mica's from TKB

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youreapima2

Reaction score
Hello,

I have recently purchased some of mica colors from TKB, including:
6 Pearls Collection & SAMPLER Colored Micas (which they chose the colors.

I discovered after trying some of these colors in cp that some of them do not work well. Like the purple colors which turns orange.

I have not been able to find any info or reviews on their website for the following colors to be sure that they will work with cold process soap, and I would appreciate it if you may be able to answer this.

Has anyone tried these particular colors in CP?
If so, Will these colors work in cp?

Pearl yellow
Black star red mica
Pennsylvania Green
Vintage Blue
True yellow
Blackstar gold mica
Aztec Gold

Thanks,
Cathy

I've used Pennsylvania Green in a couple of blends with other green or blue micas. It worked well in that way. I don't think I've used it on its own, but I think it would be fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But micas lose the shimmery quality in CP.

Pigments like ultramarines and oxides stay true mostly. Micas color but they are prone to change because of saponification.

Most of the time, you do lose the shimmer in Micas, but I have had the shimmer come through when I just used the mica in small amounts of soap for a swirl.

As far as changing color, if the mica is PH stable, it will not morph in CP. Some micas can contain ingredients like Carmine or Ferric Ferrocyanide which are not stable in high PH.

Pearl yellow is good in CP soap but does come out a lighter yellow than you might expect. I love the pearl collection and all are stable. I have a couple of the Blackstar collection but have found that they mostly look black in CP but the gold one will probably look brownish. It's because of losing that glimmer-shimmer effect, although like Nancy, I've had some micas still look sparkly when I use a fair to large amount in a small amount of soap for a swirl. All the golds I've used lose their shine when mixed in with batter; I use them only in a small amount of oil and swirled on top. RE: the blue, green and yellow you listed, none of them are listed in the soap stable list, so I would run a small experiment before you put them in a full batch of soap. Next time you make soap, you could take an ounce of batter out per color and add some of each mica and let it set- see what happens. Did you request soap stable micas when you got the sampler?

These are the only ones TKB has under their soap stable link:http://www.tkbtrading.com/category.php?category_id=27&page=g

I mostly use mica and they perform brilliantly in CP. I use the pop micas - apple green, raspberry, blueberry, grape, lemon drop and tangerine. Also the black lustre, sparkling merlot and cappuccino micas.

Love them!

I did find these mica's and samples in the soap safe section.
When I initially purchased them I had purchased a large Amethyst one.
At the time it did NOT state on their site that it was only for M&P.
Only after using this along with pearl violet, and pink crystal together did I find it on their site, after it turned my soap a funky orange color. Had it been there when I ordered it, I would not have bothered. I REALLY wanted to make a purple soap, cuz I know it can be a difficult color to achieve.

I did inform TKB when I placed my order that I will be using the colors in cp soap.

After my soap turned orange I went thru their soap safe directory and checked on every single color that I had from purchased.
That is why I asked here if anyone had used them, because the only reviews on these particular colors is cosmetic usage reviews.

I have used the Pennsylvania green in M&P and it was great. As well as a few others. My biggest concern was whether they could handle the higher PH of CP.

I even contacted TKB about this, and they stared that everything in the "soap safe section" should be able to handle cp, and they wanted to know which colors turned my soap orange :)

I knew that the "Shimmer" from the mica's would/could get lost in cp, but the colors are absolutely beautiful in M&P as well, and I do a little of both cp and M&P. I am leaning more towards cp though.

Thank you for your advice and your help. I do appreciate the help.

BTW I forgot to ask....

Has anyone tried their "Neon" collection in cp?
The colors look wonderful and they state they are a soapers fav.

Dragonkaz said:
I mostly use mica and they perform brilliantly in CP. I use the pop micas - apple green, raspberry, blueberry, grape, lemon drop and tangerine. Also the black lustre, sparkling merlot and cappuccino micas.

Love them!

Dragonkaz where do you purchase these from? These colors are not listed on TKB trading

I have used many of TKB's soap safe micas in cp soap, and I have been very pleased with how they have turned out. I do mourn the fact that the Pops are discontinued, but they do seem to be coming out with some new colors. If you had a color morph on you, I would suggest that you call them, because they are not too quick with the emails.

I ordered some micas and waiting for my shipment. Hopefully today or tommorow!
Anyone try any of these?
blackstar red
chromium oxide green
cosmetic florescent blaze orange
cosmetic florescent soft pink
magic violet matte tone
omega blue matte tone

Soap safe is not the same as soap stable. It only means that its safe to use in soap applications.
Soap stable means it will hold its color in high ph.
I made the same mistake. I know the difference now.

youreapima2 said:
Dragonkaz said:

Love them!
Dragonkaz where do you purchase these from? These colors are not listed on TKB trading
I buy them from Aussie Soap Supplies in Australia. Have read somewhere that they're not called pop micas anymore in some countries ... think the name is rainbow instead. The colours perform so well, they're amazing! I use them to colour swirs and whole soap batters. I love knowing there's going to be morphing!

Latest posts

Back