May 2021 Challenge Entry Thread - One Pot Wonder (OPW)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

amd

This is the Entry thread for the SMF May 2021 Challenge - One Pot Wonder. Please post your entry photos in this thread. Please remember not to post your entry photos anywhere else until after the challenge is finished. You can not use any photos that you have shared elsewhere already. Your entry may include information about the soap itself, the oils, colours, fragrances etc used, inspiration for design, etc. But please keep comments, compliments, and questions about anyone else's entry in the Challenge announcement thread. This Entry thread is only for posting entries. Thank you

After the closing date on May 28, 2021 at 11:59 pm GMT the winning entry will be chosen using Survey Monkey. Voting will be open from May 29-31, 2021 and the winner will be announced on June 1, 2021. There is no prize attached to this challenge.

Your entry will have two photos. The first of at least two bars from your batch, and the second of your main (one) pot before pouring.

Good luck!

Chromatic Aberration (Double OPW in steep & grazing cut)

chromatic_aberration.jpg

Pot before pouring (straight from above & perspective to better see the spout and that I poured the coloured batters at 90° from it):
main_pot_before_pouring.jpg

Colours: Black oxide – Paprika kernel oil – TiO₂+ZnO – Indigo – Black oxide

Pour pot: milk carton (quadratic, 1L), T&S mould: carton of evaporated milk (340 mL). Total batch weight 226 g (after beveling and one week into cure).

Some more background to intermediate spray-freezing, different OPW angles, and the skew cut geometry: see here. The lying soap bar is composed from the two triangular end pieces, hence the unsightly weld. I'll also have to vent some troubles with my recipe (high in poppy seed oil, canola wax and japan wax), as well as the indigo that intermittently changed its colour to light green, and didn't fully recover to a reputable blue.

ETA Name inspiration: Chromatic aberration is the (usually unwanted) property of optical devices (camera lenses, telescopes etc.) to refract light of different colours differently, which leads to focus issues and coloured rims around high-contrast structures (black-white). If you look very closely, in nearly any photograph, one edge of a dark or light structure appears reddish, the other in a blue hue. It's in some sense the beginning and end of a rainbow (though, for optical projection methods, unwanted).

The “aberration” of colours unintentionally got an ironical twist when the indigo “aberred” and turned green … still subject to investigation. The black oxide also didn't come out quite as brilliant as hoped. All in all, this challenge was a neat one-shot experiment, but it won't convert me to dye my soaps in the future. To needlessly stretch metaphoric imagery even further, I “ab-erred” from my usual self-confident-soap-ingredients-don't-need-colourant-additions habit for a short time. Not to speak from insubordination towards rectangular conventions of soap loaf cutting.

ETA²: Until a decision on rule clarification has been made, this entry (as well as many other of the submissions so far) may disqualify, since I have split a colour into two pours.

Last edited:
Looks like I'll be the first to submit so here goes. I pleased enough with the way it turned out, however, I think had I poured slower it would have produced wider lines which would make it more dramatic. I also like the colours which were Orca Black, Roasted Chestnuts, Bronze & plain, however I didn't realize the chestnut would be so dark. I lightened it but obviously not enough - it needs more plain stipes. I used a 12" tall, skinny mold but my batter didn't fill it so I cut them thicker so they're more cube like. For a first try I'm happy with this entry.

Edit: I see now I didn't really do the technique right. :confused:

OPW1.jpg
OPW2.jpg

Last edited:
This is My entry. The colors are Key West Blue, Tickled Pink, Wicked and Black Oyster, all from Mad Mica's. I did not use a TS mold but instead used my standard loaf mold. The FO is Black Raspberry Vanilla which behaved well.

one pot wonder.jpg

For the pot, I used a beer pitcher I found at the 100 mile garage sale. Apologies for the weird lighting but its near impossible to take a good picture down a beer pitcher lol

The Pot.jpg

Well, here is my selection for the entry thread, having decided that the rainbow colours ( in the sign-up thread) weren't defined enough for my liking.
This is the colour scheme that kept me awake all night after signing up, and I'm perfectly happy with the colour/definition/contrast of this combo.
I used micas except for the black part, which was AC. The fragrance was a blend of Love Spell ( Candle Science) and Lavender, Tea and Tonic (also from Candle Science), which is fast becoming a firm favourite of mine because it seems to slow trace, and it smells great!
I decided to call the soap Love, Tea and Tonic.
Pic 1: Colours mixed ready to pour into the main jug
Pic 2: In the pot ready to go
F667DA16-BDA8-464C-8099-1DCE5045CC13.jpeg
0E69F61E-5846-48AA-A2DD-53C9C62E85F4.jpeg
D7850880-F22B-4198-8E68-0956031D1551.jpeg
7B254572-C933-4F19-B791-D48E659BBEF9_1_201_a.jpeg

