May 2021 Challenge Entry Thread - One Pot Wonder (OPW)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My entry -
Colors: Iris Purple (NS), Granny Smith Green (WSP-CC), Sirens Song (NS), Cantaloupe (NS)
FO: Star Showers (NS)

ETA: (NS) on FO

4th try - bowl.jpg

4th try - soap.jpg

The fragrance is Osmanthus from Majestic Mountain Sage, which is a personal favorite of mine. The colors used were (from Nurture) Winter White, Baby Blue, Mimosa, Nocturnal and (from Bramble Berry) Moss Green. My batter was layered into the pouring pot at the half-way point between the spout and handle.
5.2021 Osmanthus OPW.jpg
PXL_20210505_204139913.jpg

My May 2021 OPW entry. This was my fourth attempt. For this attempt I decided to use different batter consistencies. I blended the batter just to emulsion and then split into the four colors, keeping the yellow and light blue very fluid and blending the gray and dark blue to light/medium trace.

As you can see, the yellow created a lightning effect while the gray acted as a foundation for the rest of the colors. I really like the effect of the darker blue.

Colors used are NS’s Neutral Gray, MM’s Twilight with a little MYO’s Fluorescent Blue, MM’s Bright Yellow with a little blue (to create a slightly greenish yellow), and finally the same blue colors with some TD. Fragrance is NG’s Peppermint FO.

I poured each color down the front spout, fully pouring each color into the container. While this effect doesn’t translate into the typical layered effect, for this design I wanted each color to remain mostly individual.

Thank you for hosting this challenge, @amd.View attachment 57796
37C882BD-9744-4545-B2EC-535872ECC9D4.jpeg
C356920A-26B3-4480-921C-1E407CC09F17.jpeg

Last edited:
I haven't made soap for awhile and got super excited when I saw this challenge. This was the push I needed to get back into making soaps.

I changed up my base recipe a bit a left out a couple of filler oils. This is olive, coconut, shea and castor oils only. I used Terra Cotta, Blackberry and Black Gold micas from Micamoma. For fragrance I used Lavender, Grapefruit, Sweet Orange and Patchouli EOs and I used my regular mold. I really like how it came out. Next time I'll know to either use TD or a different color for a more dramatic color shift. Unfortunately the Terra Cotta and Black Gold are a bit too similar.

Thank you for this challenge!! I really enjoyed it!

Attachments

• IMG_20210527_103313.jpg
    IMG_20210527_103313.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20210512_110717.jpg
    IMG_20210512_110717.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Here is my entry for the May OPW challenge. I was inspired by the rock formations in the Valley of Fire State Park near Las Vegas, Nevada, as in the last photo. I’m intrigued by the possibilities of this technique - after four tries I think I am starting to get the hang of it. In this rendition, there are two greens, but they seem to have blended - representing the desert flora, then the rock formations, sky, and of course the desert sun. I used French green clay, Chrome oxide, and charcoal for the green, iron oxide and beta carotene for the red, TD for the white, Nurture Soap Brilliant Blue mica and TD for the blue, and lutein for the yellow. I’m so pleased with the way the sun came out, was worried I wouldn’t get to the yellow batter, which you can just see in the side view of the pouring jug on the bottom. I wish I had poured into the pouring jug at about 1:00 rather than right down the spout as I think the white and red would have layered better, but all in all I’m ok with it. It is scented with rosemary, sage, rosewood, and cypress EOs and smells great - to me it is reminiscent of the desert. Thanks for hosting @amd!

F9529946-220C-4AC7-B682-3246FCC1E2CC.jpeg
5AE4E8A8-278E-4A54-B1EB-910E2C4DBAC9.jpeg
1E5C4871-AD86-43F7-B708-B1C3AF39941B.jpeg
6549B106-E26E-425B-991A-3538CCD36C3C.jpeg

Soo, here goes!! My first challenge. It's not what I intended but, there are some swirls if you look close enough . 🧐 the batter was still on the medium side. Although not completely a lost cause. For colorants I used turmeric, paprika, cocoa powder, a greens powder mix, and instant coffee granules that make up the specks in the cocoa layer. The oils were canola, grapeseed, and castor. Added 1t white sugar to oils/lye mixture. My pot is narrow so thats why you won't see all the layers. But I assure you they are in there! My mold was a rectangular milk carton cut sideways. Melted a cd in cpop! (well, after cpop) I can tell you that story in another thread if you'd like to know! I'm multi talented like that :lol: also need to improve my photo session skills. Perfect lighting is hard to come by. All in all I had fun and it got me making soap after I had a bit of a lull. Looking for to the next one! Thanks y'all!!

Attachments

• Imagepipe_10.jpg
    Imagepipe_10.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Imagepipe_11.jpg
    Imagepipe_11.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Imagepipe_9.jpg
    Imagepipe_9.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 28
Entry thread is now closed! (Sorry I'm running behind, we had stuff come up last night so I wasn't anywhere near wifi much less a laptop!) If you are signed up in the signup thread, you will get a PM with a password secure voting survey, regardless if you had an entry or not. Voting will be open from May 29-31, 2021 and the winner will be announced on June 1, 2021 (or after all votes are received, whichever comes first).. There is no prize attached to this challenge.

Congrats! @dibbles @Guspuppy and @Mobjack Bay

This was a fun “challenge.” I think more of it as play-soaping because the creative possibilities were limitless yet dependable. More and more I have let go of the need to execute things perfectly because you really do never know what might come out of the cut.

I will say this: I won’t EVER forget to take a photo of my soaping container pre-pour.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone! This made my day! Congratulations to @Mobjack Bay and @Guspuppy.

I was so impressed with the entries for this challenge, and also the non-entries that were shown. Everyone did such a great job and so many varied and beautiful soaps were created.

Thank you @amd for this fun challenge!

Back