Masterbatching

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning… recently I scaled up my original recipe for masterbatching oils and lye. 55% hard oils. Tanks are heated and I soap usually around 90 degrees. Making approximately 15 lb loaves. I’m afraid I didn’t mix the oils in the tank well enough on the first 2 loaves because I’m getting to trace unusually quick and I’m thinking hard oils on the bottom. Have I ruined the whole lot?!?

It could be that, or it could also be that your oils are oxidizing. When that happens, there are more free fatty acids, which saponify almost immediately when they come in contact with lye. As a side note, if you have ever made shave soap with stearic acid, you have experienced this exact phenomenon.

Did you add an antioxidant such as ROE to your blend?

PS - I don't think your lot is ruined. Whether you want to sell them depends on whether the cured bars have the qualities that your buyers have come to expect from that particular recipe.

ROE = Rosemary Oleoresin (not rosemary essential oil). You can read more about it here.

As recommended in that article, a tiny, tiny bit of this goes a very long way. Buy a small quantity, and be sure to mind your decimal point when figuring out how much to add.

Since so little is used, I have only purchased it a couple of times. I believe my first one was from LotionCrafter.com or MakingCosmetics.com, but I'm not positive. My last order was from MakeYourOwn.Buzz which is now part of WSP.

ROE = Rosemary Oleoresin (not rosemary essential oil). You can read more about it here.

As recommended in that article, a tiny, tiny bit of this goes a very long way. Buy a small quantity, and be sure to mind your decimal point when figuring out how much to add.

Since so little is used, I have only purchased it a couple of times. I believe my first one was from LotionCrafter.com or MakingCosmetics.com, but I'm not positive. My last order was from MakeYourOwn.Buzz which is now part of WSP.
Thank you for all the info! I will definitely add this to my arsenal!

Latest posts

Back