Misc Newbie Questions/Reassurances sought ;-)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your soap was beautiful! And I hope you took great notes, because no matter what other soaps you make in your whole lifetime, there will never be one as good as that one without great notes. That first batch, once cured and used, will change your whole world.

Your soap was beautiful! And I hope you took great notes, because no matter what other soaps you make in your whole lifetime, there will never be one as good as that one without great notes. That first batch, once cured and used, will change your whole world.

Thank you for your kind words however I didn't feel it was a particular success or overly aesthetically impressive. That said I'm reasonably sure it wasn't a failure - and given I had very entry level expectations for this debut I was fine to have achieved anything above a passing grade.

In my mind there's really no way of knowing if it was a true success until I use it and thats around 5.5 weeks off.

That said, yes I did take IMHO meaningful and thorough notes as I'm somewhat painfully aware through past arrogance in other hobbies/crafts that they're invaluable in not only achieving success but more importantly avoiding failure or atleast learning from them.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nikko thank you for the kindness, I still think that your soap is awesome. Some of the soap here are mind blowing, but I am a fan of simple, two three colors the most , simple mild soaps. :))
The art pieces I see here , I would be scared to use it, for ruining it, I would rather look at them:))

Nikko thank you for the kindness, I still think that your soap is awesome. Some of the soap here are mind blowing, but I am a fan of simple, two three colors the most , simple mild soaps. :))
The art pieces I see here , I would be scared to use it, for ruining it, I would rather look at them:))

You're very welcome - FWIW I've a very similar mindset and could see myself going so far as to use an additive that colours the soap e.g red clay - however the additive would have to have a real and tangible benefit in the soap's usability to justify this. So a colourant just for aesthetics doesn't make sense to me - however if it's a secondary/additional benefit that comes from the additive I'd be quite open to it.

I know the vast majority of colouring additives are completely benign e.g mica but I just don't see the point - I look forward to someone quoting this back to me in 6mths time when I'm doing swirls, multi-layers and all kinda of stuff. ;)

I do think that as far as ingredients go - soap making is somewhat different from several other crafts/hobbies where the more expensive ingredients/components almost guarantee a superior end product.

IMHO it's nice for those on more limited budgets to be able to make an absolutely top tier soap (in terms of usability) from very entry level oils e.g olive, lard, tallow etc. Recipe forumulation and technique can allow these to be very competitive with the ultra pricey ingredient'd soaps.

Other colorant or additive that give color and function would be activated charcoal, exfoliants like lemon peel or poppy seeds, herbal infusions of oil if used HP and at the end of cook.

You can make a very beautiful soap and also have every ingredient pull its weigh.

I'm waiting for the day you do design work with the different color clays. Probably just to see if you can! (And yes you can)

Other colorant or additive that give color and function would be activated charcoal, exfoliants like lemon peel or poppy seeds, herbal infusions of oil if used HP and at the end of cook.

You can make a very beautiful soap and also have every ingredient pull its weigh.
Thank you Dorymae, this is good to know - I'd not considered several of those but they're good idea for down the track if/when I get a couple of base formulations I'm happy with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nikko, I understand how you feel about your first soap right now. I have the ugliest rebatch soap ever that is my first batch and second batch rebatched together. And I hold that bar of soap and smell it like it is one of my most precious possessions. Because it is. It represents a whole new world to me. One of a wonderful new hobby, and a lack of that miserable persistent itch I had lived with for years. I have no idea, whatsoever, of how much of what is in there, because I kept no notes.

Latest posts

Back