Making the break from commercial

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyclement05

Reaction score
Today, I did something I NEVER thought I'd do again. Today, I used a BAR SOAP for my shower ::GASP::
I stopped using [commercial] bar soap AGES ago, for the simple fact that they made my skin feel sticky, scratchy, tight, and dry. It was gross. I switched to lovely liquid shower gels, and eventually bar soap was nothing but a very bad memory.

Fast forward at least 20 years. I am now making my own bar soap. I can't stop thinking about bar soap. I am obsessed. Bar soap, bar shampoo, bar dog shampoo, bar shaving soaps. Every waking moment, and most of my sleeping moments, I am obsessing about soap!

As my first batch of soap has now cured for a full week, and while it feels like 5 weeks is still a lifetime away, I know that one day soon my bar soap will be ready for it's debut in my shower. And to be fair to it, I want to make sure that by then, I am not still harboring some of the terrible memories from my previous bar soap experiences. To this end, while shopping at the mall with my niece yesterday, I popped into L'Occitane to pick up one of their "famed" Shea Butter Milk Bars. And today, it made it's debut in my shower.

I was a little hesitant as I unwrapped it. I sniffed it, and then really inhaled the scent. It was delightful. I then put the soap in my hand and felt it's smoothness and firmness. The beauty of the bar was in it's simplicity. Once in the shower, I started lathering up the soap and was pleasantly surprised at the thick, rich lather. The soft scent filled the air and I could feel the soap doing it's thing, getting me squeaky clean without drying my skin out.

Once I was done, I immediately toweled off, noting that I wasn't soaking wet as I normally was with my usual shower gel. Not sure what happened there. I also noticed a tiny "drag" on my skin, but nothing that was unpleasant. Once I finished toweling off, I applied my usual tiny bit of home made body butter and immediately noticed the difference. The body butter absorbed nice and evenly and immediately left my skin feeling like absolute silk. I must admit, however, that I did miss my shower gel just a little, but my excitement for using my own, hand made soaps is such that I will continue using the milk bar as a point of reference. I know that with a bit of trial and error, I will be able to find a formula that is absolutely perfect for me, and that journey into the awesomeness that is soap making is what continues to drive my enthusiasm.

HOORAY for hand crafted SOAP (bars)!!!

LOL, good for you! Those L'Occitaine bars are expensive! The big bath bar is $14 in Canada...

Lilahblossom said:
Well I think most of us on this forum like soap so what the heck if you want to buy a special bar? I can't believe lush is really melt and pour??? hahaha.

WHAT? Lush is melt and pour?? I had no idea!

Hausfrau007 said:
LOL, good for you! Those L'Occitaine bars are expensive! The big bath bar is $14 in Canada...

They are pricey and my experience with is, thus far, is not bad, but not exactly blow-my-mind awesome. I have higher hopes for the handmade soaps I'm making, particularly my second batch, a Rosemary Mint bar. If the smell is any indication, it's going to be awesome!

dyclement05 said:
Lilahblossom said:
Well I think most of us on this forum like soap so what the heck if you want to buy a special bar? I can't believe lush is really melt and pour??? hahaha.

At least half of their soaps listed propylene glycol as the top five ingredients, and sodium lauryl sulfate is not far behind.

I use propylene glycol as engine antifreeze, but different strokes for different folks ... :twisted:

Seifenblasen said:
dyclement05 said:
Lilahblossom said:

At least half of their soaps listed propylene glycol as the top five ingredients, and sodium lauryl sulfate is not far behind.

I use propylene glycol as engine antifreeze, but different strokes for different folks ... :twisted:

I've actually seen a bunch of melt and pour videos out there showing how to make Lush bars, lol. I was surprised!

And I use lye as a drain cleaner :thumbup: Horray for multipurpose caustic chemicals!

Seifenblasen said:
dyclement05 said:
Lilahblossom said:

Good thing I'm learning to make my own soap... next up? bath jellies and bath bombs (my 9yr old niece loves both and has asked me to make her "like, a million bath bombs, Auntie D... please??!"

I can't resist the kid.

[quote="Seifenblasen]
I use propylene glycol as engine antifreeze, but different strokes for different folks ... :twisted:[/quote]

Really? Our antifreeze has ethylene glycol in it, which is completely different than propylene glycol. Antifreeze also has water in it, that doesn't make water bad.

If you are using this as a basis for comparison for your own soap, I wouldn't be surprised if you end up liking your own better. This has a high percentage of hard oils and not much in the way of conditioning oils, other than the shea. It also looks like they may be using a premade base. Saponified oils of Palm and PKO and acids derived therefrom, but also added glycerin, salt, sorbitol, various alcohols, aromachemicals, etc. Lye is so far down the ingredients list (after fragrance) that it may function primarily as a pH adjuster.

Ingredients
Sodium Palmate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) (Shea Butter), Sodium Palm Kernelate, Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Perfume (Fragrance), Elaeis Guineensis (Palm Acid), Sodium Chloride, Palm Kernel Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Extract (Rosemary), Glycine Soja Oil (Soybean), Sodium Hydroxide, PEG 75 Shea Butter Glycerides, Sorbitol, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Benzoate, Citronellol, Coumarin, Alpha Methyl Ionone, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Hydroxyisohexyl 3 Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde

Ingredients list cut and pasted from amazon.

Really? Our antifreeze has ethylene glycol in it, which is completely different than propylene glycol. Antifreeze also has water in it, that doesn't make water bad.

Not saying it is good or bad. Propylene glycol is actually less toxic than ethylene glycol and I use that in heavy trucks and equipments when I am doing work in ecologically sensitive areas. If there were ever a spill, it is less likely to hurt the critters.

judymoody said:
If you are using this as a basis for comparison for your own soap, I wouldn't be surprised if you end up liking your own better. This has a high percentage of hard oils and not much in the way of conditioning oils, other than the shea. It also looks like they may be using a premade base. Saponified oils of Palm and PKO and acids derived therefrom, but also added glycerin, salt, sorbitol, various alcohols, aromachemicals, etc. Lye is so far down the ingredients list (after fragrance) that it may function primarily as a pH adjuster.

Ingredients
Sodium Palmate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) (Shea Butter), Sodium Palm Kernelate, Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Perfume (Fragrance), Elaeis Guineensis (Palm Acid), Sodium Chloride, Palm Kernel Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Extract (Rosemary), Glycine Soja Oil (Soybean), Sodium Hydroxide, PEG 75 Shea Butter Glycerides, Sorbitol, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Benzoate, Citronellol, Coumarin, Alpha Methyl Ionone, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Hydroxyisohexyl 3 Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde

Ingredients list cut and pasted from amazon.

I actually did see this because a friend is trying to reproduce this type of soap. I said the same thing - that based on what I saw in their ingredients list, her (or my, and likely most other well crafted) handmade soap would be better. I look forward to being able to use mine!! Just five more weeks. I can do this.

Latest posts

Back