Made a soap cutter today

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are suggesting using a jigsaw modified for this, or that your photo, the green metal WAS a jigsaw? I had not seen one that "deep" in the past. I am intrigued tho, as the jigsaw idea, if I could figure out how to "attach" to a hinge seems a pretty straight forward way to achieve this.
My English is very poor but I can speak Hungarian better. I think these pictures speak better than I do. ... The handle would only hinder the lower end position. :)
IMG_20190920_112246.jpg IMG_20190920_163822.jpg IMG_20190920_163849.jpg IMG_20190920_163931.jpg IMG_20190920_164008.jpg IMG_20190920_164030.jpg IMG_20190920_164054.jpg IMG_20190920_164111.jpg

Here is mine. Just be aware that the cutter part with the guitar string on it has now warped substantially. I used it yesterday but have to guide it through to the slit so it cuts evenly. The wood for the frame is quite strong, so I'm surprised at the warping. Also remember to back off the guitar string when not using it, then tighten it up again.

Dh made this for a Christmas gift in 2012.
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/my-xmas-gift-soap-cutter.30888/

Here is mine. Just be aware that the cutter part with the guitar string on it has now warped substantially. I used it yesterday but have to guide it through to the slit so it cuts evenly. The wood for the frame is quite strong, so I'm surprised at the warping. Also remember to back off the guitar string when not using it, then tighten it up again.

Dh made this for a Christmas gift in 2012.
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/my-xmas-gift-soap-cutter.30888/
In my device, the metal frame does not warp nor does the steel wire stretch significantly.

Didn't make it then, just bought it? Easy.
My X took ALL my tools when we got divorced. $30k in tools and machinery. So no I did not make it. I bought it so that I knew it would work flawlessly.
This is also my business so cutting 1 soap at a time is ridiculous for me. I make 16 bar batches.
Were you the one that said they were quitting a while ago?

My X took ALL my tools when we got divorced. $30k in tools and machinery. So no I did not make it. I bought it so that I knew it would work flawlessly.
This is also my business so cutting 1 soap at a time is ridiculous for me. I make 16 bar batches.
Were you the one that said they were quitting a while ago?
Yeah but I dug in and stuck it out..Proud of myself.

In my device, the metal frame does not warp nor does the steel wire stretch significantly.
I would be surprised if metal warped significantly to affect the cutting. The OP's one is made of wood, that's why I gave my feedback to them.

I would be surprised if metal warped significantly to affect the cutting. The OP's one is made of wood, that's why I gave my feedback to them.
Oh yeah. The metal (iron) does not change. It is stable because the frame is iron as well as the string is iron (stainless steel wire). So thermal expansion can't fool me for that either.

Back