Master batch?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billthesoapguy

Reaction score
I had a thought a few weeks ago.....and I don’t think it is an original thought 😂. So, I thought I would ask the group.

Master batch: the idea of pre-mixing my CO, OO, Palm Kernel, castor, Shea, and coco butter together......melt the all together, and then put this “ master mixture” in buckets, so that when I am ready to make soap, I do not have to measure all the oils again. Instead, I just use the needed amount for each batch.

does that work? Do the oils separate after cooling? have people had success with the master batch concept?

Thanks,
Bill

Yes, that is the concept. However, with your ingredients it may pose a problem as you have a lot of hard oils and butters in the recipe. It’s likely to be too hard to master batch. You may just need to mix several batches in separate containers at a time.

I like to do what I call, multi-batch prep. It's essentially masterbatching but in separate containers. So I'm weighing out all of the coconut oil (for example at one time), then all of my olive oil, etc. but into separate containers (all the oils for my standard batch size in one container). I don't tend to do this for more than what I plan to make in a week because all but two of my containers are see through and I worry about oxidation from light exposure. Then when I need to make a batch I just grab a container and fix my lye water (which I often masterbatch as well) and soap!

I masterbatch 200lbs of oils at a time. I don't have as many hard oils as you do, however, I do what shunt says, and after making the 200lbs of my mixture, I then weight out individual batches out of those oils and set aside to harden. Then when I'm ready to make soap, I just grab a small master batch bucket and begin. this type of masterbatching would work with your recipe.

When I started master batching my oils, I also had a recipe with a lot of solid fats, included in link below. I have since modified it some; however, I was able to do it then and still follow the same process. I stir the mix thoroughly before filling each container, and I could tell that in identical containers, the semi-solid fats were at the same level (evenly distributed); after cooling.
https://soapsbyglenda.wordpress.com/2018/11/26/master-batching-multi-batching-oils/

does that work? Do the oils separate after cooling? have people had success with the master batch concept?

Yes. No. Yes.

I recently MB'd 640 oz of oils/butters...my recipe is 60% hard oils/butters (Coconut, Palm, Cocoa and Shea). I just checked...it's 70F in my house and the mixture is quite fluid and slightly opaque. I have a paint stirrer that I bought at Home Depot for $5.00 and give it a good stir for several minutes and then a quick whiz between batches. The bucket has a spout on it that I could use if I were making larger batches, but my largest mold is only 4lbs so I just use a long handled ladle. It'll hold about four oz full, but I err on the side of caution and scoop out about 3.5 oz. I made a spreadsheet for each one of my molds which tells me how many oz of oil/butter and lye solution that I need. I put my container on the scale, tare it, then scoop out xx number of scoops and weigh it and add or take away.

I also MB an appropriate amount of lye solution in one gallon jugs. I do this in four batches and let the lye cool thoroughly before pouring it in the jugs. Make sure you use all safety precautions and a funnel. Do NOT add sodium lactate to you solution...wait until you measure it out and then add it.

The Pros of Master Batching: 1) you're only measuring a few ingredients...oil/butters, lye and additives. 2) You can make more soap in less time. 3) Your oils/butters and lye are at the same temperature.

The Cons: 1) You can only make one recipe.

Unless you have the room to MB multiple recipes and then you going to have to very carefully label all of them and triple check you are grabbing the right buckets and jugs. I plan to MB my GMS, but I won't be able to MB the lye solution as I use raw goat milk

When I started master batching my oils, I also had a recipe with a lot of solid fats, included in link below. I have since modified it some; however, I was able to do it then and still follow the same process. I stir the mix thoroughly before filling each container, and I could tell that in identical containers, the semi-solid fats were at the same level (evenly distributed); after cooling.
https://soapsbyglenda.wordpress.com/2018/11/26/master-batching-multi-batching-oils/

thank you for the link! Great reading!! Ok, I am convinced....I am going to do a master batch. I need about 4-5 five gallon buckets if master batch, so I know. What I am doing this weekend 😂

I need about 4-5 five gallon buckets if master batch, so I know. What I am doing this weekend 😂
How much are you going to masterbatch at a time? in the beginning, if I were you, I would start with smaller masterbatches until you know it's going to work for you. JMO

A 5 gallon bucket will hold 25lbs of my masterbatched recipe.

