making harder soap methods; adjusting water to oil ratio?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leahjo534

Reaction score
a few months ago, I was once again doing research on ways I could make a harder, longer-lasting bar of soap. I had tried water reduction without a significant difference in the end product. in my depths of research, I found that someone had advised a method I hadn't heard of before. the end product was my best recipe yet. a bar from the recipe has lasted me at least 3 months and still has a ways to go. however, I lost the recipe and now I haven't been able to remember exactly how to remake it. it seems to me that it had something to do with adjusting the water to oil ratio but I'm not sure. and even if that's what it was, I can't remember what the ratio is that I did. would anyone be able to help me out?

Soaps that are high in hard fats such as palm, lard, tallow and butters (shea, cocoa and mango), last longer than soaps made with predominantly liquid oils or with a lot of coconut oil because they do not dissolve as quickly. If you’re looking to increase the longevity of your soap, I recommend that you read this article which explains how the fats used to make soap affect soap qualities, including longevity.

Soaps that are high in hard fats such as palm, lard, tallow and butters (shea, cocoa and mango), last longer than soaps made with predominantly liquid oils or with a lot of coconut oil because they do not dissolve as quickly. If you’re looking to increase the longevity of your soap, I recommend that you read this article which explains how the fats used to make soap affect soap qualities, including longevity.
thank you! I'll look into that article.

my recipe was
olive oil 50%
coconut oil 25%
shea butter 18.8%
castor oil 6.3%

Salt added to lye water also helps, I have found. I now prefer this to sodium lactate after someone else mentioned it. I now have an unopened gallon jug of sodium lactate sitting here :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back