Making soy candles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FostersFields

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I make soy candles and wondered if any other soy candle makers prefer to leave their 'frosted' tops? When I first started making them, I tried and tried to pour perfect tops and got frustrated with it. After many hours of pouring and researching the soy I have decided that I will leave them alone. I always was under the impression that the tops had to be perfect for selling but I now realize its not about perfection at all...but rather about a really beautiful smelling pretty candle!

Also read that the frosting is a sign to my customers that the soy is in fact natural and some people look for it that way!

Anyone else on the same page?

I haven't really had any issues with frosting, however, I wouldn't worry about it. I've heard sellers say that it's a way to be positive that it's 100% soy wax, but anymore, you just can't tell, because many soy waxes are bloom resistant. If you do get it, embrace it. It's just a part of homemade soy candles. :)

Yes, I get that at times as well, and when I called the company I purchased the soy wax from, I was told to pour it at a cooler temp. . This seemed to help a lot.

Also, if it bothers you, you can turn on a hair drier and heat the wax. Works perfect !!

What does frosted top mean? I just realized one of the scents I ordered from Peak is not a skin friendly scent so I figured i might see what candle making was like, just to use the scent. I think for my first time I'd try a soy wax (seems pretty easy to use). Not doing this anytime soon (too many soaps to try!) but wanted to resarch and get an idea if it's something I want to do.

"frosted top" is just a thin layer of flakeiness on top of the candle . Not a bad thing, it's a natural occurance with soy.
:) Good luck with the wax/candles.

frosting is a white haze on the top and sides. i've never ever had flaking.

Hazel said:
Yeah, I'm watching. :wink:

Is it code? Have the aliens landed?!!!!

Aliens, if you are reading this. You will not find me in my underground bunker. So don't look there.

That is fantastic! Thanks for sharing. I didn't realize I had the wrong type of foil so I'm going to hurry out and get it right now! The aliens can beam all their mind reading rays they want at me. I'll be ready to deflect their evil intentions of trying to suck my great-grandmother's coffee cake recipe from my brain. BTW, this coffee cake is awesome to eat while drinking alien caffeine...which is why they want it. :wink:

Yeah, you want to make sure you use the right kind of foil. This is one instance where it doesn't pay to be cheap. Not when the fate of coffee cake and mankind is in your hands.

Resistance is futile!

I will not be in my bunker if anyone needs me.

I've had a few sore spots on my skull lately, I only said to dh last night, it must be the where they put the electrodes, :wink: must get the right foil before they take me away again .

Relle9 said:
I've had a few sore spots on my skull lately, I only said to dh last night, it must be the where they put the electrodes, :wink: must get the right foil before they take me away again .

Go to the store now!! We have very little time. :wink:

Back