Melting Beeswax

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ikindred

Reaction score
I decided to try my hand tonight and make beeswax melts and I melted the wax in a 4 cup pyrex measuring cup.....mistake! I can't get the remaining wax off the inside of the measuring cup. Any suggestions if perhaps I should have used some nonstick spray or something else to melt in?

cleanup is problematic - i have a dedicated beeswax melt pot.

you can try -
- turn the thing upside down over a paper towel on a flat pan and put in the preheated oven - say 200, then wipe.
- heat with a touch of oil in there - something stable - so that it kinda solubulizes the beeswax. wipe it around as you wipe out the container.
- there are wax removers you can buy, but I don't know where besides from an online candlemaking supplier - maybe a craft store?

Problematic is a understatement...lol I am going to try the oven method you mentioned Carebear and see what happens. I normally use this particular pyrex measuring cup to melt down my shea butter when making whipped shea so I can still us it but good gracious is looks a mess!

Can't wait to try my melts later and see how they do....seems pretty hard last night when I took them out of mold.

it's always good to have tools dedicated for each job i.e. don't use your wax tools for cooking or making other products as there's always a chance of cross-contamination. It costs more but will save you some headaches in the long run.

I used metal coffee cans for beeswax but I also use beeswax to season my cast iron. You could heat your oven to 200 degrees and place the Pyrex upside down on a cast iron frying pan or Dutch oven until the wax has melted off. Then wipe off the Pyrex with alcohol while it's still hot.

Latest posts

Back