Pic 3: The top
Pic 4: Finished product/ Entry Pic

So after a household vote, this is my entry. I used my usual slow soap recipe with Nature's Garden Aqu di Gio Type FO. I colored with Activated Charcoal, Nurture Soap's Queen for a Day, Force of Nature and Full Throttle micas. It was a lovely behaved pour and I recruited my son to keep mold tilted appropriately and take may pour pictures.
IMG_0052.jpg
IMG_0053.jpg
IMG_0054.jpg
IMG_0060.jpg

Thanks @amd for introducing me to this new and fun technique! Another great fun challenge!

Last edited:
Here's my one and only attempt at the OPW. FO is Oatmeal Milk and Honey from Brambleberry, chosen because it behaves well. The colorants are a combination of micas from BB (Cappuccino, Silver, Gold, and Stormy Blue); I added AC to a few of the colors to darken them.

I wasn't thrilled to see glycerin rivers when I cut it, but there's something about them that I'm actually really liking in this batch. We can pretend they were intentional :)

The trickiest part for me was pouring the batter into the mold, mainly because my setup was faulty.

Hats off to @amd for hosting this challenge! I imagine that I'll try this technique again in the future. I like how it's simple yet dramatic.

IMG_3661b.jpg

Entry photo

20210522_193600.jpg

Pot before pouring

Hear is my 2nd attempt and Official Entry for our OPW Design:
Soap Name: " Butterfly Wing's "
I used three colors in total: 1st color Eye of the tiger: 2nd color Nocturnal: 3rd color Full Throttle:
I pored each color completely & Separately a total of three pours of color in same spot down the side of the bowl' one right after another. I then poured the soap into a Rectangle Mold' W/ the mold slanted slightly tell I reached top then lowered the mold flat. I scented the soap with #4 Scents in total' 1-Winter Wonderland: 2-Monkey Farts: 3-Loving Spell: 4-Persephone's Kiss:
It smells delightful' as a Whispering Spring Breeze' with hints of Floral' Citrus' & Mint.

I want to give a special shout out to @amd for hosting our challenge & choosing such a fun soap design.
Thank You 🤗💫✨.

A42F42DD-060E-4557-AA7E-D4C425DB8942.jpeg
9B6614F0-F70A-4787-80FD-FB04AD1A8915.jpeg

Last edited:
My entry is scented with Blue Grotto from Rustic Escentuals. All colors from Nurture Soap, TD, Trial by Fire and Midnight. This technique has both intrigued and frustrated me! I didn't get a picture of the pouring pot from above as I was so worried about it thickening up on me, it stayed pretty fluid, but the red did get thick by the end. I also wasn't sure if I should scrape that red down before pouring the white I chose not to so it does look a little "off" but I really did pour all in the same spot, but when I rotated my color vessel to scrape it out it dribbled always I'm in such a hurry because things are moving quicker than I want! My daughters want me to call this "Bomb Pop" because it looks like the popsicle 🙂
0514211004_HDR~2.jpg
0512211411~2.jpg

Sunset Ride on the “Cyclone” - I came up with this name after I watched a documentary about Coney Island that featured a photo of the famous Cyclone roller coaster at sunset. My dad, who grew up in Brooklyn, NY, once tried to get me to ride the Cyclone. I was about 9 years old at the time and remember being terrified by the thought of it.

33E905A2-B826-4C35-B7AD-DF886D125E20.jpeg

E845BC50-1C9B-47F1-80F6-0D441E371773.jpeg

The colorants are rhubarb root, paprika and annatto infused oils and some AC. The batch size was 450 g of oils and the mold was a mini T&S. Batter split off at emulsion was used to make the three base color layers shown in the first photo below and then smaller portions of the rhubarb and paprika layers were split off to make two portions of black batter (dry AC added). The fragrance, a blend of NS Satsuma + orange 6x eo, was added after the colors were finalized.

76A7777D-7A55-4B10-AE2E-54D33979640D.jpeg

After waiting a bit for the emulsion to thicken, I decided to give it a go. The colors were layered into a 1000 ml measuring cup, with the pour at about 45 deg from the left side of the spout (see above). When I saw the layered batter from the side, I figured it was a bust, but actually the batter at emulsion produced very fine feathering, with some interesting variation along the loaf. The bar with more distinct banding is from one end of the loaf while the other bar is from near the middle.