I have masterbatched a 5 gallon bucket of fats and measured what I needed directly from the bucket. The recipe for this masterbatch has over 50% lard, and when the mixture was at room temperature, it separated in the pail into more liquidy fats on top and a more pudding-like layer of fats on the bottom (probably mostly the lard). It had to be stirred well before removing enough fat for a batch, and that got real messy. Learned my lesson.

The advice to separate the masterbatch into smaller batch-sized portions is really a better solution, unless the fats stay 100% liquid at room temperature, or a person has a heated tank to keep the fats melted.

Last edited:
I materbatch into 2 gallon buckets (I think that's what they are, I got them at Runnings), which holds 12lbs oils plus gives plenty of head room for stirring the oils before measuring off. My recipe is 63-65% hard oils - RBO, Tallow or Palm, CO, Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter and Castor. In cooler temps it holds a fairly nice gel state, but I do give it a stir as the RBO/Castor will sometimes settle towards the bottom. Warmer temps it doesn't hold the gel state as well, so I do always give it a good mix with the SB and hand stirring for extra measure. The cocoa butter seems to form small beads, which is generally ok as I can stir it to a nice distribution. Only once have I had a problem with larger chunks of cocoa butter forming, I chose to remelt that bucket to make sure I wasn't skewing my recipe (although honestly, I think my cocoa butter usage rate is so low it really wouldn't have affected the recipe, but better safe than sorry).

I have masterbatched a 5 gallon bucket of fats and measured what I needed directly from the bucket. The recipe for this masterbatch has over 50% lard, and when the mixture was at room temperature, it separated in the pail into more liquidy fats on top and a more pudding-like layer of fats on the bottom (probably mostly the lard). It had to be stirred well before removing enough fat for a batch, and that got real messy. Learned my lesson.

The advice to separate the masterbatch into smaller batch-sized portions is really a better solution, unless the fats stay 100% liquid at room temperature, or a person has a heated tank to keep the fats melted.
I also use a paint mixer attachment for my drill to mix my master batch before using. Works well to make sure all of my oils are well mixed!

Yes, I add ROE if the fat doesn't have added antioxidants. Examples include home-rendered lard and tallow as well as commercial coconut oil and all liquid fats. Commercial lard has antioxidants added to it.

Many reputable suppliers carry ROE -- Magestic Mountain Sage, Wholesale Supplies Plus, Lotioncrafter being several examples.

Don't overdo the antioxidants, by the way. The right amount is the right amount. Adding more may increase the rate of oxidation, not slow it down.

Thank you, @DeeAnna. I do have home-rendered lard, and have been meaning to add ROE to it. Meanwhile, those one-gallon buckets are taking up a lot of real estate in my kitchen fridge.

My ever-patient, soap-supportive husband does have this thing, however, about wanting to keep FOOD in the fridge. Time order that ROE so I can make some master-batch containers that can be stored the soap cabinet, instead. :)

I also use a paint mixer attachment for my drill to mix my master batch before using. Works well to make sure all of my oils are well mixed!

I paid $9.99 for mine on Amazon (amazon.com/gp/product/B07YDHZLBR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

For anyone wanting to use one a few tips: 1) Check to make sure your drill is set to spin clockwise. 2) Insert fully before turning on. 3) Use a slow/low speed, you don't need to 'whip' your oils/butter. 4) Mix around the inside edge of your bucket a couple of times, then go up and down.

Depending on your ingredients and temperature, it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to mix thoroughly. I use 60% Hard Oils and store my bucket in my kitchen. Currently it is the consistency of a waffle batter, but that could change during the winter. After weighing out the amount I need, I pop it in the microwave for about 30 seconds per pound. Your microwave mileage will vary depending on wattage. but you are looking for clear oils. I then give it a good stir and continue on with making soap.

Back