Mixing CP and M&P to make a chunked soap.... questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyR

Reaction score
I asked this question at the bottom of my "what to do with M&P" post, but I don't think many people have seen it, and I got my fragrance in today so I want to make this soap tonight! ;)

I chunked up a bunch of multicoloured clear M&P soap and I want to add the chunks to a white CP batch. I'm using a 5 lb log mold. How does M&P react with CP? Are the chunks going to melt during the gel phase of the CP and end up not looking the way I want them to? Should I put the chunks into the mold first and then pour the CP over them, or add the chunks to the CP and then pour it all into the mold? Drop the chunks into the CP after it's in the mold?

I really don't know what the best way to do this would be. I have never used melt & pour before!

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! Here is an example of what I'm trying to do:

MP.jpg

I'll definitely be posting pictures when it's done! :)

I think any of those options would work well. Those in the photo look like they put the chunks first and then the overpour, though the overpour in that one could be white MP.

Make sure your CP is not hot, hot, it should be at lower temperature so that the M&P chucks don't melt. You could freeze the M&P chucks than add them to the CP soap or pour the CP over the frozen chucks. HTH

Not that I've tried that but I believe you would want to make sure that you keep your CP from gelling as that will keep the temperature down. I also agree that freezing your MP cubes is a really good idea.

Those are just my opinions, not experience speaking..... :?

Thanks a bunch!

I'm thinking that I will freeze the chunks first.... good idea!

Now, what I think I would like to do it put the chunks into the mold first, or atleast half of them, so that they're mostly at the bottom of the soap, and then pour the CP over.

Since melt and pour shrinks when it is not wrapped air tight, will I have problems with it if it's exposed to the air at the bottom of the soap and not totally embedded in the soap? Tabitha mentioned that the chunks that were inside the soap would be fine, but if the bottom of the bar is mostly the M&P chunks.... is it going to be okay? I guess someone who has experience in layering melt and pour on CP would know the answer to this!

Thanks again!

I never even thought about mixing CP with M&P. That's a great idea. Let us know what you did and how it turned out. We of course want pics too please!! I'm a newbie so I'm learning about new ways soaping and have learn a lot here. Share with us your experience when you try this! We would love to hear about the results!

I've done the MP to CP thing quite often and it works great. I've done it 4 different ways, too-I've stirred it right into my CP before pouring, I've strategically placed it on top for decoration, I poured melted MP right into the CP, and I've poured my CP over the MP as it sat in the bottom of my mold. All of those different ways work great. I also gel every batch of soap I make, including the MP to CP soaps, and can attest that the MP has never melted in any of them.

I have pics of 5 of my MP to CP soaps on the link below. The 5 to look for are the CocoVanille, the Bubblegum soap (melted MP was poured into this one), Black Raspberry Vanilla soap, the Mango Tea soap, and the Peppermint stick soap. Just scroll down until you find them. I've done many more of those kinds of soaps, but those 5 are the only I have up on my little web page. I really need to update my little site badly. It's been over a year and I've made many new soaps since then. :oops:

Here's the link:

http://members.cox.net/ssfkjfalf/AllMySoap/Start.htm

IrishLass :)

Irish Lass!

Beautiful Soap! I love your French Fry bags - that is so clever and looks amazing.

Your stuff is inspiring...thank you for sharing....

Irishlass - I always enjoy looking at your beauties!! Thanks!!!

Digit

I just love your Pomegranate soap! Very nice swirl and colors! I know this may be a dumb question...but could you explain how you gel your batches?

SoapMom said:
I just love your Pomegranate soap! Very nice swirl and colors! I know this may be a dumb question...but could you explain how you gel your batches?

SoapMom, most times you need to insulate your soap to ensure it gels. If you're using a wooden log mold you don't usually need to, but if you are using cavity or tray molds, you may need to cover your soap in towels and blankets and keep it somewhere warm to ensure it heats up enough. I know that some people turn their oven on a low setting (200-ish) to heat it up, then turn it off and put the soap in there to stay warm. You can also put a heating pad under your mold! But wrap it up too... you don't want a partial gel!

Thank you!

Re: gelling: Ditto everything AshleyR said. I use SoapmakerMan's wooden TOG molds, which are very well insulated and produce gel for me each time.

IrishLass :)

Dud! I see what you're saying. I thought you were doing something different. Sorry.

Latest posts

Back