Lye leftover in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deana73

Reaction score
Im new and made my 3rd batch of soap last nite. I was in a rush and pour the batter in the mold before all lye really melted. I can see some droplets sand like lye ( i used pellet)in the harden soap. Is it save to use?

I don't understand. Didn't you make a lye solution before adding it to your oils?
It's definitely not safe to use. You could rebatch though.

Please post your recipe and your process. Always dissolve lye in water before adding to oils.

Im new and made my 3rd batch of soap last nite. I was in a rush and pour the batter in the mold before all lye really melted. I can see some droplets sand like lye ( i used pellet)in the harden soap. Is it save to use?

You need to fully dissolve your lye pellets into the water for your batch before you pour it into the oils. No, if this batch has undissolved lye in it, it is not safe to use.

Soaping is best done when you have enough time to do it. Trying to squeeze in a batch in a short time frame, especially for a newbie, is just asking for disaster.

Rebatch? I dont understand. I thought has disolved in the oil. Will check it again

No. Lye does not dissolve in oil. It dissolves in a liquid which is water-soluable so milks, teas, water will dissolve lye. You need to dissolve the sodium hydroxide in your water before adding it to your oils.

Rebatch? I dont understand. I thought has disolved in the oil. Will check it again

Woops, please don't do that again! You'd better look for some basic information on soap making.
Jumping right in unprepared could be dangerous.

Back