Master batching Lye with goat milk?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharryn

Reaction score
I made my first goat milk a couple days ago and am anxious to make another. I just read about master batching your lye and wondered if it could be done with goat milk. Does the lye chemically change the milk so that it wouldn't sour or curdle? I would love to master batch but not sure if this is possible with milk.

I don't know of anyone who has done this, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. If this is something you want to do, give it a try and see what happens.

Even so, I agree with Arimara -- I would be concerned that milk in long contact with concentrated alkali may do strange things.

It will not "spoil" in the classic sense, as that is bacteria (typically lactobacillus) driven and nothing alive is going to remain so in a 50% lye solution. But I think the others are right that the fats will turn to soap and the proteins will get weird over time.

I wouldn't try it.

I personally wouldn't do it. Lye will react with the fat in the milk and saponify it, leaving you not so much with a lye solution, but something more like a gloppy, thickened gel of unknown strength I can only imagine. Distilled water is the best liquid to use if you ask me.

IrishLass :)

No, but the same issue would happen. Saponification of the fats in the goat's milk.

Rather than trying to masterbatch the goat's milk, why not use the split method and add masterbatched NaOH/water and either evaporated goat's milk, or goat's milk powder added to the oils?

Latest posts

Back