5421CC6C-8C01-4CE8-B9A8-571976A5B77F.jpeg

Having the mold elevated made for good ergonomics and the mold in a mold arrangement made it easy to adjust the tilt.

BF240335-0278-44C4-A8F0-C7F90B87815F.jpeg

Salty Dog Soap - I used Olive Oil, Lard, Coconut Oil, Cocoa Butter and Castor Oil. Mostly Olive and Lard because I wanted a slower moving batter. I used Here Comes The Bride, Golden Buddha, Snow White, Andy The Money and Black Mica. I scented this with Salty Dog with Lime - (hence the original name, lol).

Attachments

• B9EC60A9-AD6E-4A24-98C6-76AEA54465B2_1_201_a.jpeg
    B9EC60A9-AD6E-4A24-98C6-76AEA54465B2_1_201_a.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 54280EBD-9398-4C04-B8B4-69208D881DD9_1_201_a.jpeg
    54280EBD-9398-4C04-B8B4-69208D881DD9_1_201_a.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 193F1F9E-4215-416C-842F-5116953F8455_1_201_a.jpeg
    193F1F9E-4215-416C-842F-5116953F8455_1_201_a.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 59
Here is my entry for the challenge. This is my first ever soap challenge of any kind and I only made one attempt.

For colors I used Nurture Soap's Really Red, Electric Orange Mica, Nocturnal (black), and Yellow Vibrance Mica. The yellow was a last minute decision. For fragrance oil I used Nature's Garden Volcano Type FO.

I used my mortar and pestle to tilt the mold for me while pouring. I knew it was a mistake before I started, but proceeded anyway. The angle was good but I made a huge mess, as this bowl is difficult to pour from, but it's my soaping bowl and I use it all the time. I also have the same problem almost every time.

Attachments

• 20210521_121457.jpg
    20210521_121457.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 20210523_154002.jpg
    20210523_154002.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 78
Same as Stephd31. First ever soap challenge of any kind and I only made one attempt. For colors I used Tahitian Teal, Twilight and Pow Pow Purple from Mad Micas. FO was Somali Soul from Nurture Soaps. Recipe was something I have been using a lot lately with one tweak here and there for soft oil replacements. Lard, Palm, Coconut Oil, Shea Butter and Castor Oil. This batch had Sweet Almond Oil. Nice slow moving recipe with 40% lye concentration. Fragrance behaved beautifully and I controlled my trace the best I probably ever have. Love the picture of the container before the pour. All in all I was very happy with the outcome and decided not to make another attempt. I will definitely try this pour again with some red, orange, yellow combo next time. Hope I lived up to the standards you guys always put forth.
IMG_0500.jpeg
IMG_0459.jpg
IMG_0497.jpg

These are my challenge entry bars:

OPW 15maj obrezano za izziv IMG_5200.JPG

Soap in the improvised loaf from top:

OPW 15maj2021 obrez  IMG_5149.jpg

The unmoulded loaf:

IMG_5151.JPG

And the decanting pitcher:

OPW 15maj2021 IMG_5148.JPG

I used mostly beef tallow and lard, with smaller additions of coconut, olive and HO sunflower oils, 33.33 % lye concentration, lemongrass and bergamot FOs.
The colours: the blue is my own grown indigo, the red, ochre and brownish (which should have been green) are clays.

Attachments

• OPW 15maj2021 obrez  IMG_5149.jpg
    OPW 15maj2021 obrez IMG_5149.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 45
Well gosh, I'm just going to post this one, although I'll replace with another if I get a chance to try again. As you can see, the green thickened up terribly, while the others stayed nice and fluid. Some of the orange and green must have combined to make that yellow, as I didn't pour any yellow into the pot!

The center two bars at the back have fairly straight lines, because I accidentally turned the last chunk sideways before cutting. I actually like those the best, although I realize they aren't technically the OPW style for which we are aiming.

IMG_1404.JPG

IMG_1403.JPG

I almost forgot to get my entry in! Have been terribly busy and then over the weekend my well pump breaker started tripping and I mostly had no water. Anyway this is it: colored with Nurture soap's Kashmir blue with a little turquoise added to brighten it, emerald green, Hollywood pink, and sunshine yellow. Scented with Sunshine on my mind from Nurture. I MEANT to have the yellow on top but loaded the pouring pitcher backwards, and am most definitely not going to have time to try again. I like it a lot though!

117C7EAF-7E7C-4105-9AB1-5DE81B90756D.jpeg
E7195222-0738-49DE-8AFA-A75F52D89EC8.jpeg

Latest posts

Back