Making own Laundry Detergent base soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teresa

Reaction score
Hello,
I wanted to make my own bar of soap to make my laundry detergent. I just didn't want to use the wrong ingredients in it...
Can i make one with olive and coconut oil or will that not be good for clothes?
Thanks for any help!

krissy said:
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5223

As soon as I find washing soda I will make this one. I printed the whole thing yesterday....

krissy said:
washing soda is usually in the laundry section. cheap too. :)

I looked all over, but they only have it at ACE Hardware and the one I knew about close to me closed. I went there yesterday and it was already out of business. Grrr..... I found another one not too far, I am going there today.

Just yesterday I made my first batch of "powdered" laundry soap.

Recipe:

1 cup grated soap
1/2 cup washing soda
1/2 cup borax

I have an HE washer and used about 1 tablespoon per load, and added vinegar to the rinse water. Worked great!

washing soda sometimes can be found in pool supply section .drawing blank how its set up in pool section will let ya know when i get home and can look at mine.

dubnica said:
Only 1 T? Wow....I thought I need to put liek 1/4 cup...

I used a rounded tablespoon on the large loads. I think you could use two, but my family tends to throw clothes in the wash if they even touch their body.

My step-daughter had a winter coat that smelled awful - some dirty cat laid on it, and it came out sweet smelling and fresh. And I use cold water.

Thanks for all the great ideas. going to try one of these out.....

I recently miscalculated the lye in a batch of soap and ended up with a very hard bar ( too much lye) It was fantastic for grating into laundry soap. I added 1/2cup washing soda, borax, and baking soda per cup of grated soap. It turned out grate!!
: )

Has anyone ever tried using sodium percarbonate (sold with some added goodies for much more $$ as oxiclean) instead of washing soda?

Since sodium percardonate breaks down into sodium carbonate (aka washing soda) and hydrogen peroxide, I thought it might work just as well...

Just used the homemade laundry soap on my towels, and they turned out fabulous! I never used fabric softener, but the homemade laundry soap with vinegar rinse made them really soft, fluffy, and absorbent. The rest of my laundry smells nice and fresh. And only using 1 - 2 tablespoons per load (and I have a HUGE HE washer). I'm never going back to regular laundry detergent!

The soap I used for this was just coconut oil and Crisco. Can't remember the percentages off-hand, but there was enough CO that soapcalc gave it a really high cleansing rating, and a marginally okay conditioning. I figured that would be just fine for laundry soap. And it was fairly cheap. I can get CO at WalMart for about $5 for two pounds.

kellyincville said:
Has anyone ever tried using sodium percarbonate (sold with some added goodies for much more $$ as oxiclean) instead of washing soda?

Since sodium percardonate breaks down into sodium carbonate (aka washing soda) and hydrogen peroxide, I thought it might work just as well...
I use sodium percarbonate for my laundry and for many other cleaning and disinfecting. chores. I order it by the five gallon bucket from The Chemistry Store. They do have it in 2 lb. canisters though.

kellyincville said:

Did some web research and it looks like it should work just fine. You would just need to be careful not to wash anything with it that you wouldn't wash with hydrogen peroxide. I think I may try this.

What I spoke of as a five gallon bucket was probably the 30 lb. bucket. I went to http://sodiumpercarbonate.net/
Their 36 lb size of sodium percarbonate with free shipping is definitely the better deal. I just ordered that size from them. Thanks for the tip.

I picked up a 2lb container at the chemistry store since I needed some other stuff as well. I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

Latest posts

Back