Lye first or sugar first?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My last 2 batches, I've used sugar (added after the lye). It took a long time to get it to dissolve, leaving me to wonder if I'm supposed to add it to the water BEFORE the lye! Which is correct? Thank you!

I hope you don't mind me hijacking given your question is answered.

Why are you adding sugar to the soap? Especially if it is dissolved?

I usually pull out water about double the weight of the sugar from the water called for in the recipe. I add the sugar to this water (usually hot water), then add the alkali to the remainder as usual. I add the sugar water to the oils.

My last 2 batches, I've used sugar (added after the lye). It took a long time to get it to dissolve, leaving me to wonder if I'm supposed to add it to the water BEFORE the lye! Which is correct? Thank you!

Sorry just answered this in your other thread. Yes dissolve before lye as already said. I stir into my water and keep stirring until dissolved which works fine for me.

I masterbatch my sugar in a 1:1 solution with heated distilled water, and store it in a repurposed plastic bottle. Then I just add twice as much of this to a given soap batch (into the lye solution) as I need in sugar, and subtract half of it from the total needed water weight. This way I don't have to mess with sugar granules every time I soap, and the math is pretty straight forward.

I masterbatch my lye 50/50 so I dissolve my sugar in the additional liquid I am going to use. Powdered sugar dissolves very easy and the cornstarch from the powdered sugar does not affect the soap. I usually use more powdered than I would granulated sugar. If you try to dissolve sugar in your lye solution you take a big change of ending up with a chunk of crystallized sugar in the bottom of your container.

I DID NOT realize there was corn starch in powdered sugar!!! How did I live for 53 years and not know this??!?!!
Can anyone tell me, at what point the sugar increases temperature? In the lye (doubt it), during trace (maybe), after saponification (hoping so)...

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me, at what point the sugar increases temperature? In the lye (doubt it), during trace (maybe), after saponification (hoping so)...

Laura, in my experience it starts right from the start. Lye solution with sugar heats up more than without. Sugar in soap batter causes acceleration of trace. Sugar during saponification can cause the soap to erupt from the center if it heats up too much. By 'after saponification' I am not sure what you mean. When saponification is complete, the soap has already begun to cool down, so that's not when it begins.

I don't know if the lye solution heats up more with sugar added - I've never checked the temps with and without to compare. But I don't really see a significant acceleration of trace or overheating in the mold when I use sugar. I use it in almost every batch. Honey yes on both counts though.

Not after saponification. After saponification the soap is ready to cut, and should be cool, not hot and/or gelling. IME it starts to heat up more as soon as you add the lye solution (with sugar) to your oils.

Latest posts

Back