Quantcast

MISSING INGREDIENT

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

withoutworry

Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2007
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
TO ANYONE WHO COULD HELP...

I MADE SOAP THE OTHER DAY, EXACTLY AS THE RECIPE TOLD ME AND SOMETHING IS MISSING. IT DOES NOT LATHER AND LEAVES A THICK FILM OF OIL ON MY SKIN. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT I AM MISSING?

I COMBINED 4OZ SHEA BUTTER(MELTED) WITH 4 OZ OF BEESWAX(MELTED) AND THEN ADDED 5 OZ GRAPESEED OIL AND 2 TEAPSPOONS OF FRAGRANT OIL.

COULD I MELT THE BARS BACK DOWN AND ADD WATER EVER IT IS THAT IS MISSING FROM THE RECIPE?

THANKS A LOT,

AUDRA
 

pepperi27

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2007
Messages
1,861
Reaction score
0
What are you trying to make mp/cp I'm not sure by your ingredients? If its cp it sounds like your missing lye,coconutoil, palm oil stuff.
 

withoutworry

Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2007
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
REPLY

What are you trying to make mp/cp I'm not sure by your ingredients? If its cp it sounds like your missing lye,coconutoil, palm oil stuff.
I'M NOT SURE WHAT MP/CP IS, THE RECIPE DIDN'T SAY, I'LL DOUBLE CHECK THOUGH. THANKS
 

soapbuddy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2007
Messages
5,311
Reaction score
22
Location
Hot Desert of Cali
Sounds like you made a lotion bar, not soap.
If you add water, it will only separate unless you add an emulsifier. The emulsifier would make it into a lotion. You will need a preservative, since there would be water in it.

Irena
 

Soapmaker Man

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2007
Messages
3,006
Reaction score
87
Location
SW Missouri
withoutworry, what are you attempting? There is a world of difference between CP soapmaking, and M&P soapmaking, like, night & day difference. Are you simply melting a big square of pre-made soap, then you have M&P. If you are mixing different oils, then adding a lye solution, then you are making CP soap. I kinda concerned here, your safety is of utmost importance. It sounds like you need to read and research more before attempting anything more. :?

Paul.... :wink:
 

withoutworry

Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2007
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
reply

soapbuddy said:
Sounds like you made a lotion bar, not soap.
If you add water, it will only separate unless you add an emulsifier. The emulsifier would make it into a lotion. You will need a preservative, since there would be water in it.

Irena
The recipe did say easy lotion bars, i guess i didn't realize that it wouldn't lather. What can I use for an emulsifier to make lotion out of it. I don't want it to go to waste. Also, is there anyway I can turn it into lotion soap. Thanks, Audra
 

soapbuddy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2007
Messages
5,311
Reaction score
22
Location
Hot Desert of Cali
Re: reply

withoutworry said:
soapbuddy said:
Sounds like you made a lotion bar, not soap.
If you add water, it will only separate unless you add an emulsifier. The emulsifier would make it into a lotion. You will need a preservative, since there would be water in it.

Irena
The recipe did say easy lotion bars, i guess i didn't realize that it wouldn't lather. What can I use for an emulsifier to make lotion out of it. I don't want it to go to waste. Also, is there anyway I can turn it into lotion soap. Thanks, Audra
First I would go find a recipe for lotion. :D Some folks use E-Wax NF, Polawax, Borax and Beeswax. Distiled water woud be best. Careful sanitary procedures must be adhered to, since this is a product that stays on your skin. The water must be boiled for 20 minutes, then cooled before use. Different oils will give different properties on the skin. They also differ if your skin is acne prone, oily, dry or mature.
Depending whether you make O/W (oil in water) or W/O (water in oil) emulsion, a correct preservative at manufacturer's recommendations must be adhered to. More is not better.

Irena
 

soapbuddy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2007
Messages
5,311
Reaction score
22
Location
Hot Desert of Cali
Forgot to add: lotion soap is just liquid soap with same type of oils that are used in lotions, or CP soap.
 

Tabitha

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2006
Messages
7,135
Reaction score
142
Location
Texas
You did make a lotion bar which is just a solid, condensed lotion. People pay big money for lotion bars. You can sell a 2oz lotion bar for $4.00-$8.00 while a 2oz bar of soap will sell for about $2.00. Peopl place lotion bars into pretty little metal tins, or pour the hot mixture into deodorant type containers for ease of use. If you make it again, but a little thinner, with more oil, less wax or butter, you can pour it directly into a little tin, maybe with a slide top & call it a salve. You can play around with differnt essential oils & make a really great winter hands salve.
 

Tabitha

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2006
Messages
7,135
Reaction score
142
Location
Texas
Oh, and another thing, if you were to take the recipe you posted above & add a flavor oil, you would have a really great lip balm! You can sell a 1/5oz lip balm for 2-3 dollars! Nice profit margin there.

You are ahead of the game, now you know how to make lotion bars & lip balsm & you were not even trying! Good for you.
 

Tabitha

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2006
Messages
7,135
Reaction score
142
Location
Texas
OK, so you thought it was a soap bar with lotion in it , right. I am with soapmakerman. You need to read a little bit about soap making before you make a mistake that could hurt you or someone else.

I'M NOT SURE WHAT MP/CP IS, THE RECIPE DIDN'T SAY, I'LL DOUBLE CHECK THOUGH. THANKS
M&P is an item you make by melting & pouring into a mold. Soapmaker man expleined M&P soap above, you made M&P lotion, if you melt chocolate chips & pour them into a chocolate mold you have made melt & pour candy.

CP is cold process which requires much research, it begins with lye and end with 4-6 weeks of curing.

Let us know what you are wanting to make & we will refer you to a simple step by step online instructions.
 

soapbuddy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2007
Messages
5,311
Reaction score
22
Location
Hot Desert of Cali
Tabitha said:
Oh, and another thing, if you were to take the recipe you posted above & add a flavor oil, you would have a really great lip balm! You can sell a 1/5oz lip balm for 2-3 dollars! Nice profit margin there.

You are ahead of the game, now you know how to make lotion bars & lip balsm & you were not even trying! Good for you.
Oh yes, lip balms! You can make that too! :)

Irena
 
G

Guest

If you are looking to make soap proberly you should do some research first before you hurt yourself. It can be dangerous with Lye and all.

go to this site to do some research

www.millersoap.com

this will definitely help you.
 

dantango

Active Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2007
Messages
40
Reaction score
0
Location
Richland, WA
withoutworry said:
TO ANYONE WHO COULD HELP...

I MADE SOAP THE OTHER DAY, EXACTLY AS THE RECIPE TOLD ME AND SOMETHING IS MISSING. IT DOES NOT LATHER AND LEAVES A THICK FILM OF OIL ON MY SKIN. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT I AM MISSING?

Lye and water. As others indicated, you made lotion not soap.
 

Latest posts

Top