Master Batch Lye: Confirm Concentration?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clarice

We are one...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all

is there a way to confirm that I have mixed my master batch lye (1:1) at the correct concentration?

I am 99% certain I made it correctly, but have a nagging doubt, as I just had another weird experience with a salt bar.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Clarice

A given volume of a 50% NaOH solution will be just over 1.5 times heavier than the same volume of water. A 33% NaOH solution will weigh 1.3 to 1.4 times as much as water.

If you can fairly accurately measure a given volume, then measure this volume of the masterbatch solution and weigh it. Weigh the same volume of water. Divide the masterbatch weight by the water weight. You should get a number that's around 1.5 if your NaOH solution is at 50%. If the number is closer to 1.4 or less, then maybe your NaOH solution isn't as concentrated as it should be.

Although this check is fairly easy to do, it's not going to be super precise. In particular, any inaccuracy in measuring the volume will easily throw your numbers off.

If you want more precision, you need to look at doing a titration experiment where you measure the amount of acid needed to neutralize the NaOH. Kevin Dunn has a kitchen-chemistry titration procedure in his book Scientific Soapmaking.

Last edited:
Thank you @DeeAnna

I THINK I know my issue - I got some indigo dye - Jacquard that I think is causing all my issues. Upon closer reading of the packet - it is a synthetic dye and is meant to be used with a reagent - I have a sneaking suspicion this is messing with my lye and wreaking havoc AND since I have been on an OCD indigo kick - all my recent batches have included it.

I am off to make a NON indigo batch and see if the MBL behaves properly (wise bets are on YES).

Hmmmmm, what jeans do I need to dye so I use up this indigo! LOL

I've never used indigo, so I can't say if it could be causing your troubles. I do know it can be finicky from what I've heard from cloth and fiber dyers. Best of luck!

Latest posts

Back