Marseille soap & type of olive oil question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapAddict415

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
About 2 months ago I HP'd a Marseille soap (42% olive oil pomace, 30% extra virgin olive oil, 5% castor & 23% coconut oil). I only made enough for a 4 oz bar & I loved it! It made a hard, creamy textured, ivory colored bar. Then I read on several sites that you're not supposed to use EVOO in soaps but nobody says why. Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't use EVOO in my soaps? Am I at risk for DOS or something down the road if I continue to use it or make a larger batch? I'd like to make more.
Thanks for any help!

I've been using EVOO in my soaps. Maybe it's just that it's considered a waste of an expensive oil that would be put to better use being eaten.

I use EVOO as well. There has been some problems with EVOO being adulterated, so that's one reason I know some soapers don't use it.

Thanks ladies :D! I've been getting my EVOO at my local fruit/vegetable market. It not only tastes good but it's only about $4 for a 1L (1 qt. 1.8 fl.oz) bottle. Since I split the amount of olive oil with pomace (I like the quicker trace), the olive oil lasts me longer. :thumbup:. I recently paid $5 for a 17 oz. bottle of "pure olive oil" at a discount grocery store (Save-A-Lot), because I thought it was what I was suppose to use. That was not a good deal :( !

Latest posts

Back