is very har in some areas ( meaning the water is full of minerals and salts) this could have an adverse reation with your finished product. I do not use distilled water but I do use water that has been softened and then run through a reverse osmosis system. It is filtered own to the minutest particles. Distilled water is condensed into into steam and as it runs through the cooling tube it is turned back into its liquid form this removes all impurities as far as I know...Dave

Latest posts

Back