Measuring Your Liquids

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeeDee

Reaction score
Ok, this might be a stupid question, so please forgive me.
I am new CP soaping. Right now I weigh everything. The recipes I have been using is all in ounces.

Like I said, I weigh everything, that being said, I have become obsessively paranoid that I find myself weighing each and everything ingredient like 3 or 4 times before I am confident that I can add it.

I totally understand weighing the lye and solid oils/butters but why do we have to weigh our liquid oils? If my recipe calls for 16 oz of OO, why can't I just measure that out in my measuring cup?

Thanks!

because not every liquid has the same density.

for example, 8 FLUID oz of some FOs take up considerably less space than 8 fluid ounces of oils. this is just an example, even different soaping oils have different densities.

Also, you must have all the same units if you are going to put your formulas into percentages. Which you should.

weight is the great equalizer.

Carebare is absolutely right, plus, it does not hurt to be a little obsessive about measuring when you are a beginner. :D

There really are no stupid questions , honest :D
I follow the carpenter's rule , measure twice , pour once. I also have a paper with my recipe on it beside me , and tick the ingredients off the sheet as I go .I use the paper to makes notes when making the soap and when I am checking it while it gels etc and cutting it , if any colors morphed , what the scent is like ,etc .Then I add the info to my soapmaker program. I would never remember everything if I didn't :shock: .

Kitn

That's what I'm doing, keeping notes about smell, color, how it changes over time etc. I would forget.

i take notes also, but wish i started right away, i have some awesome "old" soap that i dont know the recipe! cp is so awesome after time.

Yep, what carebear said.

Deedee, don't worry about the obsessive behaviour, LOL. I think most of us are like that when we first start out, I know I was. I would nearly have panic attacks just pouring my lye into the water because I knew there was no turning back once AI did that! But I'm over that now. You will get over it too. You'll get to the point where you can practically do it in your sleep, while eating, while peeing, while talking on the phone...etc.
(No, I don't soap while peeing. At least not intentionally). :lol:

So glad to know I am not the only one obsessively paranoid!
So funny Bunny about the panic attacks, lol.
I just went of my anxiety meds shortly before I started making soap. I thought I was feeling pretty good. Maybe I should of stayed on them until I got a couple, few, hundred pounds of soap under my belt :)

Thanks everyone!

i take notes also, but wish i started right away, i have some awesome "old" soap that i dont know the recipe! cp is so awesome after time.

Honor...you crack me up.

One of the first soaps I made was the best soap to date and I didn't take any notes! What was I thinking??? I don't even know what recipe it was. I will keep checking thorugh my computer, but I am so sad I can't replicate it like I made it. Live and learn.

[/quote]

Latest posts

Back