Making test batches

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rip55jcp

Reaction score
I am a beginning soaper and would like to make 1lb batches to test my recipes and my skills. Is a 1lb batch a good test of a recipe? Also, what can you use as a mold for this small of a batch? I want to produce a usable piece of soap to distribute to my testers.

Yes you can make a one pound batch. You might want to use gram measurements for a small batch, it will be much more accurate.

As for a mold, any box can be a mold when lined with freezer paper. A half gallon milk carton should work fairly well and allow you to cut bars from it.

My normal go-to test batches are 1 lb. Well, actually, really 1.3 lbs. because I like to pour a small portion of the batter off into an individual cavity, MilkyWay-type mold. But anyway, like Dory said, use gram measurements for accuracy (and also a good scale that can weigh at least as small as 1 gram with accuracy.)

You can use any kind of box (sturdy cardboard works great) and line with freezer paper, or even plastic garbage bags. I myself use a 1 lb. wood log mold. If it helps, the inside dimensions of it are: 5 1/4" long x 3 1/2" wide x 2 1/2" high. It makes 4 or 5 bars depending on how thin or thick I cut my bars.

IrishLass :)

You could also use a Pringles chip can. 1 lb would only fill it about half way, but I like it.

You would cut off the bottom of the can, and use the plastic lid side as the bottom of the mold. I also line mine with freezer or parchment paper.

Just to add to what others are saying, make sure that the box you use (ex cardboard box) is sturdy. You don't want the box too thin because when you add the base liquid inside, the box might bow or stretch, leaving a bulge in the middle of or your soap log. It's a hassle trying to fix it after so it's good to be prepared ahead of time.

Also, make sure you run your recipe through a lye calculator. I use BrambleBerry and here's a link in case you need it: http://www.brambleberry.com/pages/Lye-Calculator.aspx

You don't want the box too thin because when you add the base liquid inside, the box might bow or stretch, leaving a bulge in the middle of or your soap log. It's a hassle trying to fix it after so it's good to be prepared ahead of time.

Thats the effect I go for with milk cartons, it's neat. you get a square soap with bowed edges. Nice look.

Latest posts

Back