Making a Clean Start!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoshi

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Shoshi, and I live in the South West of the UK, near to the sea, with my hubby of 28 years and two female grey tabby kitties, and my 93 year old mum who lives in a flat in our house. I am attending a 5-week soap making course at our local adult education centre which is due to finish tomorrow night. We did 3 weeks of soap making, and last week we did bath bombs, and tomorrow we will do bath melts. It's the soap that attracts me the most, especially the gorgeous natural ones with essential oils and botanicals.

The teacher has provided everything we need for each class, so over the past month I have gradually been collecting materials and equipment from online sources, as I am very keen to continue doing this at home. It is also an introduction to essential oils - we have a masseuse on the course who knows loads about them and she has sparked my interest in aromatherapy and how we can use them to improve our environment and health, as well as in soap making.

My hubby has a very sensitive skin and cannot use most commercial soaps, but the very first soap I made, I gave to him and he loves it, so I intend continuing to make them for him. I also want to make them for gifts as well as for myself, and I am also very interested in making other skin products, and home cleaning products too. I have M.E. and have developed a sensitivity to strong chemical odours from commercial products, and I love the idea of making my own, that I know exactly what's gone into them, and which can smell how I want! It's an exciting new adventure.

I have a dedicated studio in our house where I do mixed media art and many other aspects of creativity. Full details on my blog.

I came across this forum while searching for something else and it looks as if it is going to be a good source of information and help for a beginner!

Looking forward to getting to know everyone and having the opportunity to learn and to chat.

Shoshi

Welcome:) I make my own soaps and lotions due the major allergies to commercial products too. It is fun and you should check the swiftmonkey blog. :)

Thanks for the lovely welcome everybody - so quick too! I expect it's the afternoon for most of you - here in the UK it is now after midnight but I keep very late hours and will probably be up for another hour or two.

Dahila, thanks for the link. I've just hopped over and it looks really interesting so I've signed up to follow.

JustBeachy - love your sig too! I love the Marx Bros. Have you read Harpo's autobiography "Harpo Speaks"? It's hilarious!

I chose an avatar and also a sig pic but neither of them seem to be showing, at least not on my computer. Are they showing up on yours? I wasn't told they were too big or anything, and they show in my profile.

Shoshi

Welcome Shoshi!

I cannot see your avatar. If it helps, I believe he size of the avatar pic can be up to 150 X 150 max, and the profile pic can be up to 200 x 200 max.

IrishLass :)

Last edited:
Thank you, IrishLass and Seawolfe.

The avatar is definitely smaller than they said, and the sig pic should be OK too. I'm not sure why they aren't showing.

Shoshi

Success at last! I had to try many times to get it to accept my pics. All seems OK now, though.

Shoshi

JustBeachy - love your sig too! I love the Marx Bros. Have you read Harpo's autobiography "Harpo Speaks"? It's hilarious!

I chose an avatar and also a sig pic but neither of them seem to be showing, at least not on my computer. Are they showing up on yours? I wasn't told they were too big or anything, and they show in my profile.

Shoshi

No I haven't, but it sounds like something I'd like to read. And your avatar and sig pics are showing up. Now...you are complete. :)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Saponista - we used to live in Plymouth too - in Weston Mill overlooking the dockyard. Now we're in Torquay. I've lived in the SW since I was 2 so really consider myself to be a Devonian as I don't remember living anywhere else. I grew up on Dartmoor and my first place was in Tavistock.

There appears to have been a problem with my sig - they've taken my tiger painting off! Also my Latin motto. Too much stuff I suppose. Oh well. I'm not sure why there's the option to put a picture there if they don't allow photos... Anyway, in case anyone's interested, I'll attach the tiger - it was a painting I did in my art journal a while back. I adore tigers.

Shoshi

95 Tiger Painting Edited.jpg

Hi Shoshi, and welcome. From one Trekkie to another, I Love the Borg reference in your tagline. You will find this site to be an ongoing course in itself. Everyone learns from one another. We share the successes and failures. Ideas are welcome as are questions. It's a great, supportive, eclectic, international community. Please contribute often.

Hi Shoshi, and welcome. From one Trekkie to another, I Love the Borg reference in your tagline. You will find this site to be an ongoing course in itself. Everyone learns from one another. We share the successes and failures. Ideas are welcome as are questions. It's a great, supportive, eclectic, international community. Please contribute often.

Thanks! Love your siggie too - and so appropriate on a forum where we are all into making sweet smells lol! One could also quote 1 John 1:9, also known as "The Christian Bar of Soap"!

I am sure I am going to learn loads on here. So far I am very impressed with what people make - great photos, and by everyone's friendliness.

Thanks for the welcome, everybody!

Shoshi

Thanks for more nice warm welcomes! This is a lovely friendly forum.

Benefieldclaus, I so agree. I'm very much into frugal/recycling mode these days and love making things that cost less, or better yet, are free, compared with shop bought stuff!! They also end up better too... I have just completed a mixed media mini-album made entirely from recycled materials and this has given me so much satisfaction! I love the idea of making soaps and (hopefully as I learn more) other skin products, knowing exactly what's gone into them and making them smell how I want, too. This is an exciting new adventure!!

Jules - I attached some photos of the soaps we made in the class, on the "how do you wrap your soaps" thread.

Shoshi

Back