Lye in my eye help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awesomebrazell

Reaction score
I was making soap late at night I was tired and a little drop of lye splashed up underneath my protective eyewear and went into the corner of my eye I have been rinsing for about 15 minutes now I'm a little concerned because it still hurts. Any one experienced this situation?

Can you go to an urgent care or something of that nature? I work with multiple chemicals at work. Caustic being one of them. Protocol is to rinse with water for 15 minutes then seek medical attention.

Thats scary. Glad it didn't get directly into your eye. Sometimes you can get a Pharmacist to look at it or give you directions on your next step. Usually at a small pharmacy....not like walgreens

Recommend get the safety goggles with elastic around your head, snug fit around the eyes, fewer gaps than the hard plastic safety glasses and less cumbersome than a whole head visor, although the latter is good for when washing up as that is the splatteriest part of all, and face lye burns are not the best look when people do seem to judege your skin to see what your products might do to theirs!

Chemical burns are very nasty. How is your eye doing today? Usually you would be prescribed some sort of eye drops to help with a burn.

I agree with Soapdragon, switch to goggles instead of the safety glasses. That's what I use and they'll give you better protection.

I'm doing fine all is well. I have definitely switched to goggles my husband made me lol. As far as the vinegar, I do diluted acv eye rinses quite frequently. It helped so much. It wasn't a lot that got in my eye just enough to make you stop what your doing and go directly to water. Vision is fine no more pain today.

I didn't think you were, sorry if I implied that. I was just hoping to get that poor soaper some help! Hoping she is ok today.
Its all good. I think you are the one who enlightened me about the vinegar a few months ago. I saw websites that suggested you keep it handy. I am glad that i didnt have to find out the hard way lol.

Although i think this site is a wealth of information and chock full of experience, i dont think i would post a question and hope for a speedy answer when it comes to something as serious as lye in or near the eye.

In the absence of a dr or urgent care to visit, i might just be inclined to stop by a pharmacy like... hey should i be worried about this? Or go to the er.

Glad the OP is fine. Lesson learned for all that reads this post ❤️

Its all good. I think you are the one who enlightened me about the vinegar a few months ago. I saw websites that suggested you keep it handy. I am glad that i didnt have to find out the hard
Yup, I’d read those some websites when I first started. Hard to combat the old myths when internet sites live forever and are rarely update.

I’m a pharmacist myself and, although I have Aspergers (according to my colleagues) an exceptional memory and more knowledge than most community pharmacists, treating chemical burn is definitely out of my comfort zone so the best advise I could have given you was “please to to the ER ASAP”.

Where vision is concerned, if there is any of these symptoms, we actually HAVE to redirect you to medical care:

• eye pain
• altered vision
• light hypersensitivity
• pupillary asymmetry

I accidentally burned myself with uncured soap batter tonight while cleaning up after CP, and I consider myself lucky the burn was not too bad. Now I’m seriously considering buying myself a pair of googles... 🧐

@josianeg Please get eye protection. I wear goggles if there's any chance of lye or raw soap batter getting into my eyes. Having worn contacts for the past 30 years, I know exactly how sensitive my eyes are and the thought of lye in my eye is the stuff of nightmares.

Latest posts

Back