Making coffee soap: Can I just substitute coffee for the water?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Penelope Jane

SH is Sodium Hydroxide. Probably not quite as dark as the soap in the pic earlier in this thread. Probably milk chocolate colour with darker speckles from the coffee grounds. If you want really dark soap wouldn't you be better of adding something like ground walnut shell? Though I have never used it myself so perhaps others could comment.

Penelope Jane

SH is Sodium Hydroxide. Probably not quite as dark as the soap in the pic earlier in this thread. Probably milk chocolate colour with darker speckles from the coffee grounds. If you want really dark soap wouldn't you be better of adding something like ground walnut shell? Though I have never used it myself so perhaps others could comment.

Thanks! Someone else said they used cocoa and I put it in at twice the rate they did and I didn't get the colour they did! It must just be me.

Thank you for your help though. :)

PJ

Cocoa powder over here yields a very rich dark brown. I just use the Hershey's brand, usually the Special Dark kind if I am coloring a "coffee" soap. But it will bleed if you use too much.

penelopejane, try adding vanilla to the cocoa/coffee.

I don't want it to bleed.

Cocoa powder over here yields a very rich dark brown. I just use the Hershey's brand, usually the Special Dark kind if I am coloring a "coffee" soap. But it will bleed if you use too much.

That might be the difference. We can't get it ultra dark over here!

Latest posts

Back