Math help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ant

Reaction score
I recently made a batch of soap using black mica. It has grey lather and some gray streaking in the tub... sad days. Can someone help me with my math to hopefully avoid that in the future? Math isn't my strongest suit. I've been able to get away with estimating how much colorant to use but for these strong colors like blacks and reds I'm having trouble.

So for example:
50 oz total soap batch (35 oz of oils)
5 layers, 10 oz each.
Maximum mica usage before colored lather is 2 tsp ppo.

Exactly how much mica can I use for 10 oz of soap batter?

If anyone can help me with this, it is greatly appreciated. If anyone has some tricks or ways to simplify I'm all ears.

If 2 tsp is the max amount for 16 oz of soap, then a little over 1 tsp should be the max amount for 10 oz of soap. You could try 1 1/4 tsp as the max for 10 oz of soap.

Thanks lsg for the help! I'm stumped then. The batch that had grey suds, I separated it into three (17 oz each) containers. For one of the layers I used this mica, 1 tsp only. It turned out a darkish grey black. Bit grey lather and grey streaks, doesn't stain washcloth.

Now that I think of it, I did use a FO that discolors to a dark brown but I assumed the steaks would be brown instead of grey?

I do testers for my colourants. Start at 1/4 tsp for 10oz soap batter and work your way up to 1tsp and see what works for you colour wise and staining.

Don’t know about micas but if you Stickblend the same amount of activated charcoal it will be darker than the same amount hand blended.

I do testers for my colourants. Start at 1/4 tsp for 10oz soap batter and work your way up to 1tsp and see what works for you colour wise and staining.

Don’t know about micas but if you Stickblend the same amount of activated charcoal it will be darker than the same amount hand blended.

How do you go about making testers?

And will have to try your suggestion. Normally that's typically the amount I use in general but was trying to get the maximum color to get it dark. Solid black soap seem impossible to make without colored suds and bleeding.

Didn't know that about activated charcoal. Will have to try that out when I make a one colored soap.

The supplier suggests 1-2 tsp ppo (per pound of oil not batter weight)
lot of reviews say they got good colour at minimum usage.
you have 35 Oz oils = 2 pounds/5 = 0.4 tsp. This is too difficult to do.
So you should try using 1/2 tsp per layer.
To do testers make your 5 layers and use different amounts of mica in each layer. Write detailed notes as you go.
Work around 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 tsp per layer and see how you go.

AC is natural but mica will get you a darker colour with less bleed than AC. You just have to test until you get the colour you want without bleed. To me no bleed is an absolute must but you might not agree.

Also see if the SB and hand blending makes a difference to mica.

For FOtesters you can make little 2oz cubes of soap but it doesn’t work for colourants because less than 1/8 tsp is problematic. Also SBing tiny amounts doesn’t work unless you have the equipment. Keepyour 10oz layers and just try different amounts per layer and I’d necessary cut it up when it’s cured and test Each layer for bleed.

Last edited:
Thanks @penelopejane I think I over complicate things in general with overthinking most times but especially with math.

For me, like you, no bleed is a must. Very very minimal colored lather I can look past for personal use but I would feel bad if I gave bars away that streak the tub. Considering I'm the one who gets the honor of cleaning the tub weekly I don't like things that mess it up more than necessary.

Will try your suggestions with different mica concentrations.

I don’t think you are over complicating it. I think it’s good to be precise with measurements with soapmaking so I can reproduce the exact same colour/effect.
Some arty people don’t think that way and they get away with it, too! :)

Last edited:
Back