MISSING INGREDIENT

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

withoutworry

Reaction score
TO ANYONE WHO COULD HELP...

I MADE SOAP THE OTHER DAY, EXACTLY AS THE RECIPE TOLD ME AND SOMETHING IS MISSING. IT DOES NOT LATHER AND LEAVES A THICK FILM OF OIL ON MY SKIN. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT I AM MISSING?

I COMBINED 4OZ SHEA BUTTER(MELTED) WITH 4 OZ OF BEESWAX(MELTED) AND THEN ADDED 5 OZ GRAPESEED OIL AND 2 TEAPSPOONS OF FRAGRANT OIL.

COULD I MELT THE BARS BACK DOWN AND ADD WATER EVER IT IS THAT IS MISSING FROM THE RECIPE?

THANKS A LOT,

AUDRA

What are you trying to make mp/cp I'm not sure by your ingredients? If its cp it sounds like your missing lye,coconutoil, palm oil stuff.

What are you trying to make mp/cp I'm not sure by your ingredients? If its cp it sounds like your missing lye,coconutoil, palm oil stuff.
I'M NOT SURE WHAT MP/CP IS, THE RECIPE DIDN'T SAY, I'LL DOUBLE CHECK THOUGH. THANKS

Sounds like you made a lotion bar, not soap.
If you add water, it will only separate unless you add an emulsifier. The emulsifier would make it into a lotion. You will need a preservative, since there would be water in it.

Irena

withoutworry, what are you attempting? There is a world of difference between CP soapmaking, and M&P soapmaking, like, night & day difference. Are you simply melting a big square of pre-made soap, then you have M&P. If you are mixing different oils, then adding a lye solution, then you are making CP soap. I kinda concerned here, your safety is of utmost importance. It sounds like you need to read and research more before attempting anything more. :?

Paul.... :wink:

soapbuddy said:
If you add water, it will only separate unless you add an emulsifier. The emulsifier would make it into a lotion. You will need a preservative, since there would be water in it.

Irena

The recipe did say easy lotion bars, i guess i didn't realize that it wouldn't lather. What can I use for an emulsifier to make lotion out of it. I don't want it to go to waste. Also, is there anyway I can turn it into lotion soap. Thanks, Audra

Re: reply

withoutworry said:
soapbuddy said:

Irena

The recipe did say easy lotion bars, i guess i didn't realize that it wouldn't lather. What can I use for an emulsifier to make lotion out of it. I don't want it to go to waste. Also, is there anyway I can turn it into lotion soap. Thanks, Audra

First I would go find a recipe for lotion. :D Some folks use E-Wax NF, Polawax, Borax and Beeswax. Distiled water woud be best. Careful sanitary procedures must be adhered to, since this is a product that stays on your skin. The water must be boiled for 20 minutes, then cooled before use. Different oils will give different properties on the skin. They also differ if your skin is acne prone, oily, dry or mature.
Depending whether you make O/W (oil in water) or W/O (water in oil) emulsion, a correct preservative at manufacturer's recommendations must be adhered to. More is not better.

Irena

You did make a lotion bar which is just a solid, condensed lotion. People pay big money for lotion bars. You can sell a 2oz lotion bar for $4.00-$8.00 while a 2oz bar of soap will sell for about $2.00. Peopl place lotion bars into pretty little metal tins, or pour the hot mixture into deodorant type containers for ease of use. If you make it again, but a little thinner, with more oil, less wax or butter, you can pour it directly into a little tin, maybe with a slide top & call it a salve. You can play around with differnt essential oils & make a really great winter hands salve.

Oh, and another thing, if you were to take the recipe you posted above & add a flavor oil, you would have a really great lip balm! You can sell a 1/5oz lip balm for 2-3 dollars! Nice profit margin there.

You are ahead of the game, now you know how to make lotion bars & lip balsm & you were not even trying! Good for you.

OK, so you thought it was a soap bar with lotion in it , right. I am with soapmakerman. You need to read a little bit about soap making before you make a mistake that could hurt you or someone else.

I'M NOT SURE WHAT MP/CP IS, THE RECIPE DIDN'T SAY, I'LL DOUBLE CHECK THOUGH. THANKS

M&P is an item you make by melting & pouring into a mold. Soapmaker man expleined M&P soap above, you made M&P lotion, if you melt chocolate chips & pour them into a chocolate mold you have made melt & pour candy.

CP is cold process which requires much research, it begins with lye and end with 4-6 weeks of curing.

Let us know what you are wanting to make & we will refer you to a simple step by step online instructions.

Tabitha said:
Oh, and another thing, if you were to take the recipe you posted above & add a flavor oil, you would have a really great lip balm! You can sell a 1/5oz lip balm for 2-3 dollars! Nice profit margin there.

You are ahead of the game, now you know how to make lotion bars & lip balsm & you were not even trying! Good for you.

Oh yes, lip balms! You can make that too! :)

Irena

If you are looking to make soap proberly you should do some research first before you hurt yourself. It can be dangerous with Lye and all.

go to this site to do some research

www.millersoap.com

this will definitely help you.

withoutworry said:
TO ANYONE WHO COULD HELP...

I MADE SOAP THE OTHER DAY, EXACTLY AS THE RECIPE TOLD ME AND SOMETHING IS MISSING. IT DOES NOT LATHER AND LEAVES A THICK FILM OF OIL ON MY SKIN. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT I AM MISSING?

Lye and water. As others indicated, you made lotion not soap.

Back